The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Guardian of Darkness said:
Search the thread for Ildjarn, your question was asked before. Sort Vokter > Ildjarn though.

I disagree.
Sort Vokter has a few brilliant moments, but it is rather "normal" the rest of the time. I also think that it is a very inconsistent album.

I think the old Ildjarn stuff is best. But it is also hard to get.
Something that is easy to get (because just rereleased), and still rather good, although not as good as the old stuff, is Forest Poetry.

Somberlain said:
Any opinions/descriptions on the following bands would be appreciated:
Sarcophagus (US)
Very solid band. One of the bands that I often recur to when I'm in a black metal moon. Their sound is straightforward black metal with some keyboards here and there. In other words, they don't offer anything new to the table. Check out Requiem To The Death Of Passion if you decide to give them a chance.

Any opinions and info on these obscure bands would much appreicated.

Depravity(Finland)
Lemming Project
Pertenance
The Eye (one of the side projects of Blut Aus Nord's Vindsval)
Xysma

Doomwatcher said:
Listen to Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulée and you'll get a pretty good idea of how this project sounds like. There's plenty of minimalistic ambience throughout the record (there are 3 ambient tracks here) and the typical Blut Aus Nord guitar sound, there's also some clean vocals thrown in for good measure. Very solid album and a must buy if you're a fan of Blut Aus Nord.

Doomwatcher said:
Any opinions and info on these obscure bands would much appreicated.

Depravity(Finland)
Lemming Project
Pertenance
Xysma
I reviewed Lemming Project's Extinction, excellent album, but over shadowed by Hate and Despise, which I only recently acquired. I'm thinking about putting a review up for it as well. Their style can be likened to a mixture of early Therion and Bolt Thrower. I prefer them to both bands by far, though.

Purtenance is the only other band I've heard. Member of Immortal Damnation is pretty cool doom/death metal. Not my thing particularly, but interesting nonetheless.

The others are on my to-check-out list.

Currently enjoying:
Golem - Dreamweaver
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma
Nortt - Gudsforladt
Darkestrah - Sary Oy
Trollskogen - Der Weg zur Unendlichkeit
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Infester - To The Depths... In Degradation
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey
Thorns - Grymyrk

Guardian of Darkness said:
Currently enjoying:
Golem - Dreamweaver
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Infester - To The Depths... In Degradation
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey

Some stunning albums, the Esoteric and Infester album in particular.

I've Currently been enjoying obscure old-school death metal classics such as the following.

Asphyx - The Rack (I'd like to know how the other albums compare)
Funebre - Children of The Scorn
Miasma - Changes
Molested - Blod Draum

Esoteric are brilliant, I love it more and more with each listen, though it only appeals to a specific mood that I'm not always in. Infester I've enjoyed for a long time.

I'm not so sure about Asphyx, "The Rack" is the only one that everyone seems to agree is good. Those Funebre and Miasma albums both utterly rule. Get Molested's "Stormvold" which also grows with each listen. And the Nortt on my list is the only essential one you left out of the quote, I highly recommend that as well.