The SINGLE best Opeth solo?

HELLO EVERYONE!!
I would say that without a doubt my favorite SINGLE solo is from harvest. That is SOOOO smooth, fun/difficult to play, emotional, everything a mike solo SHOULD be!!! Also the last arpeggiated (sic) solo on TFP rules!
Rock on guys!

Actually, now that I listen to it again, I think you're right Blimey. I like Mike's part better. But I really like Peter's part towards the end. There is one particular note that he hits which is PERFECT.

FRUGiHOYi said:
Actually, now that I listen to it again, I think you're right Blimey. I like Mike's part better. But I really like Peter's part towards the end. There is one particular note that he hits which is PERFECT.
:kickass:

Gonna go with the rarely mentioned Damnation here......Death Whispered a Lullaby, both solos on that song (with the keys in background) sound amazing.

As far as a straightforward solo, I'm a big fan of Ghost of Perdition near the end, vintage Lindgren.

MetalManCPA said:
I was thinking about solos just the other day. I'm planning to make an MP3 CD full of nothing but my favorite parts of songs - solos, outtros, etc. (all bands, not just Opeth)

In all honesty, Opeth is the one band I've never really listened to in regards to picking out solos. There is something about their music that makes me listen as a complete package. There are so many parts of Opeth's music that gives me chills - the bridge before the Deliverance outtro, the Ghost of Perdition bridge at around 5:30 (I think), etc. I don't hear solos in Opeth's music. It's as if they purposefully never wanted to actually accentuate a solo like so many other bands do. My favorite guitar solos by Grip Inc, Enslaved and others seem to be set-up. The "solos" in Opeth's music flow and never seem set-up to me, therefore, I never really hear them as solos.

Does my babbling make any sense?
I agree with this post. I barely notice Opeth solos. I remember everyone always talking about this awesome solo on The Leper Affinity and me being like "whoa, I didn't really notice a solo on that song at all!" The solos flow so well with the music instead of being shoved into the spotlight for wankery like other bands do that I don't even distinguish them from the rest of the music.

That said, White Cluster solo > all

That stupid...

DUN DUN DUN riff in the grand conjuration that repeats for an eternity is so stupid that it distracts me from the solo.

Windowpayne's solo's are both great. And the real bluesey one in A Fair Judgement is great too.

That is certainly a tough one. I could basically choose any of the solos in White Cluster from that amazing middle section...I do love the Grand Conjuration solo (the only good part of that damn video was the fact that they captured the whole thing)...The Funeral Portrait is fantastic...the first part of the Amen Corner solo works really well after Mike finishes singing...gahhhhhhhh

Probably Moonlapse Vertigo. I just feel that one the most when it kicks in.

Jude said:
I agree with this post. I barely notice Opeth solos. I remember everyone always talking about this awesome solo on The Leper Affinity and me being like "whoa, I didn't really notice a solo on that song at all!" The solos flow so well with the music instead of being shoved into the spotlight for wankery like other bands do that I don't even distinguish them from the rest of the music.

That said, White Cluster solo > all
Yeah I agree with this, but there are a few that stand out from the rest.

Mikael's live version of The Drapery Falls solo is probably my favorite. Very tasty, very classy.

yea, theres still not really any question in my mind why MAYH annihilates most other Opeth material. as for the solo, he didnt pretty well re-creating it...but he kind of looked nervous/cautious while playing it. anyone else pick up on that?

NineFeetUnderground said:
yea, theres still not really any question in my mind why MAYH annihilates most other Opeth material. as for the solo, he didnt pretty well re-creating it...but he kind of looked nervous/cautious while playing it. anyone else pick up on that?
peter's just a shy guy i guess

NineFeetUnderground said:

That solo has to be weird going into it live. With my luck I would have forgot how to play it regardless how long playing it:lol:

Not a fast solo, but the finger positioning looks odd.

I think the Baying of the Hounds solo is awesome. Great build up to it, great rhythm in the background, and it flows so well into the next part of the song.

The solo to Deliverance is great, especially when everything else stops.

The Funeral Portrait also.