The thing you hate most about metal?

MetalHeadMarc said:
@Timmeth - Define too techniqual? Are you talking about Math Metal or any thing with a solo because their is nothing wrong with guitar solos. They compliment the music and give it texture and definition. If any one is against solos its usually because:
1. They can't play them.
2. They don't have an appreciation for viturosity.

No, I'm talking about technical BS that has no emotion to it. SculpedCold hit the nail on the head here. He basically covered all corners. The solo should atleast go along with the mood to match the song. Some solos are just all over the place and tend to stray off the "prompt" so-to-speak.

Don't get me wrong, I can solo all day long. As a matter of fact, that's all I can do on a guitar. When I riff, it's total crap. But I have an excuse. I am a pianist/keyboarist! Believe me when I say I appreciate talent, but atleast lets match skill with mood.

Timmeth said:
No, I'm talking about technical BS that has no emotion to it. SculpedCold hit the nail on the head here. He basically covered all corners. The solo should atleast go along with the mood to match the song. Some solos are just all over the place and tend to stray off the "prompt" so-to-speak.

Don't get me wrong, I can solo all day long. As a matter of fact, that's all I can do on a guitar. When I riff, it's total crap. But I have an excuse. I am a pianist/keyboarist! Believe me when I say I appreciate talent, but atleast lets match skill with mood.

I agree, but the big problem is people tend to BS and say solos are all over the place and improper and this or that if they're 1. fast 2. technical 3. not absolutely and completely normal . They're simply biased to one point of view and one angle of creative expression. Dream Theater or whoever else they bash when it comes to this are not guilty in the slightest, now if you were to put a Slayer solo in a song like say, Free Bird or Sweet Home Alabama or something, THAT would be messed up and not match the mood of the song in the first place. Most people don't even actually *listen* to music, they just *hear* it and can't tell what the mood of a song is in the first place, they just get all overcritical of things. I also hate how now whenever something is fast or technical theres always this group of people whining about it, saying it has no emotion or whatnot. Listen to some good old thrash/technical metal like WatchTower and see if those riffs don't get you up and about and tell me it's not emotional. There's a very very small number of guitarists that would say "Oh, that solo, I was just screwing around, wanking." if you asked. They know how to put a chaotic, aggressive, or frantic feeling in their music! Some people are simply narrow emotionally, there's more in the spectrum then grieving, sorrowful, weeping sounding stuff like a lot of "slow" music tends to encompass.

Orion Crystal Ice said:
I agree, but the big problem is people tend to BS and say solos are all over the place and improper and this or that if they're 1. fast 2. technical 3. not absolutely and completely normal . They're simply biased to one point of view and one angle of creative expression. Dream Theater or whoever else they bash when it comes to this are not guilty in the slightest, now if you were to put a Slayer solo in a song like say, Free Bird or Sweet Home Alabama or something, THAT would be messed up and not match the mood of the song in the first place. Most people don't even actually *listen* to music, they just *hear* it and can't tell what the mood of a song is in the first place, they just get all overcritical of things. I also hate how now whenever something is fast or technical theres always this group of people whining about it, saying it has no emotion or whatnot. Listen to some good old thrash/technical metal like WatchTower and see if those riffs don't get you up and about and tell me it's not emotional. There's a very very small number of guitarists that would say "Oh, that solo, I was just screwing around, wanking." if you asked. They know how to put a chaotic, aggressive, or frantic feeling in their music! Some people are simply narrow emotionally, there's more in the spectrum then grieving, sorrowful, weeping sounding stuff like a lot of "slow" music tends to encompass.

Oh, I understand that completely. But would you want a chaotic, aggressive solo in a mellow, melancholy tune? Personally, I think I'd sound a little strange, but that's me...

IOfTheStorm said:
SHITY bands get attention (cradle of filth, dummy burger, dark tranquility, in flames etc) and high quality bands dont get attention
regressive bands are considered by the crowd , progressive ( dream theater, opeth)
everyone likes the cheesier of each gengre (more like swedish melodic death than us brutal death, more like euro cheese power metal than usa quality MALE power metal)
and cradle of filth...they must perish in sickening vomit
fans must give attention to underground power metal bands and progressive bands (defyance is a good example, cauldron born another) and not to what is promoted in metal websites and everyone is talking about it ...someone must give the today's metalhead PERSONALITY in thinking ..

aye!

The haters:

Oh, this sucks, that sucks, I HATE DIMMU BORGIR CUZ THEY SOLD OUT, TEHY R NOT METAL!, I HATE POP, HATE RAP, HATE MY LIFE, HATE THE IGNORANT POSERS WHO DO NOT LISTEN TO DARKTHRONE AND ANAAL NAKRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 TR00 METL FOREVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

The "intellectual" metal fans:

Hmm...very interesting. I can definitely see a correlation between the lyrics of this extreme kvlt band and the nihilistic philosophies of Nietzche. I guess I must like it then!

The underground elitists

Why does noone listen to my obscure death metal bands, you ask? That`s because you all are being misled by the corporate propaganda spewed out by mainstream labels like Nuclear Blast and Metal Blade. They want you to listen to faggotry with clean production and discernible chords!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anus.com

Read their reviews for Burzum. Nuff said.

I think super metal elitist are funny. I dont really get bothered by half-assed metal bands (unless im drunk of course, but thats just stupid). Yngwie malmsteen is great(U unleached the focken fury!) The thing about metal thats anoing is

1.people who cant take critisim about their band members(Metallica fans!) and
2.that a board with the name Ultimate metal contains 80% of posts about opeth.
3. People who doesnt like a bands music because of the band members.
4. People who cant accept that their favorite band is half assed metal,( not that thats a bad thing). And says that they hate half ass metal.
5. People who cant accept that people dont like half assed metal(not that half ass metal is bad)
6.The biggest thing I hate about metal is that there is so little I like. Maybe just 5 percent or something.

What i hate most about metal?
First the meaning of all "true metal fans", that you have to wear special clothes to be a real metal fan. I don't wear metal-shirts or black clothes very often, but i love this music and the whole metal-scene.
The second point is the alcoholic... At every festival or concert you have to drink a lot of beer and so on or you not "in". you know what i mean? Why? Without alcohol i also can enjoy this music...

dreamsevil said:
What i hate most about metal?
First the meaning of all "true metal fans", that you have to wear special clothes to be a real metal fan. I don't wear metal-shirts or black clothes very often, but i love this music and the whole metal-scene.
The second point is the alcoholic... At every festival or concert you have to drink a lot of beer and so on or you not "in". you know what i mean? Why? Without alcohol i also can enjoy this music...

....Hey, can't we leave alcohol out of this???

Harp Heaven said:
Anus.com

Read their reviews for Burzum. Nuff said.

Ha! Try and read the review for Cryptopsy's None So Vile!!!

!:OMG: :erk: :ill: o_O !:OMG:

Now, while I admit to kinda thinking of myself as a somewhat 'intellectual' type of metalhead, and I enjoy considering metal music in the context of the world through the perspectives of linguistics/philosophy etc, I must say, Anus.com really do go completely over the top with that approach.....

I hate bands that say stupid shit like, "WE ARE THE WARRIORS OF METAL!" (Manowar)...or, "We all must stick together in the name of metal!", or some such silliness.

That, to me, is the gayest thing alive. Also, Immortal's older videos are as gay as Liberace.

IMHO, if you say the word "metal" in your songs, you are a fucking gonad. Sing about something interesting...not something mundane.

METALHEADS are the most stupid people on earth!!!!!sexist ,racist,closed

metal musicians on the other hand are frequently open minded....

but i think that all listeners of all genres tend to be close minded...

there is not education in listening....

however i cannot stand homophobia in metal!!!!!

:erk:

ah! another thing....

i really think that guitar solos in metal are really cool sometimes...

so...

SAVE GUITAR SOLOS! SAVE THE PLANET!

lol.gif

snow_like_ash said:
Oh yeah, more girls should be into metal. I'm fucking involuntarily celibate whenever I wear a cannibal corpse shirt. It really sucks.
Heh, for me, and where I live, I'm looked down on for listening to something 'different' to everyone else. I get looked down at by practically everyone my age. Plus there's hardly anyone - possibly no-one - into metal around here. Apart from the drug takers etc in town who listen to music I'm not into, i.e. Murderdolls, Slipknot, Linkin Park.. And even they look down on me. No wonder I'm constantly feeling lonely, heh.

Another thing is the fact that my family think i'm going through a 'phase' and try and change how I am. Totally out of order IMO..

eternalhours said:
Heh, for me, and where I live, I'm looked down on for listening to something 'different' to everyone else. I get looked down at by practically everyone my age. Plus there's hardly anyone - possibly no-one - into metal around here. Apart from the drug takers etc in town who listen to music I'm not into, i.e. Murderdolls, Slipknot, Linkin Park.. And even they look down on me. No wonder I'm constantly feeling lonely, heh.

Another thing is the fact that my family think i'm going through a 'phase' and try and change how I am. Totally out of order IMO..

Hey Join the club ......... woops you already did your here :)

Another thing related to metal that pissed me off. My friend fell asleep at Opeth. I wanted to kick his ass when that happened.

I mean sure, he hadn't slept in four days, but that's no excuse!:p