The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Carcassian said:
Almost word for word my approach to metal. Well expressed. If I was a complete bender, I'd say something like "Rep +1". Alas, I don't bend, not even for a friend.
Well perhaps you could at least 'bend' to the extent of finally signing up at UK Thrash, if you haven't already done so covertly! :D

Heard Scar Symmetry a little while ago, I just can't seem to get past the vocals. They could be an alright band otherwise.

BurningWitch said:
Heard Scar Symmetry a little while ago, I just can't seem to get past the vocals. They could be an alright band otherwise.
They suck, don't worry about missing anything.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
This shit is pretty fucking good grind/goregrind from Australia!

You say this as if you find it hard to believe. Australia is grind capital, my good man.

Check out Blowtorch Abortion, Excruciate, The Day Everything Became Nothing, Beanflipper, Captain Cleanoff... some others I'll think of later.

BurningWitch said:

I love the vocals. The mix of clean , growls, and somewhat blackish vocals is great in my opinion.

Décadent said:
You say this as if you find it hard to believe. Australia is grind capital, my good man.

Check out Blowtorch Abortion, Excruciate, The Day Everything Became Nothing, Beanflipper, Captain Cleanoff... some others I'll think of later.
Don't forget Die Pigeon Die.:kickass:

I've been a fan of Arch Enemy since Wages of Sin was released. I don't listen to them a lot but when I get the chance to I always have a good time.

But I've been listening to Wages of Sin lately because I bought tickets to see them in November and I remember why I liked them the first time I heard them. This album totally rips. It is agressive but melodic at the same time. The Amott brothers totally kill everything on the opening track. Definitely worth listening to for anyone who hasn't heard it.

The Bringer said:
But I've been listening to Wages of Sin lately because I bought tickets to see them in November and I remember why I liked them the first time I heard them. This album totally rips. It is agressive but melodic at the same time. The Amott brothers totally kill everything on the opening track. Definitely worth listening to for anyone who hasn't heard it.

Sadly they lost every last bit of that ferocious energy on the albums since then. Anthems of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine were total snoozefests.

CAIRATH said:
Sadly they lost every last bit of that ferocious energy on the albums since then. Anthems of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine were total snoozefests.

Anthems of Rebellion was a huge let down. When it was released there was a bit of "hype" surrounding the release. I had a friend who absolutely loved it. When I heard it I couldn't figure out exactly what it was suppose to be. I have so many mixed feelings about it. It seems like it wants to be fast and agressive but there were no riffs included to keep up to the pace the CD *was* suppose to move along at.

Doomsday Machine has some very kick ass songs. I really like the first 4 tracks and a few at the end. But some songs like Carry the Cross is, like you said, a snoozefest. If these guys can be consistant then they would really rip.

I listened to soilwork 'a predators portrait' last night for the first time in like 3,4 years and was still impressed. The solo's are still over the top, but not typical metal solos. The solo's have a more modern prog feel. In Flames for example like their solos to sound like the 80's, I like their solos. I think Soilwork leads on this album surpase them and carcass. It's really hard for me now to stomach modern metal albums but this is still a cool album. I probably would have considered it melodic death metal in the past just not anymore. The music is melodic heavy and sometimes fast but it still deos not resemble death metal or anything like that. I'm not really sure. It's too progressive to be nu-metal.

The Greys said:
I listened to soilwork 'a predators portrait' last night for the first time in like 3,4 years and was still impressed. The solo's are still over the top, but not typical metal solos. The solo's have a more modern prog feel. In Flames for example like their solos to sound like the 80's, I like their solos. I think Soilwork leads on this album surpase them and carcass. It's really hard for me now to stomach modern metal albums but this is still a cool album. I probably would have considered it melodic death metal in the past just not anymore. The music is melodic heavy and sometimes fast but it still deos not resemble death metal or anything like that. I'm not really sure. It's too progressive to be nu-metal.

I generally prefer The Chainheart Machine, but yeah, throughout that entire period it is fair to say that the lead guitar work was generally stunning; I remember playing Soilwork to my brother, who at the time was getting heavily into metal, and loved guitar solos.

I wouldn't say, however, that Soilwork had better guitar solos than Carcass. Although I am famously biased towards Messrs Amott and Steer, I think that although Soilworks solos are full of high-speed technical wizardry, their songs often seemed just like vehicles to carry the solos themselves. many of the guitar solos in Necroticism, and Heartwork, carry a magnificent sense of atmosphere and emotion utterly lacking (to my jaundiced ears, at least) in the Soilwork material.

Of course, you are probably a much better guitarist than I, so horse for courses, man. :kickass:

BurningWitch said:

I think the vocals are one of the strongest aspects of that band. Their a good listen on occasion when you are in the mood for some straightforward rocking music.

Carcassian said:
Of course, you are probably a much better guitarist than I, so horse for courses, man. :kickass:

I'm 19 and you are older and probably a better guitarist. I don't pick up the instrument like some prodigy and at times have my struggle. The way a guitar is played,designed makes a lot more sense to me than math and stuff like that. It's one of the few things that is complex that makes sense which is why I don't quit. It's not such a pain in the ass where I give up. I can learn how to properly play by myself. Someone does not have to try and show me the logic on why something is done a specific way and try and get me to understand. The meaning is much more and natural on a personal level, and the outcome is much more rewarding and interesting because you have more control regardless not having control over how the instrument is designed to be played. You still get a major say in it. When it comes to things like math,etc. it does not matter what you think and that's why I can't stand it.

The Greys said:

It's melo-death, definitely. And a good album.