The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Zephyrus said:
Arcturus is one of the bands I like for its awkward uniqueness. Just the fact that it sounds so different than traditional styles I guess is what appeals to me. And of course their members are masters of their craft in terms of musicianship. I accept that the realms of the avantgarde will never be fully embraced by the general metal community, but that just makes them more special to me to keep as my own.

It's a good feeling liking some bands that most others don't like rather than restricting your horizons to the bands that everybody seems to like.

I agree with you, man. I didnt know so many people here did not like them. I think The Sham Mirrors is one of the best albums ever made. All their albums are great, though.

MasterOLightning said:
Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide is growing on me finally, after quite a few listens. It's pretty difficult, and probably a few songs too long, but Arcane and Misanthropic Projection is the best Xasthur song since Blood From the Roots of the Forest.
Hey, I'm thinking of getting Telepathic With the Deceased. Is it any good?

The Bringer said:
Quick, recommend me an album to listen to by Sentenced.

North From Here.

I think I talked about this yesterday in this thread!. You live in finland and have not heard a sentenced album. what the fuck!!!!. Did you see demigod and amorphis in the early 90's ?.

DarkBliss said:
Revenant's Prophecies of a Dying World is great epic death/thrash(like a more technical Morbid Angel) and not the mindless wankfest I used to think it was.
Hmm, Seance are actually quite good, not amazing, but enjoyable.
At the Gates has finally clicked with me:The Red in the Sky is great if somewhat difficult listen.

To the guy who recommended Fleur: is it the russian band, and what's the name of the album? If you haven't found L'Orchestre Noir yet, I can upload their Eleven album(nothing better to do right now heh), if you want and send it via PM. An excellent record

Arcturus does not suck, La Masquerade Infernale is a classic(Devil Doll fan here) and The Sham Mirrors is a really fun listen, occasionally. The rest of the band's output isn't nearly as good,imo.I only liked two songs on AspeVa-The Bodkin and the Quietus and the Fall of Man, the rest is meh.

I'll check out Revenant, but finally you like The Red in the Sky.

I need to check out Seance, since I haven't listened for about a year.

Swizzle.....

Remember how long it took me to get into at the gates ?. I remember talking a lot of crap about them for a good while!.

swizzlenuts said:
finally you like The Red in the Sky.

Yea, I'm not sure why but the songs always sounded too fragmented and abrupt. The bad production didn't help either. However since everyone and their mother have been so dazzled by it, I had to keep trying and figure out why. Well, in the last couple of days it clicked. That's one of the most demanding metal albums I've ever heard . Not quite the masterpiece several other DM albums from Sweden are, but great nonetheless

yeah i never look at where there are from, but i was bored and wanted to see where all these bands hailed from, and i just really got into Cryptopsy, they are amazing, i love Lord Worm's vocals, i can't believe i never listened to them as much before

MetalNoob said:
What's your top 20 favorite bands.

1. Metallica (old)
2. Dismember
3. Pantera
4. Slayer
5. Soilwork
6. Nevermore
7. Bathory
8. Dream Theater
9. Suffocation
10. Fragments of Unbecoming
11. Satyricon
12. Scar Symmetry
13. Arcturus
14. Mercenary
15. Gorguts
16. At the Gates
17. Infernal Majesty
18. Nightrage
19. Skinless
20. Naglfar

DarkBliss said:
Yea, I'm not sure why but the songs always sounded too fragmented and abrupt. The bad production didn't help either. However since everyone and their mother have been so dazzled by it, I had to keep trying and figure out why. Well, in the last couple of days it clicked. That's one of the most demanding metal albums I've ever heard . Not quite the masterpiece several other DM albums from Sweden are, but great nonetheless

I'd put it toward the top of Swedish Death metal. It was the first old school death metal album that I liked, and took a while to enjoy. I just forget that because I've liked for a long time.

Lately, I've given Summoning's Lugburz debut album a second chance, and I now think it is a better album than I had previously thought (though I still have a few issues with the vocals and production).

Also, I have been pretty impressed by Enslaved's work on their split with Emperor. Really mesmerizing and majestic stuff.

I have the remastered version of the red in the sky..... I don't know how much different it sounds over the originally. I never thought of it having bad production especially being from the year it was. Gardens of Grief does have better production though. the red in the sky is ours has much better production than with fear I kiss burning darkness. I can't stand the production on WFIKTBD and the guitars don't harmonize.