The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Freanan said:
Sort Vokter... hm i think it is a bit overrated, but definitely great:
wild, bestial and animalic atmosphere...
That's the great thing about Sort Vokter.
But i understand that many people dislike the minimalism of Ildjarn and Sort Vokter...

It's just a bit overrated, but only because it doesn't work/isn't compatible when not in the right mood, as GoD said.

Ildjarn have such retarded, dire production it isn't even funny. It really makes a lot of their music completely unlistenable, and anyone who does listen to it is almost certainly kidding themselves. My flatmate and I can churn-out better sounding drums and guitar without a drumkit, drum machine, or any talent or skill on guitar.

Fuck Ildjarn.

i havent heard much, but all the saint vitus i've heard sound soooooo much like a B-grade Black Sabbath
and on that note. listen to all the sabbath you can :D

SculptedCold said:
Ildjarn have such retarded, dire production it isn't even funny. It really makes a lot of their music completely unlistenable, and anyone who does listen to it is almost certainly kidding themselves. My flatmate and I can churn-out better sounding drums and guitar without a drumkit, drum machine, or any talent or skill on guitar.

Fuck Ildjarn.

As I always say, even if anybody could play certain music, they can never recreate the exact sound of what they're trying to copy, and therefore they can never reach the atmosphere of the original.

Take Sunn O))). Really anyone can play that. But they do. And it works.

SculptedCold said:

Fuck Ildjarn.

I totally agree... :D

V.V.V.V.V. said:
As I always say, even if anybody could play certain music, they can never recreate the exact sound of what they're trying to copy, and therefore they can never reach the atmosphere of the original.

Take Sunn O))). Really anyone can play that. But they do. And it works.

Well said, technicallity and playing ability aren't everything, emotion and interesting compositions are just as important.

I finally got around to listening to Sunn O))) the other day (there first album, forgot its name). Its rediculously simplistic, but fuck me, its redefined my previous ideas of what "heavy music" is all about. Next on my list of doom/drone bands to check out are Winter and Earth.

That's different though...Sunn O))) are different and unique not because of their production or instrument sound, but because of the music itself first and foremost. I agree that Sun O))) can't be replicated.

Ildjarn, however, are playing unexceptional and only vaguely interesting music. The deliberate emphasis on a 'production' that sounds crap (and it defininitely is deliberate, because my flatmate and I really can make much better-sounding music with next to no equipment or software) is nothing more than a cliched and irritating pandering to retards who think that such a superficial reliance on sound somehow justifies the music struggling to be heard underneath. The fact that there are actual guitars in there playing riffs and strumming, and a drumbeat, is just an insult; they're making noise-oriented music, so drop the pretence of claiming to make actual black metal I say. Black metal is no less defined by sheer noise than any other kind of metal.

Doomwatcher said:
I haven't heard much of Ildjarn and there seems to be mixed opinions on his works. What are the best releases?
I think you should stay with the older releases, like "Det Frysende Nordarriket". The better known releases like Forest Poetry or Strength and Anger contain many pieces that sound much like an even more raw and simplicistic Darkthrone (among other, more atmospheric ones), while the older stuff is not only more atmospheric, but also more weird and less monotonous.
If you WANT the monotonous stuff i reccomend Strength and Anger.

But since all the "real" Ildjarn albums are extremely hard to find you might want to check out the "sampler" 1992-1995, which contains material from every album, the weird old as well as the monotonously droning new stuff.

Ildjarn? I've heard Landscapes and Nidhogg, but beyond that my friend won't send me any more albums. He said Ildjarn's black metal is the worst. What I have so far is good sleepytime music, though.

SculptedCold said:
That's different though...Sunn O))) are different and unique not because of their production or instrument sound, but because of the music itself first and foremost. I agree that Sun O))) can't be replicated.

Ildjarn, however, are playing unexceptional and only vaguely interesting music. The deliberate emphasis on a 'production' that sounds crap (and it defininitely is deliberate, because my flatmate and I really can make much better-sounding music with next to no equipment or software) is nothing more than a cliched and irritating pandering to retards who think that such a superficial reliance on sound somehow justifies the music struggling to be heard underneath. The fact that there are actual guitars in there playing riffs and strumming, and a drumbeat, is just an insult; they're making noise-oriented music, so drop the pretence of claiming to make actual black metal I say. Black metal is no less defined by sheer noise than any other kind of metal.

No it isn't really any different, since what you're saying is subjective. But fuck arguments, let's talk about good music.

The new Brodequin is surprisingly rocking, albeit REALLY GODDAMN SHORT. If you thought Festival Of Death was boring because the production was muffled-ish and all you could hear was annoying popcorn snare and some chainsaws playing in the background, then I highly advise you check this out.

The new Chasm is owning me more than I had expected. I'm already thinking it's the best thing they've done, though I'm not that fond of Deathcult.

I've been spinning The future sound of London's 'Lifeforms' album quite a bit whilst writing recently, very relaxing and hypnotic in a not too overpowering kind of way.

'Eld' by Enslaved is jolly awesome.