The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I really fucking love Therion. They're probably my favorite metal band of all time. And what's really frustrating is that I know someone else could do a lot of what they've done much better.

Why aren't there more goddamn symphonic metal bands out there that don't suck horse cock?
What's wrong with Symphony X?

lol, I think that they are a bit better than some of the other symph-metal that I've heard. Haven't heard a lot.
Some recommendations, perhaps.

Symphony X aren't symphonic metal. Just because they have the word "symphony" in their name means nothing.

If you want real symphonic metal, try bands like Hollenthon, Limbonic Art, Ancient Rites, Vesania... there are tons.

They're prog-power with a bit of thrash. It's an intersection that sounds like it could be cool but is usually gay. Some of their stuff is good, some is not. There are a ton of Symphony X clone bands that almost all suck.

Rhapsody, btw. Duh.

It is awesome, but I'm not sure how it's relevant here.
Yeah, just had to express my love.

Back on topic;
Ithyphallic.jpg

Just picked this up; legendary.
Nile are awesome.

I have The Sickness and it's not atrocious.

With Nile:

In Their Darkened Shrines >>>>>>>>>>>> Amongst The Catacombs > Annihilation of the Wicked > Black Seeds of Vengeance > Ithyphallic. Haven't received In The Beginning yet.

I haven't had the time to give Nile the focused listening they require. I just know I've liked what I've heard from Ithyphallic and Annihilation of the Wicked.

Darkened Shrines is 10x better. The riffing is still technical but the focus is not on technicality. There's a frenzy of technical churning riffs punctuated by insane blasts and fills that gradually climaxes and resolves into really great, memorable, eastern melodies and slow, epic chord progressions. Unas, Slayer of the Gods shits all over anything on the two you mentioned, as does Sarcophagus. The vocal performance is more dynamic, as all three contribute vocals more or less equally. There's also restrained use of keyboards and ambience that really adds a lot to certain tracks.