The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

d3b47ab4c510.jpg

:kickass: Brutality-fueled brutality. There isn't a second of let-up on this disc. Nonstop ball-smashing slams 100% of the time, perfectly encapsulates the barbarity and primitive nature of slam without being a self-parody. Just awesome.

Schwärzung;8763393 said:
Wrest's main project is Leviathan. I heard that the only reason that he used the name Lurker of Chalice was due to a licensing issue or something.
The first LoC album is definitely a side project. There were four or so albums worth of original material that were never released. Massive Conspiracy Against All Life was originally being pitched as LoC, but Moribund won out and got it published by Leviathan, as that material quite clearly did not sound like LoC.

Great album though. Too bad it appears like the days of Wrest releasing new music are over. I suppose that it's possible someone will dig up some old demos to release. There are certainly enough of them.

I like all of those qualities, plus tone. Some bassists use a completely warm and bland tone, I hate that, it makes what he/she is playing less interesting to listen to. I like bright/cold/clear bass tones, but almost everyone uses that these days so it's kind of getting stale.

I used to have a similar mindset, until bands like Krallice and Watain changed my mind. Now I like both the aformentioned tone and a warm, crisp, slightly overdriven tone created by tube amplifiers.

Jesus guys, is it that important? It's not like there aren't a million album covers packed with dismembered body parts already. :erk:

I used to have a similar mindset, until bands like Krallice and Watain changed my mind. Now I like both the aformentioned tone and a warm, crisp, slightly overdriven tone created by tube amplifiers.

A little growl usually sounds good on bass, but full-on distortion sounds pretty bad.

If anyone has heard Katatonia's For Funerals to Come EP, i just wanna point out that Jonas' vocals is fuckin awesome and perfect.

Twilight of the Gods combines the first 3 songs into a half-hour track. Sucks, because I'd love to skip past the title track...those reissues could have been done much better, overall. Like printing the lyrics in a legible font size...

Alot of the time in metal the bass can have some distortion but in the mix you dont hear it as much it just gives clarity to certain frequencies that makes it cut through. Cliff Burtons bass sound was for example alot more distorted than people realize. Its just that in the mix it doesnt sound like it all that much.

Full blown distortion on bass most often doesnt work in metal but a nice little growl is, not always but often, almost required. But then again we have excellent stuff like Obscura where the music is brutal but the bass cuts through nicely even if it is totally clean (sounds like it anyway). But then again it also has to do with not just pumping root notes.

Am I the only person who likes Caina? Temporary Antennae is all over the place, but it's a really neat album. Every song sounds like something different. I like the vocal effects and synth use. Recalls Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain, Opeth's Damnation, Porcupine Tree's Signify, and others. I don't know where to go next with them, but I look forward to hearing more.

I'm just about at the point where I'll buy everything Profound Lore puts out now. Almost all hits for me.