The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I just gave Dark Funeral's In the Sign... a good, loud listen while sitting on my deck. I was absolutely amazed at how good this little 4-songer was compared to the apparent abomination that the band has become in recent years. The music I heard was so much like Dissection, only a little less melodic and more sinister. Plus, the two Bathory covers at the end were done quite well and are encouraging me to delve deeper into Bathory's early material.

Dark Funeral haters take notice. This one may surprise you.

Even if we generally think you have very poor taste? :p

I don't hate them, actually. I only heard them once many, many years ago, and then I saw them at this year's Inferno Festival, and they put on a good show. I was too drunk to actually comprehend anything, though... ;)

I have really been into Paradise Lost-in requiem and the s/t lately and want to know what is their best album inbetween Draconian Times and these two.

Behemoth is a story of experimentation gone terribly right.

I tend to associate experimentation as more immediate changes within a band's style, such as a black metal band adding techno elements or keyboards as an integral part of the music.

Behemoth did not experiment as much as steadily evolve from pure black metal to almost exclusively death metal and all. From the Pagan Vastlands and their earliest material contained solid grim black metal. With Grom their production values increased and their guitar sound was thickened. From there they slowly augmented their technicality as they grew into a blackened death metal band with Satanica. From there, technicality continued to go up until it peaked with Zos Kia Cultus, which became the formula for their albums to the present.

Oops, one of those situations where i should've checked my facts before posting.

I love this cd more then my family.

realmofthedamned.gif

I've heard the Eve of the Conq. EP and I liked it. Maybe I should look into getting this?

I tend to associate experimentation as more immediate changes within a band's style, such as a black metal band adding techno elements or keyboards as an integral part of the music.

Behemoth did not experiment as much as steadily evolve from pure black metal to almost exclusively death metal and all. From the Pagan Vastlands and their earliest material contained solid grim black metal. With Grom their production values increased and their guitar sound was thickened. From there they slowly augmented their technicality as they grew into a blackened death metal band with Satanica. From there, technicality continued to go up until it peaked with Zos Kia Cultus, which became the formula for their albums to the present.

I've heard that Nergal never purposely intended Behemoth to become a death metal band, it just sorta happened.

new Behemoth is ok. but so far all I like about the album are the drums

That was what impressed me at first, because the drums are the most easily-heard instrument on the album. After a couple listens you'll pick out more guitar riffs to satisfy you.

I've heard that Nergal never purposely intended Behemoth to become a death metal band, it just sorta happened.

Which is further evidence that Behemoth didn't experiment as much as they slowly evolved. Evidently the evolution was slow enough that the band members themselves didn't even notice much change between 2 or 3 albums.

Wino is so fucking good.

Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Saint Vitus - V
Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun

:worship:

Wino is so fucking good.

Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Saint Vitus - V
Saint Vitus - Mournful Cries
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun

:worship:

I agree and heard a Spirit Caravan cd recently and was blown away thinking it was easily the best music/vocals from Wino. As cool as Saint Vitus are generally prefere everything else from Wino except The Hidden Hand.

I think Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus is their best work. The songwriting and vocals are just superb. I do enjoy Wino's vocals on The Obsessed and Spirit Caravan though. Probably because Wino knows how to write songs to his vocals.

Lately, Wolfchant - A Pagan Storm, Gojira - From Mars to Sirius, Catamenia - Halls of Frozen North, Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and Kalmah - The Black Waltz have been the albums that have been kicking me in the butt the most lately. All of them are freakin amazing albums. When's Gojira and Kalmah releasing new CDs anyways, I'm sick of waiting.