Most poorly produced albums of all time

Kara-Shehr

Sep 2, 2010
black metal is obviously known for shitty low fi sound quality, but thats done on purpose. there are some records out there where you listen to it and its like "this would totally kick ass if they would have mixed this differently" or whatever

what are some of the most awful sounding records you've ever heard in your life?

^I agree with that for some newer releases, its particularly noticeable on remasters of old albums i.e. the Judas Priest/Iron Maiden ones. Production can be too clean I think.

However I think the lo-fi production of a lot of black metal makes it sound really crap, the riffs are almost incomprehensible on some of it, I don't understand why this is done deliberately. The only BM I can get into is stuff with at least slightly decent production.

Hypocrisy -The Fourth Dimension
Edge of Sanity -Nothing But Death Remains...., how an album can be put out and no one notice volume drops and that one song has lower volume than the rest of the album is beyond me. If only this album was recorded at Sunlight. Dan Swano does some really retarded things.
Morpheus Descends `Ritual Of Infinity. Songs have different sound. Sounds like a compilation/demo cd. As in half the album sounds good and half of the songs sound like previous demo's that were not re-recorded. Can't listen to the album.
Accidental Suicide - Deceased. ^ to fucking bad.
Funebre-Children of The Corn.... I mean Scorn. Whoever Timo Tolkki from Stratovarius is can fucking die.
Possessed-Beyond The Gates.
Death-Leprosy.
Slayer-Hell Awaits.

Gris - Il Etait Une Foret.

Amazing music ruined by a piss-poor production full of static noise and "s9a8da90s8da9s8dasodjasjkdaskjdhaskjdhaskdjhaskdjhaskdjashkfxfmksdfsd" sounds plaguing the album.

Hypocrisy - The Fourth Dimension
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
Metallica - St. Anger
Necrodeath - Into The Macabre (the mix kicks ass, but the production sucks)

Slipknot's Vol 3: The Subliminal Verses.

Metallica's St. Anger and Death Magnetic.

All black metal I've been exposed to.

All Yngwie Malmsteen's releases since he started mixing them himself.

I agree with Karmablade. Most modern albums have such an emphasis on having a loud, clean production that it totally ruins everything. No mood, no emotion, no character...just a sterile, generic sound.

It really is amazing how much of an impact that production has on the listener (like myself) and this is very noticeable when I compare just about any remastered album to it's original.

Belphegor's last three albums have featured terrible production but Pestapokalypse VI is an album that I absolutely struggle to get through. Just a prime example of how modern production techniques can butcher the music.

Really? I never had a problem with either. Especially not the Kreator. Killing is a little thin, but it seems to be what it should be.

He's right about both... KIMBABIG is very thin sounding and PTK is simply not crisp enough. Worst of all though is the sloppy ass drumming on PTK constantly throwing the music off beat. Which is why I far prefer the 3 albums after it.