The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Oh yes. I have been waiting for some actual songs. Abyss Within My Soul sounds like an extension of Monotheist, which is not surprising as Tom has stated a lot of material for Tryptikon was intended for the Monotheist follow up. A Thousand lies just kicks ass. Toms vocals are killer on that track. Most vocalists seem to chill out over the years but those are some of his most fucked up intense vocals yet.

they have some interesting stuff..
this one is called "Life's Bottom Line"

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the new Revelation, While Heaven Wept, and Master's Hammer albums, what else has been released recently that's worth checking out?

I think at long last people have just stopped caring about new Slayer material. This is excellent, and we should not rock the boat.

Did anyone else listen to the new Skeletonwitch? I thought it was a step up from the debut and all kinds of awesome; interested in hearing other opinions.

It's more thrash-oriented, with a more organic sound. Took a couple spins to really click for me entirely, but definitely worth checking out. Badass artwork, too; glad I bought the preorder with the shirt.

Anyone had the chance to listen the new Arch Enemy?
I really like their recent albums, but I understand
this is a remake album of their early songs..
any good?

Turning down low enough that he can't be heard.

I actually don't like to hear bass in my black, death, power, and melodic death metals. In trad/speed/uspm, thrash, and the various forms of progressive metal I like to hear them doing something similar to but different from the guitars, in a way that complements the riffs well, rather than just jamming with the drummer.

I tend to like bass grooves (6x multiplier in rock band!) and walking bass lines. I also like bass drops. Technical prowess is only important to the point of not making mistakes. I absolutely hate Dream Theater's bassist and shit like that.

Arch Enemy sucks.

So I'm curious, what do y'all non-bassists think makes a good metal bassist? Groove? Technical prowess? Well-timed slides? I feel like I'm the only one on this board who ever talks about bass.

I like all of those qualities, plus tone. Some bassists use a completely warm and bland tone, I hate that, it makes what he/she is playing less interesting to listen to. I like bright/cold/clear bass tones, but almost everyone uses that these days so it's kind of getting stale.