The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Andromeda represents everything that is wrong with progmetal. They suck and should die. Listen to Watchtower or Asphyx instead!

VVVVV said:
Hint: prog metal as a genre isn't progressive at all.

I figured we'd established this.

Progressive applies to anything pushing boundaries,genre-breaking, genre-defining, or avant-garde.

Prog is just a name for stuff that sounds like Yes or Dream Theater. Anything involving really long songs, wanking, hypertechnicality, virtuoso DVD's, superfluous side projects, keyboards, and Mike Portnoy.

Love em both, and on a rare treat-like occasion, we get a BOGO.

The best King Crimson songs are on the debut, but I don't think its their strongest overall. Pink Floyd are obviously the best progressive rock band.

Progressive metal is not very progressive, it's usually about guitar wankery and how-hard-it-is-to-play, rather than complex song structure. I havn't heared a single band that is labelled like this and actually sounds good...

anonymousnick2001 said:
I figured we'd established this.

Progressive applies to anything pushing boundaries,genre-breaking, genre-defining, or avant-garde.

Prog is just a name for stuff that sounds like Yes or Dream Theater. Anything involving really long songs, wanking, hypertechnicality, virtuoso DVD's, superfluous side projects, keyboards, and Mike Portnoy.

Love em both, and on a rare treat-like occasion, we get a BOGO.

Indeed Nick. "True progressive" or "avant-garde" is maudlin of the Well, etc. Cookie-cutter prog metal however is just a heavier, more technical version of old prog rock bands, essentially.

kmik said:
The best King Crimson songs are on the debut, but I don't think its their strongest overall. Pink Floyd are obviously the best progressive rock band.

Progressive metal is not very progressive, it's usually about guitar wankery and how-hard-it-is-to-play, rather than complex song structure. I havn't heared a single band that is labelled like this and actually sounds good...

Give Frantic bleep and Behold..the arctopus a listen. There not progressive in the "true" sense, but thery are both very good prog metal bands. Bands like Dream theatre can go fallate themselves with sandpaper for all I care.

I picked up the new Drudkh album the other day, I'm liking it so far. It seems a bit more harsh and intense than autumn aurora, which is kinda unexpected as I was expecting a much more chilled out, folky album.

My first impression of Darkspace is that they're really, really good. They've got that organic Demoncy/Sort Vokter-type pulse to them a lot of the time, but with long and rather epic gradually/subtley developing songs incorporating some death metal, ambient and industrial influences along the way.

AN - Revelation I: World Minus Population is a fantastic release. It's sort of atmospheric death metal with a few black metal elements thrown around... lots of style changes within the one album, but for some reason it all sounds very cohesive.