The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Checking out a track from the new Enslaved cuz of this debate. It's pretty good, and definitely feels quite proggy/post-blackish.

Cor Scorpii is very good, and IIR it's just the keyboardist from windir.

Ooooooh, I thought it was one of the guitar players too.

I do LOVE Journey to the end though. Its a wicked song.

Epic. Fucking. Song.

Checking out a track from the new Enslaved cuz of this debate. It's pretty good, and definitely feels quite proggy/post-blackish.

It's more original than the new Drudkh, at least.

The new Drudkh is original, who ever decided to play black metal in a rock guitar tone before? :(

Dont like either of those new releases honestly.

Drudkh probably should have gone with a bunch of singing also. It would have suited the music. (The guitar tone is slightly original, but it was an entirely predictable turn.) It sounded good when Nokturnal Mortum had the big choruses, and the vocals are great on the Enslaved. I can't blame the guys who are 15-20 year BM veterans from moving away from extreme vocals. Better than sounding absolutely terrible like Ihsahn has since at least 2000.

It sounded good when Nokturnal Mortum had the big choruses, and the vocals are great on the Enslaved. I can't blame the guys who are 15-20 year BM veterans from moving away from extreme vocals. Better than sounding absolutely terrible like Ihsahn has since at least 2000.

I like the music itself on the new enslaved. Cleaner vocals don't really bother me, but on this album I stopped playing it the second I heard the new vocals, and didn't listen to it again until I was alone in my room with no one else around to bear witness to it. I do commend them on doing something new though, and it becomes more tolerable after listening to it a few more times. It seems like a progression they had to make too, because theres a million bands out there that copy the old bm sound, so the veterans of it have to differentiate themselves from it to stay in the game.

So yeah I guess in conclusion, I couldn't stand it at first...but it's growing on me. I think I want to like it because I love old enslaved, but it's still kind of up in the air. But interesting in that it's one of few albums that have caused me to put this much thought into. It definitely threw me for a loop.

The new Enslaved is the number 1 album of the year on RYM. People are seriously full of shit.

I haven't listened to a ton of albums this year, but out of what I have, Enslaved is easily the best. Of course there are big bands like Agalloch and Deathspell Omega to follow.

This all exemplifies the point that end-of-the-year rankings are retarded, because only really established bands like those I mentioned are going to be heard by enough people to climb the ranks. Whatever the best album from this year was won't be known until years from now. Apparently people still dig up demos from the mid '90s and claim they are amazing, and it's easier to record music now by many degrees.

Maledicere is one of my favorite bands of the decade, and no one else here has listened to them. Things are so fragmented that rankings are worthless for the most part.

I'm liking the new Enslaved. Best album of the year? Maaaybe a bit of a stretch. But I like it.

Ditto on the post a couple back about the forthcoming Agalloch. Expecting that one to make the list in a couple weeks here.

I am sitting here thinking of the old Slayer v Metallica debate. It comes down to feeling vs ferocity, I reckon. Slayer is more balls to the wall, but classic Metallica (first 4 albums) just has so much more fucking feeling to it. The songs are structured much better, too. I don't care how cult of following songs like Angel of Death have; something like Disposable Heroes absolutely destroys Slayer's best efforts in terms of music and (especially) lyrics.

Does anyone else listen to Chroming Rose? They were a power metal band in the 90s. For fans of Helloween and Scanner I suppose.

Drudkh probably should have gone with a bunch of singing also. It would have suited the music. (The guitar tone is slightly original, but it was an entirely predictable turn.) It sounded good when Nokturnal Mortum had the big choruses, and the vocals are great on the Enslaved. I can't blame the guys who are 15-20 year BM veterans from moving away from extreme vocals. Better than sounding absolutely terrible like Ihsahn has since at least 2000.

I love the three Ihsahn solo full lengths. The Adversary is amazing. Way better than new Enslaved.