Most poorly produced albums of all time

I realize it's an aesthetic particular to the genre and time period, but Metallica set up a precedent for themselves on their previous albums of not only including a well rounded (bass) sound, but even showcasing the bassist in their band with bass solos and whatnot as Der Morgenstern mentioned.

Also there were other thrash bands that while may have had a mid-heavy mix on their albums but still let the bassist stand out. The obvious example that comes to mind is Sadus.

Relative to previous Metallica works that AJFA does not sound good, I can't disagree, but I still think that it's far from the nature of this thread. Sadus is kind of the opposite extreme being a showcase for DiGiorgio's mastery of controlled flatulence. Generally speaking thrash bands don't allow their bassists out of the basement, and if they do, it's only for the obligatory boinga-boinga Anthrax-esque stop-start part. Nothing worth missing, tbh.

black album poorly produced? you lost me on that one there

Read my post in context and then construct a more educated opinion accordingly.

And I know that "lack of bass" goes beyond simply being able to hear the bass guitar, but it's still a problem with a good many ultra-dry late 80's thrash albums.

Slayer's South Of Heaven is a good example of dry production done right. You can still hear everything. As opposed to AJFA, where the main thing you can hear is the ridiculously overblown rhythm guitar farting and bottoming out over everything.

AJFA has a lot of problems other than production and no bass. There's not much going on and the songs are 2,3 minutes too long. I actually prefere the s/t. Slayer and metallica had some great production jobs for the most part and now have really shitty production. Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightening is proof that metal music should be analog or atleast strive for it. A lot of bands do actually regardless record Digital.

AJFA was my first metal album so I still love it. Probably the worst out of the first four but still a great album nonetheless. I always hated the self-titled.

As opposed to AJFA, where the main thing you can hear is the ridiculously overblown rhythm guitar farting and bottoming out over everything.
Not it doesn't. Not when compared to either Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets. Even the Black album sounds better. It was just the one album of their first 10 years that I find has horrible production when it comes to the drums and as unknown pointed out, the bass is mixed out of the album for the most part.

But that's a whole different story.

=

baby-crying.jpg

I may be stupid, but I am not one to mindlessly esteem an album because of its status in the metal community. I heard that album and fell in love with it back near when it came out. There was nothing I noticed as enough of a distraction to change that. Thus it is somewhat hard to imagine others doing that. It's just human nature to think like that.

I never called you any names based on your opinion of this album.

Obviously I was joking about not accepting your answer. I am not Alex Trebek.

I never inserted my bullshit ideas into your statements. I simply repeated what you said, which is that there are things about PTK which keep you from enjoying it.

I'm sorry I wasn't responding to you per se... I was merely using your post as a place to respond to everyone in general... thus I wasn't merely saying what you was saying was bullshit.
And yeah there are plenty of albums that I like but have a hard time listening to because of certain elements... Goat Horns is another example... great songs for sure but the synths are really cheesey, the drums are fake and the guitar tone is incredibly weak and thin. Had it been produced correctly it may have been their best.
Back to Kreator... for me thrash has to be tight... and while I dig the songs on that album I cannot wholeheartedly go "ITS THE FUCKING BEST THRASH EVER OMGZ" because the sloppy playing is distracting. Honestly I dig the live vesions of those better because of that reason.
And anyone who cannot honestly see that point of view as a valid or reasonable opinion is being ridiculous.

Goat Horns is another example... great songs for sure but the synths are really cheesey, the drums are fake and the guitar tone is incredibly weak and thin. Had it been produced correctly it may have been their best.

This is one I can agree with; though I actually enjoy the dual-keyboards at the forefront, the GODDAMN BASS sounds like a rubber band. Fucking irritating.

And lemme guess, you like Coma of Souls better? ;) Secret trivia time: I do too. But I love PTK and EP too!

Let's just both agree that Kreator rips.
actually Extreme Aggression is my favorite.

Controversy: Blessed Are The Sick

I remember being so pumped to listen to this for the first time coming off of Altars of Madness, and then that lifeless wimpy dry guitar comes in on Fall From Grace. And that's a great riff, too. But the production on that album ruins it for me. All the elements sound detached from each other. It sounds like they are trying to be heavy but they failed.