Worst and most dissappointing albums of 2003

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Since its the end of the year, what albums did you download, buy, or just listen to, that stunk and/or failed to live up to your expectations. Id like to open this up to non-metal as well as metal.

Metalwise off the top of my head, I was mostly disappointed in Opeth, Morbid Angel, Nevermore, Darkthrone, Sepultura, The Haunted, the kovenant, black label society, Neurosis, and i am sure i will think of a bunch more later.

Metallica was just awful, beyond bad, so bad i couldnt stop laughing. Queensyche might as well retire as well, as Tribe was awful.

Oh and my brother played me the new Godsmack and Korn records- god are they total total shit. I would be surprised if either band continues to sell as many records as they have. Even dumb kids have some taste.

Non metalwise, I wonder how The white stripes became so popular as they have without a doubt two of the worst musicians i have ever heard in a band of their popularity, that being said they have written some good songs.

I cant decide on worst drummer of the year- Lars or the chick from the White Stripes?

I really didn't expect alot for Metallica's St. Anger, as I'm not really a fan of the band, but hell, that one SUCKED!
And I agree, The Kovenant's latest was a huge disappointment. Although it was kind of expected, as the lack of quality showed in Animatronic, compared to especially Nexus Polaris. I say cut the electronic crap.

I really can't think of any other disappointments so far...

Can't denie Meg White being a horrible drummer, but i find The White Stripes brilliant, actually! I'm not really into superteqnicians when it comes to guitarplaying, so i like Jack White guitaring. He's not really good, i'm awere of that, but he plays with "his soul", wich i think is brilliant!
I like it simple :worship:

the white stripes are so damn hyped,
i really dont see whats so good about two people playing boring music...???

OH!!! I got one... But i don't remember if this one came out in 02 or 03?
The first album/e.p from Mezzerschmitt, a sideproject led by Hellhammer and Blaspheemer from Mayhem. I was really looking forward to that one, and it had it's moments, but the german accent and nazi-like substance ( :loco: ) kind of ruined it a little....

fenrizz said:
the white stripes are so damn hyped,
i really dont see whats so good about two people playing boring music...???
Yeah yeah yeah...
Guess we're all different, and I don't find TWS boring at all... Although Darkthrone bores me alot! Don't kill me, everybody :loco:

by the way the Neurosis/Jarboe isn't exactly a Neurosis album, they're gonna release their own next year. that said, it did kinda dissappoint me, although i still like it.... and i guess St. Anger would be the obvious answer, although it did have its moments. can't really think of anything else...

Entombed - Infreno
Darkthrone - Hate Them

As much as St. Anger sucks, I was not disappointed because I knew it was going to suck. I only listened to it once after downloading it, and then never listened to it again.

"As much as St. Anger sucks, I was not disappointed because I knew it was going to suck"

This man speaks the truth. I did not expect it to sound better than my bad gas.

Here's my list:

Opeth - Damnation (zzzz)
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (not bad but not good either)
The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution (it's obvious Devy has run out of ideas so he just rehashes his old ones... evolution... yeah right!)
Strapping Young Lad - s/t (Devy ran out of ideas so badly that he lets his bandmates (who have never had any good ideas) write the bulk of this album. It shows)
A Perfect Circle (I forget the title of this album, but man is it a snoozer)

OK, Dumbass me actually had a little bit of hope left in Metallica. I wanted St. Anger to be good. I really did. Unquestionably the biggest disappointment.

And I find the White Stripes to be quite horrible, also. I'm almost ashamed that their from the Detroit area.

Dissapointing:
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality - After Dreaming Neon Black and The Politics of Ecstacy, I really do expect more from Nevermore. This is just not good enough, and the production is terrible.

Metallica - St. Anger - I don't put this under plain terrible, because I did hope above hopes that this might be a return to form for Metallica. Obviously not.

Entombed - Inferno - From a band which has released so much classic material, Inferno is very much a dissapointment, despite having its (relatively few) moments.

Plain Terrible:
Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion - Yuk. I've always suspected Angela Gossow was up to no good, she only just managed to hold her own on Wages of Sin. This however is just horrible.

Chimaira - The Impossibility of Reason - I read a review and and an accompanying interview for this album, and they namechecked some classic metal bands (Maiden, Priest etc) so I figured it would be worth checking out. It now holds its reside in very small pieces at the bottom of my bin.

yeah i forgot about how unimpressed i was with Entombed. I played it once, and it has never been played again.

I agree Luminous, that Devin;s two releases were both subpar for him. Still I enjoy listening to SYL.

Yeah the White stripes have some good songs, and they play with soul, but god they really need to take some music lessons down at the corner music store. It just amazes me that a band with such songwriting talent, and soul, who have decided to be career musicians, still cannot play the drums better than a 10 year old beginner, or a guitar solo. They are professional musicians for christ sakes. THey are still better to listen to than the strokes, or the vines etc. Garage rock needs to stay in the garage.

st anger for me too-read all the usual"its back to the old style"pre release bullshit,bought it,played it,binned it.
i havnt heard the whole album,but the songs i've heard by funeral for a friend really havnt lived up to the hype they've been getting.
the white stripes-is there a vomit smilie?