The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I've seen it both ways, it is kind of vague...but iirc their CDs spell it "Soulreaper"...

It's Split on the cover, I looked. Doesn't really matter was just curious.

But anyone ever hear of a band called Year 200x. They play "video game metal". I actually liked the Metal Gear one. They have Mega Man 3, Contra, Metal Gear (Jungle Theme), and Journey to Silius on their myspace if anyone is interested.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=91323575

EDIT: Are there any other bands that do this?

But anyone ever hear of a band called Year 200x. They play "video game metal". I actually liked the Metal Gear one. They have Mega Man 3, Contra, Metal Gear (Jungle Theme), and Journey to Silius on their myspace if anyone is interested.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=91323575

EDIT: Are there any other bands that do this?

Powerglove, The Black Mages (They do solely final fantasy covers though) Megadriver (uploads all their music for free), Minibosses, NESkimos, Stemage (does metroid covers)

I gave Kataxu's Roots Thunder its first listen and it's much different from Hunger of Elements. Regardless, it's an excellent mix of atmospheric Black Metal and synth-work. Malign's review on M-A was a nice guide to lead me through the album.

The Halls of Eternity is decent.
It has a very clean production, which is cool, but imo symphonic bm works better with a kinda raw production (not sure why), and the bass drums should be clickier. But the main problem is uninteresting songwriting, poor vocals, and this general feeling of stupidity I get from the album. I, Madman was cool, though. I'll give it another listen, just not for a month or two.

Soulreaper ftw.
Hell yeah. I've been listening to this a ton, i.e. 5+ times in the last 3 days.

logo is split, but on the spine it's one word. I think Soul Reaper would be cooler, but w/e.

Listened to:
Pro-Pain - Foul Taste Of Freedom - this shit fucking sucks. End of story.
Chemlab - East Side Militia - Sweet. Industrial, I guess. I enjoy it. Great for playing games, too.
Crack Up - From The Ground - Disappointingly not like Heads Will Roll. More death metal, although still with that massive, badass guitar sound. Money Will Roll Right In is a great song, but the rest of the album didn't impress me.
Anacrusis - Screams And Whispers - Bored me, which was surprising because I heard good things about this. I'll give it another go, though; sometimes progressive metal albums take a couple spins to sink in.

Next up:
Post-Mortem - Repulsion
Grip Inc. - Nemesis

tbh they're named after the Dissection song Soulreaper, so I'm going with that, considering members of Dissection even formed that band :p

I like Life Erazer even better btw.

Cool. I'll hunt that down sometime.
So far this bulk buy thing has been totally worth it. I've listened to <15 of the CDs and already 8 of them have been good-awesome. A good-awesome cd is totally worth $10, so that puts me ahead already. Sweet.

Favorite albums at the moment, that I've been listening to and can't get enough of (band listed first, then album):

Artefact- Ruins (awesome melodic black metal, really great musicianship and atmosphere)
Myrkvar- Als een Woeste Horde (Viking metal; they use a drum machine, but the music is great so I'm willing to forgive it)
Kromlek- Strange Rumors... Distant Tremors (Viking metal)
In Lingua Mortua- Bellowing Sea/Racked By Tempest (avant-garde black metal; really epic stuff)
Falchion- Legacy of Heathens (folk/viking metal; similar to Ensiferum, but not as much cheese)
Fjoergyn- Sade et Masoch (symphonic black metal)
Enid- Seelenspiegel (symphonic metal, which touches of black, doom, and goth; they remind me of Virgin Black)
Profugis Mortis- So It Begins (extreme power metal; harsh vocals, really catchy melodies; oh yeah, and awesome violin parts)