The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I don't diss them because they're popular; I diss them because they fucking suck! Also, who the fuck goes into brutal death metal listening for atmosphere? Death metal at its core is not even about atmosphere or thematics or concept; it is about fucking brutality.

:p

I don't diss them because they're popular; I diss them because they fucking suck! Also, who the fuck goes into brutal death metal listening for atmosphere? Death metal at its core is not even about atmosphere or thematics or concept; it is about fucking brutality.

:p

Even if you tried, you couldn't be more wrong.

Well, I suppose I should not say "not...about" those things, but they are certainly not required (whereas, in stark contrast, black metal relies primarily on such factors) to make good music. If I wanted brutal death metal, I would want something brutal, not something with "atmosphere." Right? I would listen to old-school atmospheric death metal. Also, though you might irrationally hate Mithras, their sound presents a highly developed sense of atmosphere, on either album, and they are still "brutal death." Lykathea Aflame also did such things better than Nile ever could. Nile is just pretty gimmick-y "brutal" death metal. It's not the worst shit ever, but it's not even close to the hype it gets. In my opinion, of course.

Of course.

Mithras may well be atmospheric, but, of course, atmosphere alone does not good music make. Nile, in my opinion, craft brutal, memorable and atmospheric tracks. You, no doubt, consider the Egyptian thang as a "gimmick". I consider it to be one of the elements that make them most interesting to me - not least the considerably fascinating liner notes.

Steering the convo away from "X SUCKS", "NO X DOES NOT SUCK", good liner notes are somewhat lacking these days, I'm afraid. The notes on Vader - De Profundis were always among my favourite, although that could well be because they're so badly translated! (I'm not trying to be an asshole, because I know you're an MP3 bandit - but sometimes the whole package can really increase the enjoyment of the music).

Oh yeah I agree, but I don't own any Nile albums, I've just heard stuff from various albums and was fucking unimpressed. I don't really find them memorable at all, but of course that's in the eye of the beholder.

But indeed, liner notes are sorely lacking. The best booklet ever is Absu's Tara, by the way; it includes a dictionary of terms they use on the album so they don't lose you!

I may download a lot, but I do own over 130 CDs, so yeah...I love purchasing new CDs because I love having the actual artifact. So despite what you think, I have more credibility than you'd imagine. :p

Haven't you got tracks like Sacrifice unto Sebek, Unas Slayer of Gods or Sarcofagus? Ramses bringer of war? Masturbating the war God ? The Blessed Dead? Lashed to the Slave stick ?

I can hum the tunes of all these tracks right now, without the requisite cds playing. How many comparably brutal DM bands have tracks you could do that to ?

To be fair, Nile aren't all that "brutal." I get riffs by bands like Brodequin, Devourment, etc. in my head all the time. Despite that they're mainly slams, there are some great tremolo parts usually...and Saprogenic of course has the most distinctive brutal DM guitar tone, so them too.

To be fair, Nile aren't all that "brutal." I get riffs by bands like Brodequin, Devourment, etc. in my head all the time. Despite that they're mainly slams, there are some great tremolo parts usually...and Saprogenic of course has the most distinctive brutal DM guitar tone, so them too.

No, they aren't, but they are far more brutal than many contemporary DM bands, and despite this technicality, as I say, they remain memorable.

Tea I got.

Don't believe all this "Earl Grey" shit, either. PG Tips is where it's at, brother - good blue collar tea, two sugars, milk, bacon sarnie - Breakfast of WINNARS