The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Baroness' 2007 album was great, but I guess that makes me a hipster. Sunn is obviously great and Mastodon has good instrumentation but bores me a little.

I have not heard the new album but plan on seeing them live and anticipate awesomeness and skullets. I also expect that the album will be of high quality but fail to match In Their Darkened Shrines.

I see what you're getting at there I guess. I would agree then that people tend to listen to those bands for different reasons than they listen to metal (at first you kinda implied people who listened to those bands were posers who couldn't possibly like real metal too or something). I mostly listen to Baroness for the guitar work, which is kind of an indie thing I guess.

Do you enjoy this in the way you enjoy metal or in a different way? I ask this because even people who like those bands tend to say that they aren't really metal or at the very least do not share metal's approach to music making.

I don't really give a shit, tbh. I think this is a dumb way of looking at music. Boris were certainly metal for a few albums (Amplifier Worship being the major one) and were heavy rock and sometimes post-rock on other things I like by them (Heavy Rocks, which is aptly named...Akuma No Uta, Pink and Flood, plus I guess Feedbacker though it is weaker than most of the other stuff). I like the early, more droning Sunn O))) stuff.

I see what you're getting at there I guess. I would agree then that people tend to listen to those bands for different reasons than they listen to metal (at first you kinda implied people who listened to those bands were posers who couldn't possibly like real metal too or something). I mostly listen to Baroness for the guitar work, which is kind of an indie thing I guess.
Yeah I don't think that liking bands like that makes you a poser or less metal or whatever. If any frustration comes in it's because a lot of people who don't know anything about metal start liking these bands and act like they're the best metal has to offer, when really these are just the metal bands that non-metal people can understand.

I'm kind of obsessed with the Mars Volta all of a sudden, I guess you can probably tell. I don't think it's really as cool to like them anymore as it once was, but I'm old. It happens.

Listening to Sin After Sin on vinyl. Sounds great. I love hearing old records how they were supposed to sound before going to cd and being remastered and shit. the vinyl is old and a bit crackly at times, but still awesome.

I'm kind of obsessed with the Mars Volta all of a sudden, I guess you can probably tell. I don't think it's really as cool to like them anymore as it once was, but I'm old. It happens.

I have their first album and I enjoy it from time to time. :)

Listening to Sin After Sin on vinyl. Sounds great. I love hearing old records how they were supposed to sound before going to cd and being remastered and shit. the vinyl is old and a bit crackly at times, but still awesome.

Yeah I've got some of the Priest albums of vinyl. I found them in really good condition. I don't think my copy of Defenders of the Faith had been played.

I have their first album and I enjoy it from time to time. :)

I go pretty nuts over anything Omar Rodriguez Lopez touches lately, it's so different and soooo good. Hahaha. :)

Is that Deloused in the Comatorium that you have, or Frances the Mute?

I'm curious, how many people here like bands like Boris, Sunn O))), Mastodon, Baroness etc.? I've always thought of this stuff as metal for hipsters and not for people who actually like metal. Is this true or do people into metal also like them?

I ask because The AV Club just released it's best metal of the decade list and a lot of it was that kind of metal.
I read the AV Club a lot. So it was good to see that list, because they completely ignored heavy/extreme music on their best-of-the-decade list. Boris and Mastodon are for real. Boris especially. Akuma No Uta is not a metal album, but it is a fantastic rock album. "Naki Kyoku" is such a triumph of music. It's as entertaining from start to finish as any 12 minute song can be. You have to enter into that album with a different mindset than you do with metal, but it offers a lot of the things metalheads love, in an epic feel and structure, some rocky/thrashy/punky/drony/doominess. It's one of the best things ever. I can't see how anyone here couldn't enjoy it. As far as I know, it's Boris' most complete and accessible work.

Pink is not as coherent an album, but when it hits, it really hits. Every other album is understandably very hit-and-miss.

Mastodon's first three albums have all sorts of neat stuff going on, namely Leviathan. They're really a prog band disguised as a sludge band. They are never not entertaining, certainly due to the fact that they have one of the top five or so most fun drummers in metal. I didn't get behind the newest album. Go with Remission for pure sludgy heaviness, Blood Mountain for techy/proggy sludge, and Leviathan for something in between. They write good songs, and are definitely a band worth listening to.

I don't know about Baroness, and I'm not much of a Sunn fan.

On a related note, I'm enjoying Jesu - Conqueror right now. I hated the shit out of this the first time I heard it, but it really makes for good drunk music. It's best to not really pay attention to the lyrics. It could be better, but I can understand the hype for it. I could see other releases being better than this and being very good.

So I was listening to Krisiun - Conquerors of Armageddon last night and wondering what I should get next from them. Something with more variety would be nice.