The Systematic Mixing Guide - NOW OUT!

So I want to make sure of something here. When you're talking about the bass, you do the filtering, then do things such as the vibe approach? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant, or if like, the filtering was another way of doing things. I never would have thought to low pass so much of the DI!

I do miss the fat asshole over the "dude"...

Unless he transformed into "the dude" in which case, why would he be driving a hummer?!

Great read, definitely worth the money. However, I noticed two omissions.

1. The guitar section mentioned nothing on amp sims or cab IRs. I'm not sure if you use it in your workflow Ermz, but I thought that would be very relevant to a large portion of the target audience. Also, given it focuses on poking holes in guitars, and in your online article you state it doesn't apply to guitars with cab IRs.

2. The kick drum part assumes one mic, I thought you'd give it the same inside-outside mic treatment as you did the snare top and bottom mic.

Everything else in the book is excellent information, hopefully this is taken as constructive feedback.

I'd say this book is only worth it after at least a little experience in mixing, otherwise you just can't really grasp the subtilities added to the basic concepts and won't do anything good with it. Although there is absolutely no secret revealed there (because there aren't any). I'm only at half of it though but it's mainly a guidance book, a reminder, and it can re-route yourself to what you might have forgotten or thought was not that interesting.

Great to hear you guys are enjoying it. I've been receiving such overwhelmingly positive reports on this book from hundreds of people, it's really helped validate all the work that went into putting it together.

Re: the question from a few posts back. The book is quite relevant to newer mix engineers, so long as they have a basic grasp of some of the fundamentals of audio such as frequency, decibels, phase, equalization, compression etc.