The Systematic Mixing Guide - NOW OUT!

Great read, definitely worth the money. However, I noticed two omissions.

1. The guitar section mentioned nothing on amp sims or cab IRs. I'm not sure if you use it in your workflow Ermz, but I thought that would be very relevant to a large portion of the target audience. Also, given it focuses on poking holes in guitars, and in your online article you state it doesn't apply to guitars with cab IRs.

2. The kick drum part assumes one mic, I thought you'd give it the same inside-outside mic treatment as you did the snare top and bottom mic.

Everything else in the book is excellent information, hopefully this is taken as constructive feedback.

Not to steal ermins thunder but I believe this book is about mixing, not engineering.

@TiamatWaves: I hadn't thought about putting it up on the iTunes Bookstore. If anyone would care to chip in, what would be the demand behind doing so? Would anyone be interested?

Wow Ermz you made my username a lot cooler than it is. Tiamat Waves is definitely better than Tim at Waves. ;)

I suggested the iTunes Bookstore since it's a major and built-in platform for not only every Mac but every Apple i-device out there (Capt Obvious statement I know). You would reach a potentially larger audience by doing so and people are always looking for ways to spend their iTunes Gift Cards they get for holidays etc.

There seems to be very little in the way of music production publications in there, and definitely none I've seen focused on heavy production. I would think you'd be able to move quite a few. It could be another marketing springboard as well.

Just a suggestion because I'd like to see your hard work get out to as many as possible.
Here's the info on Apples site on submitting an eBook to the iBookstore. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2808?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Good luck and I look forward to reading the Systematic Mixing Guide!

Bought the book tonight and tore through it in just over an hour of solid reading.

I have to say it is a great guide. Plenty of interesting advice that steers you in the right direction with loads of things to try out while cutting out all the shite.

I like books although I wouldn't call myself a reader, but this was extremely warm and easy to read and it was actually quite a page turner as I originally just wanted to glance through it but ended up chewing through the lot.

The only bad thing about it is that I've read it and I'm no where near my setup or gear, but I have a whole Sunday tomorrow to wire in and boy am I looking forward to it!

Best £13 I've spent this year I'd say!

Well done Ermz, it really is a fantastic book! :)

Just bought it.
Looking forward to reading it, and I´m sure that it´ll be of great help!

edit: Been reading a bit plus applying a few things to one of my mixes with good results :)
Some "before/after" examples/soundclips would be a great addition to this awesome book!
Any plans for that?

Will the e book work on my I pad as I couldn't find it on iTunes? Not having a file system on the I pad is WHACK. I'm guessing if it does work, I have to download on a pc and import via iTunes.

Will the e book work on my I pad as I couldn't find it on iTunes? Not having a file system on the I pad is WHACK. I'm guessing if it does work, I have to download on a pc and import via iTunes.

Dude, you can open it from an Email with no extra app, but I use PdfReader to organize the pdfs I have on my phone, super easy.

Also, there's the kindle version that you get when you buy it, it's the one I use on my iPhone

bought it. and read the whole thing and I love it. ERMZ you think you will ever make like updates?? that would be sick to see a chapter dedicated to achieving balance and having appropriate levels accross the entire mix. that is one thing i struggle with personally and would love to hear your take on it

Glad you liked it!

I've had a minor content revision on the cards, in order to fix one or two small mistakes, but nothing like an 'expansion pack' so to speak.

The most likely scenario is that I would do instructional videos to complement each of the chapters or just create a 'Systematic Recording Guide' to focus more on the tracking side of things.