The return of Belgian Redneck

I got 60% scholarship and the rest is student loans. Contrary to what many believe UT isn't more than USF or UF, etc. You get a 6K state scholarship for transfering to a private university, and it's still a lot cheaper than many other private universities.
Tuition runs about 20K a year, with all scholarships I am down to about 8K/year. I don't qualify for other scholarships as my salary puts me in a higher bracket. I will try to change that for next year's FAFSA.

I got 60% scholarship and the rest is student loans. Contrary to what many believe UT isn't more than USF or UF, etc. You get a 6K state scholarship for transfering to a private university, and it's still a lot cheaper than many other private universities.
Tuition runs about 20K a year, with all scholarships I am down to about 8K/year. I don't qualify for other scholarships as my salary puts me in a higher bracket. I will try to change that for next year's FAFSA.

Wow... that is a lot, USF is anywhere from 2500-3000 a semester for 9 graduate credits. Better hope for a great paying job after that robbery

I'm at $4K/yr for my engineering transfer to Old Dominion University. Yous guys are getting ripped off. :lol:

Oh, and what great jobs come from 'South American studies' except at the IMF? HAH

Fenrisúlfr;7744556 said:
I'm at $4K/yr for my engineering transfer to Old Dominion University. Yous guys are getting ripped off. :lol:

Oh, and what great jobs come from 'South American studies' except at the IMF? HAH

I guess your concept of South America is quite wrong and biased, but again, you are entitled to your opinion.
That's the type of non sense I can't even waste my time arguing about.
But since you posted twice about it, and twice seemed to find that type of study ridicule, that pretty much end this conversation.

I guess your concept of South America is quite wrong and biased, but again, you are entitled to your opinion.
But since you posted twice about it, and twice seemed to find that type of study ridicule, that pretty much end this conversation.

I cannot count the number of debt defaults from that continent on my fingers, and there is a chance my toes may fail me as well.

It is not on account of my ridicule that you ended this conversation, it is because you cannot troll worth a centavo! :lol:

Btw .. to add something non school related, I have been deeply involved in the American Homebrewers Association and promoting local beers on FL markets.
I think Gnoff could relate.
There are some good brews coming your way in the FL swamps and surrounding states with some amazing things hitting stores fairly soon. All of that brewed right here in Tampa area.
One limited beer that we have been thinking about would honor the Tampa death metal scene.

Cheers !

oooh, sounds nice!
Bring me some :)

oooh, sounds nice!
Bring me some :)

Trading to Europe is damn expensive in just shipping costs and just ensuring the bottles will go thru customs.
I can keep some bottles for when I go back to Europe and we can find a way for you to pick them up. My brother lives in Berlin.

You can always stop by here on Nov15th ... official Stone's only release party for the FL swamps, 13 taps, many old vintage. :worship:
RIS tap I must drink.

I would get into the whole thing about studying to better yourself as a valuable goal if it was not for the fact that I have an undergrad, a postgrad and a masters and I cannot get a job for shit.

And precisely today I have been rejected from a job I used to do 4 years ago, yet now, with more experience and more skills, I was turned away. And that is the stuff that I get an interview for... So I am not going to waste my time arguing anything since 99.99% of employers just seem to want stupidity. :rolleyes:

Well done on having the balls and dedication to complete your Masters, Belgar- Do you have to defend your dissertation in front of the faculty in US universities, or just hand in and graduate?

Thanks for your kind words Lass, I hope your job hunt will pay off. I don't know what the MA final project is right now, ususally the whole year is spent on a big final paper and doing a defence of it in front of a jury. I do know that we are strongly encouraged to do a semester or a year abroad in the country / area of specialization, either in a working environment or at a partner university. It all depends of financing. If that fails, I will switch to extra undergrad cert. that are on par with the MA prog.
I know many students of this program who got placement jobs at the UN, US embassies, at big corporations in south america as consultant or at other universities, some got jobs here in the US, especially in FL as cultural coordinators for the city in ethnic latin programs, others as history/anthropology professors and researchers, ... etc. Most did not go beyond the BA cert.

Trading to Europe is damn expensive in just shipping costs and just ensuring the bottles will go thru customs.
I can keep some bottles for when I go back to Europe and we can find a way for you to pick them up. My brother lives in Berlin.

You can always stop by here on Nov15th ... official Stone's only release party for the FL swamps, 13 taps, many old vintage. :worship:
RIS tap I must drink.

Yeah those shipping prices suck :(

Can't make it on Nov 15, gotta brew both 15 and 16 ;)

Berlin is a nice city, visited for about 3 days in June, made most of the brew pubs in an extensive beer search :)

Thanks for your kind words Lass, I hope your job hunt will pay off. I don't know what the MA final project is right now, ususally the whole year is spent on a big final paper and doing a defence of it in front of a jury. I do know that we are strongly encouraged to do a semester or a year abroad in the country / area of specialization, either in a working environment or at a partner university. It all depends of financing. If that fails, I will switch to extra undergrad cert. that are on par with the MA prog.
I know many students of this program who got placement jobs at the UN, US embassies, at big corporations in south america as consultant or at other universities, some got jobs here in the US, especially in FL as cultural coordinators for the city in ethnic latin programs, others as history/anthropology professors and researchers, ... etc. Most did not go beyond the BA cert.

Oh, OK, so your course is roughly the equivalent in terms of demands to a UK MSc program. When I went through mine the only hard part was choosing the dissertation topic, even if in the UK you do not have to defend in front of the faculty (man, from what I heard, even PHD defense here is not that traumatic, but the US sounds worse)

Choose wisely... after 6 months working on a single area even what seemed your passion can turn into your worst enemy... And you envy the people who did not go beyond the BA.

From what I know, the one person who quit their thesis and settled for the BA was the only one in my course who ended up working for the UN in Geneva :cry: Buena suerte, compañero, thats for sure.

Well speaking of psychiatry, its not my country which is about to elect an inexperienced politician as president (who critisises politicians for spending too much money all the while spending 5 times more than his predecessors in his electoral campaign) in a time of crisis like the US has probably never seen before.
Here we vote for a liar, asshole, and demagogue (sp?) as president, but at least he knows how to get his way. :)

Well speaking of psychiatry, its not my country which is about to elect an inexperienced politician as president (who critisises politicians for spending too much money all the while spending 5 times more than his predecessors in his electoral campaign) in a time of crisis like the US has probably never seen before.
Here we vote for a liar, asshole, and demagogue (sp?) as president, but at least he knows how to get his way. :)

Please tell me Sarkozy is getting the boot. That guy just makes me sick.

Who's the demagogue by the way? Le Pen?

Please tell me Sarkozy is getting the boot. That guy just makes me sick.

Who's the demagogue by the way? Le Pen?

no, Sarkozy is the demagogue, and I do hope he will get the boot but I don't think he will unless the events with the "depression" do get worse and theres some sort of impeachement or revolt or something.

Le Pen on the other hand is a great man, he will be missed.