The Pronunciation Thread

V.V.V.V.V. said:
lol my favourite colour is green

this odour is foul

lolol

loul!!

fotmbm said:
Generally they're not supposed to be audible, but coming from Sweden where we actually use some of them, I say Deströyer 666, Motörhead, Tröjan and so on because it rules (and tröjan=the sweater in swedish).
Mütiilation is a trickier one than most though. Note to self: Always be more or less sober when deciding what your band will be called.
Did that answer anything? :erk: What do you mean "I say Deströyer 666..."?

I never understood the use of umlauts in certain names. I don't find it very metal, just sort of pretentious really.

i say it with a silent s "zath-ur"
but thats just because i cant be bothered with trying.

Melodeath said:
Did that answer anything? :erk: What do you mean "I say Deströyer 666..."?

I never understood the use of umlauts in certain names. I don't find it very metal, just sort of pretentious really.
I mean what I said, Ö is a letter commonly used in Swedish.

I think he meant "how does the ö sound?", y'know, just for the sake of us non-Swedish speakers.I read somewhere that people in Scandinavia and Germany giggle at the arbitrary insertion of umlauts into names like Mötorhead or what not because it messes with the way the word sounds...and I was wondering how, like in syllabic form.

I hate explaining this kind of thing, but mUUUUUUrder should be close enough.
Tröjan is my fave heavy metal umlaut because Tröjan means "the sweater"

Taake is actually a purposeful misspelling of Norwegian tåke, which is fog.

So, Tah-keh probably, but with a really small O sound in it. like (a)pple but move your mouth like (o)vary. Shouldn't really hear the "o" sound though. just softens the "Ah"

10207939.jpg

I think he meant "how does the ö sound?", y'know, just for the sake of us non-Swedish speakers.I read somewhere that people in Scandinavia and Germany giggle at the arbitrary insertion of umlauts into names like Mötorhead or what not because it messes with the way the word sounds...and I was wondering how, like in syllabic form.

Swedish has 3 letters that are non-existent in english - Å (å), Ä (ä) and Ö (ö). As with all letters they can be pronounced a little bit different depending on the word in which they are used but the basics are as follows (for all of you who know english):

Å is the like the o-sound in the english word "for".
Ä is like the a-sound in the english word "man".
Ö is like the first e-sound in the english word "merge".

Obviously the other letters in the alphabet may be the same graphically but sometimes, or most times, have a different pronounciation which is also why its funny when people think Myrkskog is pronounced "MEERK-skog" or even "Myrk-skuug" (more right but not quite I would say).

And yes "arbitrary insertion of umlauts" is funny because they dont make any sense and sometimes it changes the meaning of the band name (example provided above with Trojan/Tröjan).

That being said I probably make others laugh when I try to pronounce words, bandnames or not, that are foreign to me. One example is Phil Anselmo. I started out saying "Ansel-mo" until the guys in my band said it and they sad "Ansell-mo" (did that make sense?).

As far as Drudkh goes I too day Drood-kh or sometimes Druud-kh (with the h almost mute). I have no idea if its correct.