The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Because metal is about the music not the vocals?

It bugs me when people won't listen to a band who has great instrumental work because the vocals bother them. At least with metal. I don't give a shit if they won't listen to pop with bad vocals, that makes sense.

No, no, no. Why is acceptable for the vocals to suck and not the instrumentals? The voice is just as much a part of the music, and yet people accept- sometimes prefer- when it's horrible. I don't but the explanation that metal is "not about" vocals. It doesn't make sense.

No, no, no. Why is acceptable for the vocals to suck and not the instrumentals? The voice is just as much a part of the music, and yet people accept- sometimes prefer- when it's horrible. I don't but the explanation that metal is "not about" vocals. It doesn't make sense.

Obviously we don't think the vocals are bad or shitty, dude. It's your opinion.

And the vocals are the least important element of metal in most bands imo.

Because metal is about the music not the vocals?

that's just your taste, don't speak for everybody

It bugs me when people won't listen to a band who has great instrumental work because the vocals bother them. At least with metal. I don't give a shit if they won't listen to pop with bad vocals, that makes sense.

I'm willing to overlook poor vocals (martyr for example) if the music is excellent. The problem with brutal DM is the vocals are shit and the music is almost equally as shit

I like the growls, it's a matter of preference. You'll come around

I think he's fine with growling but he doesn't like shitty growling (pig grunts)

Obviously we don't think the vocals are bad or shitty, dude. It's your opinion.

I don't get how thinking that growling and grunting is bad singing is an opinion. People here complain that hip-hop artists are not talented because they "just talk fast", then they go and listen to music where, instead of singing, the vocalist growls.

And the vocals are the least important element of metal in most bands imo.

It seems that when a band changes singers, it effects the perception of the band more than when they swtich, say, drummers (obviously, this is not always true). Judas Priest was completley different without Rob Halford, Iron Maiden without Bruce Dickinson, etc.

I don't get how thinking that growling and grunting is bad singing is an opinion. People here complain that hip-hop artists are not talented because they "just talk fast", then they go and listen to music where, instead of singing, the vocalist growls.

OMG. Either you're a complete idiot or you just don't get it. Growling/grunting is not "bad singing" it's something you don't like and almost everyone else here does, so your idea that your opinion is fact is completely wrong. It isn't even singing.

Growling isn't even meant to be compared to or considered "singing." The intent behind it is hardly even the same, really.

criticizing extreme metal for its vocals is like criticizing hip hop for its lack of real "musicians" (people who play instruments)

it's just not a part of the genre, either accept it or move on to something else