The School/Uni Thread

my thesis cleared today which basically means I'm done with my master's. All I have to do is take it to our campus copy center for binding, microfilming and such. Of course, this means I get to shell out $300. Unfortunately it's required because this clears my graduation requirement.

I feel so relieved that it's all finally done. It only took two years (the thesis)

ZPLQ8.jpg

edit: and as a side note, Don Anderson of Agalloch commented on my picture on Facebook. I thought that was fucking awesome

Well firstly, what kind of art are you studying and how do you want to pursue it in the professional world? Obviously following what you want to do is extremely important but you just have to make sure it's reasonable; i.e. not dying in a pit of debt.

Well, I've always wanted to work on video games, and nowadays, there's mad money to be made in that department. Since I hate 3D modeling, I'll pursue the concept art area, so it'll be drawing both digitally and physically. Also music. And maybe something else.

so now that I am (once again) graduating, I am (once again) faced with the anxiety of not knowing what to do. I've applied to all of the local universities that are hiring for Composition instructors, but a lot of them are just applicant pools...probably five billion people applying for one or two spots. I'm the impatient type where I want to know right away. A lot of these jobs probably won't fill until around the end of summer once universities have staffed their courses.

nothing else really appeals to me. I really don't want to be at the grocery store for another 5 years

This probably should go in the rant section but what the hell:

In 2002-2003 I attended a local community college fulltime while working fulltime. I got burnt out and quit (with a 3.0 achieved through not doing homework and showing only half the time for class), and then shortly thereafter joined the Marines.

Through the time in service I was granted access to the GI Bill. So my intent was to start from scratch at what is now my local CC, refresh, slam home a 4.0(+) with actual focus, and then trasfer to the Psychology/Philosophy Undergrad programs at East Carolina University.

So after enrolling in courses for the summer and being approved/paid out etc, I get notified a week into classes by the CC's VA reps that the VA will not cover for me to take classes that I already passed at some point (that it was a decade ago does not matter). So only one of the 3 classes I was taking is covered, which forfeits my extra benefits based on full time enrollment, so I wound up just paying out of pocket for everything for the summer semester. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. And my wife and I made too much money last year when we were both working to qualify for FA for this year so that option is out.

On the positive side: Basically two 12(+) hr semesters over the fall/spring will allow me to start my Junior year at ECU in the Fall '13.

You know the American public school system is failing when college level english classes have to take the time to remind people that "Chester droors" does not exist.

Wrapping up my associates, carrying a 4.0 average at the moment, hoping I can finish that out.

Registered for classes today at ECU for the fall:

German Level 1
Business Statistics (In place of Psychological Statistics which was completely full up/full wait list)
Psychology of Adjustment
Psychology of Personality
Intro to Ethics.

Going to start at Pasadena City College in August.

I will study geology for a couple years and get an Associate's, then I'll transfer to a university to continue my education.

In the past month I finished my M.A. in Mathematics and found a part-time job teaching at a community college. Things are looking up if I can find one more teaching job. Otherwise I'll be juggling teaching and bagging groceries.

For those of you choosing a major, it really matters. Your major decides whether you will have a good job or not. If I could do it over I would have majored in an applied Math such as Accounting, Engineering, or Computer Science. That's where the good jobs are.

In response to Baroque, no. Unfortunately, it's what you do and who you know in college that determines a lot. A buddy of mine is a mechanical engineer from Cal Poly Pomona, a very prestigious university for engineers. Did well and mechanical engineering is traditionally a safe field. It took him three years to find a job even remotely related to what he's doing.

I majored in English, and while in college I worked as a writing tutor, academic advisor and taught as a graduate student. As a result, I was able to get a teaching job right out of grad school. Reddit recently had a thread asking people what their majors were in college and whether they were doing anything related to their fields. The top replies were all from STEM majors doing things completely unrelated to their fields.

Make connections. Do shit.

I majored in English, and while in college I worked as a writing tutor, academic advisor and taught as a graduate student. As a result, I was able to get a teaching job right out of grad school.

Make connections. Do shit.

Replace English and writing with Math and you have my situation too. Major still matters, if you want a shot at a job better than teaching. Sure a lot of STEM majors don't end up in their field, but at least they have a shot. And there are loads of jobs in Accounting which I mentioned.