The REAPER appreciation thread!

I used to use REAPER a lot, but I've had to switch over to Logic Pro 9 as it's what my course is being taught on right now. I really like Logic, but there are some features I'd love to have in Logic from REAPER, such as the play rate fade fader when I need to practice my shit before recording. I also like the fact that in REAPER when you cut something, it cuts where you want it, not a couple of frames out (which makes looping incredibly annoying). It doesn't happen often, but it seems to happen at the worst of times.

Yeah. And I'm still using it outside of the allotted time, mostly because I'm practicing my shit. I will be refusing to charge for anything I do until I own the program, at least.

Reaper is amazing. But I still have one question. Is it possible to make Reaper to act like Logic when recording guitars with two mics. In Logic there´s cool feature when recording many takes to one track, you can double click that track and all takes are shown down of the track and editing and take changes are very easy to do. Also when you group two guitar tracks and edit one, the other one gets also edited same way. How to do all this in Reaper?

The second answer is : simply group them together, any edit to one will affect the other one (you can use a DI to help edit the amped track since transients are easy to see on DIs)

I didn't totally get your first question but it looks like a specific Logic behaviour

Thanks!
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/jul10/images/Logic_2.jpg I mean this. Is it possible to do this in reaper?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/articles/reaper-0411.htm

Reaper_4.jpg

Another great thing about reaper is one of their developer also runs/created stillwell/schwa which are amazig plugs. Demo is the same as reaper And very affordable.

I started using Reaper 4 for the current project I'm doing and haven't missed PT9 at all. I'm still a bit weirded out by the grouping in Reaper compared to e.g. Logic and PT9 (it seems you need to do most similar functionality in Reaper with temporary groups?), but otherwise I haven't really had any problems at all. Except maybe that my default fade shapes never seem to be the one I choose from the settings, which is kind of weird. I really like the customizability and mixing workflow, but I still feel really slow with mucking about in the arrange view, changing track heights and such.

I have had it crash on me quite a few times though, so it doesn't seem to be quite as stable as PT9 on my system. I'm pretty sure it's because of 3rd party plugins though, which is specifically why I switched. Well, that and PT9 crashing once or twice while recording.

I'll have to see how it suits my workflow in a different setting, since the stuff I record with it currently is live. So no take comping or any such specific editing is involved. I have a feeling I'll stick with PT though for those things, I just like the recording, editing and the workflow with the playlists and all, it's just so incredibly fast and logical. Still use Logic on the side for my own stuff though.

Couple of questions:

EDIT: Scratch the gain question. Found the pre-fader gain control!

Also, got another odd recording setup and was wondering why exactly my direct guitar signal wasn't being picked up by Reaper. The first problem might be that I have the 32bit version and was trying to run it on a 64bit machine.

Guitar - Direct into a Phonic Sonicstation16 - RCA cables - M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - Reaper.

Any clues as to why Reaper might not have been picking up the signal? I was gonna jam with a friend using the Poulin amp sims and we spent like 2 hours trying to figure out how to get this shit to work! I went to the Audio preferences and told it input was from the M-Audio, but nothing came of it.

Shinozoku said:
Couple of questions:

In an old thread about gain staging on here, somebody suggested applying a trimming plugin to your tracks if they're too hot. I an't seem to find anything like this in Reaper, though! Anyone care to shed some light here?

Also, got another odd recording setup and was wondering why exactly my direct guitar signal wasn't being picked up by Reaper. The first problem might be that I have the 32bit version and was trying to run it on a 64bit machine.

Guitar - Direct into a Phonic Sonicstation16 - RCA cables - M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - Reaper.

Any clues as to why Reaper might not have been picking up the signal? I was gonna jam with a friend using the Poulin amp sims and we spent like 2 hours trying to figure out how to get this shit to work! I went to the Audio preferences and told it input was from the M-Audio, but nothing came of it.

Regarding your first question, someone made a thread about exactly that one or two years ago, it's a pain in the butt to search on my iPhone (I'm also at work) but if you have a search you could find it, I can't remember who posted it. But it is possible, with any parameter of any plugin.

About the second, I've never used that sonic station you mention, but are you sure you're connecting the RCA out into an RCA in and not Spdif? Doesn't your m-audio have an instrument input? Sorry I can't really help cause I don't know the gear, but I don't see why you don't just go straight into the m-audio.

If it were my own, I'd have a better interface :p Alas, it belongs to a buddy of mine.

But I didn't think about that...

Duhr. *searches the soundcard again.*

EDIT: No instrument input. Only RCA, SPDIF and MIDI. And the connectors work fine, as my friend has recorded through it before. I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm trying to go direct in.