The Purpose of Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what metal we are talking about. Majority of metal makes me agressive but Macabre is cheering me up as fuck. :)

I'm definitely not as into metal as most people here. I'm in middle school so i usually come home and listen to metal for about 2 or 3 hours after lax practice. I also am pretty new to metal, I've only been listening to it for about a year now. I first got into metal because of the anger and aggression. I'm a pretty pissed off kid so thats what got me into Slayer, Kreator, etc. Recently, metal has definitely been a lot more. It relaxes me, cheers me up, and still can get me pissed off as anything (especialy before games). So I guess metal is a pretty big part of my life but not as much as others(wish i could listen to my Ipod in class). Yeah, so there's my 2 cents. ASPHYX RULLLEZZZ

I think a better way of saying this is that whats the purpse of music.

Music to certain people is there hobby and there life

But like I said, I don't really believe that art really has a purpose. It should be a personal expression of an artist and nothing more than that. If other people can find a purpose in that (by for example enjoying it) then that's great. But it should never be the purpose to begin with (or atleast not the main purpose). If a band or artists makes music purely so other people will enjoy it then they're more of an entertainer than an artist in my mind (which is infact the category that I would put a lot of pop music "artists" into).

:err:

You are contradicting yourself. According to you there is no purpose in music or art but then you claim here that it should be personal expression.

Most art done seriously does have a purpose or some kind of ideology to fuel it. No, it's not just music. Like it's not just a painting or just a work of pottery. In the case of metal, 2 basic themes expressed are in the realms of emotion and fantasy.

I agree, my explanation was purely from the perspective of the public. Art absolutely has a purpose for an artist, the purpose of expressing themselves. I just don't think art should be imbued with an inherent purpose for the people viewing/listening it by the artist himself. They can attach their own purpose to it if they choose to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.