The Pronunciation Thread

I think Quo Vadis is pronounced "kwoh wah-diss," but I don't think a native Latin speaker would be able to tell the difference between a v and a w. Based on comparison with Sanskrit, I think the v and w sounds in Latin were used without discrimination, and in places where it was easier to pronounce. For example, the Sanskrit word "dva" was probably pronounced "dwuh" because it's pretty hard to put a d and a v right next to each other in the same syllable. Being that Sanskrit is pretty closely related to Latin, I think the same principle probably applied in the pronunciation.

TL;DR: I think the v in Quo Vadis was probably pronounced as a w, but based on my studies of ancient Indo-European language, I doubt that a Latin speaker would be able to distinguish Quo Vadis from Quo Wadis.

How was the "ae" in Solitude Aeturnus pronounced. As ei or ai?

Can someone tell me how to pronounce Anathema? I do have some idea how to pronounce it "anathema" in English but the name comes from a Greek word, so do you use the Greek or the English pronounciation??

10207939.jpg

I pronounce it dem-i-lik

Can someone tell me how to pronounce Anathema? I do have some idea how to pronounce it "anathema" in English but the name comes from a Greek word, so do you use the Greek or the English pronounciation??

How's the Greek pronunciation different than the English one?

The pronunciation difference tends to be in the vowels. The word ψυχή, romanized as psyche is pronounced "psoo-khei" (stress on the second syllable), but in English is pronounced "sai-khee" stress on the first syllable.

The pronunciation of anathema is with the stress on the second syllable in Greek. I'm not sure how it's usually pronounced in English, because it's not a word that's used very often. I'm guessing a-nuh-thee-muh (stress on the first syllable, with the first a like the a in apple) or uh-na-the-muh (stress on second syllable, with the second a like the a in apple).

The pronunciation difference tends to be in the vowels. The word ψυχή, romanized as psyche is pronounced "psoo-khei" (stress on the second syllable), but in English is pronounced "sai-khee" stress on the first syllable.

The pronunciation of anathema is with the stress on the second syllable in Greek. I'm not sure how it's usually pronounced in English, because it's not a word that's used very often. I'm guessing a-nuh-thee-muh (stress on the first syllable, with the first a like the a in apple) or uh-na-the-muh (stress on second syllable, with the second a like the a in apple).

greek way of Anathema: aanaa-thei-maa

So same rule for English: ana-thei-ma

for Ephel Duath, according to me: Efel Duat

The e is an "eh" sound. The Greek word is spelled with an epsilon instead of an eta.

Pretty easy one I think, but my friend disagrees.

I say Evile is EE-VILE, as in the letter E followed by the word Vile.

He says Evile is pronounced like Eville, rhyming with Deville as in Cruella Deville