THE SHRED THREAD

No tapes in general sound like crap. Maybe the ones they make today don't I don't know. But there is clear difference between my old tapes and my cd's

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
Studio quality tape has a completely different sound but there is a reason it's "studio quality". I know record companies used to claim they used high quality tape like BASF etc but lets face it when anyone could buy a blank tape in just about any store for about $3 and there was only about 5 tape manufacturers in the world did they really expect us to believe they were buying better than $3 tape in bulk....probably but people aint stupid.

Reactions: redfly
Hahah yeah, they really thought they were fooling everyone. I have a mint Metal church tape of Hanging in the balance. Doesn't work, no reason for it not to work. You put it in and it just clicks off. I checked some other tapes and they are warped, no real reason for them to be except they are so damn fragile.

Yeah I've got a few tapes that were stretched from over playing, which really can't be avoided given the way the tape runs through the heads. And I've got a couple that have stretched due to heat. CD's and LP's warp but at least they still play. I like LP's but hate the new price for them and they really aren't kid friendly. Given my computer is on pretty much all the time I tend to convert everything to digital these days and accept that it's just not the same in favour of the convenience.

CD's are pretty good unless they get a scratch following the track. My Life After Death CD has a scratch on the second CD that only one of my CD players gets by. The kids have a few scratched DVD's that play in one DVD player and not the other and one that wont play in any of them. But in general they are pretty good. I find data CD/DVD's the worst some of them seem to be made uneven and while they work you can actually hear the disc spinning in the drive cradle. That annoys me.

It's that spinning that could be the worst for a CD because if there is something on the cradle it's going to scratch in roughly the same circular line the track runs.

I had it happen to a couple of PC games. Not overly worried about it now but when it happened I was pissed off.

I did Racing games and Warcraft and some like that early on but I also loved the Tex Murphy detective games and back in the 90's when graphics where really bad I was first in line to get Phantasmagoria. Then I gave them up until the mid to late 00's and I was more into the simulators then.

Yeah I agree. Once it went internet based I gave up. I did Orc & Humans, Warcraft II Tides Of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal, then gave up. I actually installed Tides about 12 months ago, it's still on this computer. I wish I had more time to play it but I know if I start I wont stop until I finished it.

Yeah. I bought Euro Truck Simulator in 08 when it came out because I thought it would pass time while I was injured and couldn't drive a real truck. Then I bought V2 when it came out in 2012 because it was so much better and life like, so much that in the UK they offered discounts on real truck licenses for anyone who had put in more than 50 hours on the game. I didn't actually realise how much I played it until one day I looked at the stats and the real time clock was over 257 hours. I don't remember how long I'd had it but I do remember thinking that it was more than 100 days of game play. It was at that point I decided to stop playing it.

Wow no way! I don't know if that bit trivia about the discounts is more cool or scary? lol
I wonder how many times you could have gone around with those miles?!
I can't judge. I have a shit loud of hours on GTAV and Black ops 2 lol

Last edited:
Euro Truck sim is pretty realistic and although the roads are not 100% accurate they are pretty good with everything from lights road markings. Their theory was that someone that can drive the sim and successful do runs without damage and breaking laws deserves the discount getting their license. Was only about 50 pounds or something but was still a discount.

The thing with the sim was that it was roads of England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, etc etc. The standard game had so much detail down to McDonalds stores and Ikea stores on the highways, even the Loch Ness Monster. There was some things they couldn't recreate but, bridges, tollways, ferries and even crappy drivers were all there. Then when they branched it out they went further in Europe adding Scandanavia and more areas, then fans created their own shit and you drive a truck from Iceland, through Scotland and England, through Germany and Italy all the way to the eastern edge of Russia. The official release now days covers 16 countries and well in excess of 500,000 sq miles of road.

It's not as cool as it sounds in the game but it's one of those things that when you hear it's in the game you just have to go and find it.