The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

Re: the new Amon Amarth, after more listens it's grown a bit. I'd put it fifth in their discography, after Once Sent From The Golden Hall, Versus The World, With Oden On Our Side, and The Crusher. It's pretty good but not great. The album itself is worthwhile for fans or if it's available cheap. The DVD makes it highly worthwhile for anyone interested in the band, as it makes it basically 5 albums in one.

Re: the new Amon Amarth, after more listens it's grown a bit. I'd put it fifth in their discography, after Once Sent From The Golden Hall, Versus The World, With Oden On Our Side, and The Crusher. It's pretty good but not great. The album itself is worthwhile for fans or if it's available cheap. The DVD makes it highly worthwhile for anyone interested in the band, as it makes it basically 5 albums in one.

I thought the album was pretty mediocre when I first listened to it, but like you, it grew on me after a few listens. There were subtle nuances that were missed on the first listen that are picked up over time that make what I originally thought was mediocre to be pretty damn good. I used to think that if an album didn't impress me from the very first listen that it was never going to, but after reading so many opinions basically saying, 'You have to listen to it more than once,' I realized that if so many people felt that way, there might be something to it. And I'm glad I did.

Right now I'm listening to Immortal - At the Heart of Winter, which is probably the only perfect album in my collection. I rated all the songs as 5 stars and I haven't been able to do that with any other album. No matter how many times I've listened to it, it never gets old. I like all their albums, but there's something about Winter that's special in a way I don't know how to explain. And the guitars on this album are almost orgasmic. Well, they get me hot and bothered anyway. :saint:

Yes I agree! For me it is a toss-up between At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness for best Immortal album

Anyway, so I just started listening so Morgul, the Horror Grandeur. This is wtfAmazing. Really experimental and just f'ing awesome. Never really discovered "horror metal" before.

I don't like them too much. Something about their music that I can't quite put a finger on just pushes me towards changing it whenever i try and put it on. I only have the Heartache and Dethroned comp. and Ascension. how's their slightly older material?

but yeah...it's fucking candlemass week for this guy. just saying.

I like old school metal, because I am old. There hasn't been very much old school sounding metal in 2011. It's been a pretty dull year thus far. I been listening to Sister Sin - True Sound Of The Underground, Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth, basicly cds from 2010. Hopefully some good classic sounding shit will come out before 2011 is over.

The only stuff released over the past 10 years that I have liked was Celtic Frost "Monotheist" and Triptykons debut album and all the Rammstein albums...theres something about modern music that I just dont like..I dunno, it sounds plastic or over produced to me...or over dramatic. I love a fair amount of 80s and 90s metal though like WASP, Morbid Angel, Iron Maiden, Pantera and such though I am extremely picky about what I like in metal.

Welcome back to myself and dark chaotic hails from Australia everyone! \m///// I bloody love what celtic frost done on monotheist it inspired me a lot too as a musician subliminally! as i noticed later after writing a song, the mood was some what similar. Triptykon I enjoy also, and i think warrior made the right decision starting a new band instead of releasing it under Celtic Frost, but to me it is just monotheist redone with warrior adding extra elements in a pretentious manner... don't get me wrong i like the music very much but i don't think it's amazing or as good as monotheist.

Gorkon i understand where your coming from, i often look to the past to find new interesting material rather then what's just coming out. A "holy" haha gem i just found is the first two albums by christian death metallers Believer, "extraction from mortality" and " sanity obscure" ideas man! These albums are full of new ideas, from the use of different intro like the on album openers "unite" with it's of key piano and samples to "dies irae" on the second album which has a female opera singer singing over an ochestra which then gets heavy metal riffage weaved in and chrushes all, amazing stuff! This band has everything i love in metal, heavy shredding guitars, bass high in the mix doing its own thing every now and then, variated drumming, screaming vox like pestilence which is probably the best comparison to the band and warping solos, one literally coming out of no where on the track "shadow of death" it made me laugh but happy as hell at the same time! Not to be looked over if your into death atheist and pestilence, metal for the mind!

I'm currently listening tooo...

Agalloch-Marrow Of The Spirit

Alcest-Écailles de Lune

Lake Of Blood-As Time And Tide Erodes Stone

Cynic-Traced In Air

Benediction-Transcend The Rubicon

Immolation-Unholy Cult

Malevolent Creation-Invidious Dominion

Cryptopsy-None So Vile

Burzum-Fallen

So I just listened to Royal Hunt's The Watchers compilation. I found it extremely impressive. Can anyone tell me which of their full-lengths would be the best place to start? My tastes run towards catchiness and atmosphere, and I have fairly little interest in unnecessary displays of technicality.

Gorkon i understand where your coming from, i often look to the past to find new interesting material rather then what's just coming out. A "holy" haha gem i just found is the first two albums by christian death metallers Believer, "extraction from mortality" and " sanity obscure" ideas man! These albums are full of new ideas, from the use of different intro like the on album openers "unite" with it's of key piano and samples to "dies irae" on the second album which has a female opera singer singing over an ochestra which then gets heavy metal riffage weaved in and chrushes all, amazing stuff! This band has everything i love in metal, heavy shredding guitars, bass high in the mix doing its own thing every now and then, variated drumming, screaming vox like pestilence which is probably the best comparison to the band and warping solos, one literally coming out of no where on the track "shadow of death" it made me laugh but happy as hell at the same time! Not to be looked over if your into death atheist and pestilence, metal for the mind!

Believer is indeed awesome, although I'm most partial towards Dimensions myself.

Revolver just premiered the new Seven Day Sonnet video for "Farewell to Good Days". Check it out here -- http://www.revolvermag.c...to-good-days-video.html

Very political video with a strong message. I'd say it's preachy but they're just displaying facts -- a very effective approach to getting the message across -- the songs great as well especially the vocal breakdown/vamp at the end. What do you guys think?

I see a lot of 80's and 90's traditional metal fans here. Maybe you would enjoy this:

Several full songs here: https://www.facebook.com/artizanmetal

curse-of-the-artizan_cover.jpg

I love Michael Kiske's voice, he is a singer best known as the lead vocalist for the German power metal band Helloween, from 1986 to 1993. From 1996 up to 2009, Kiske recorded four solo albums, participated on various metal and rock related projects, while he also performed with numerous bands as a guest vocalist. This year 2011 he is going to release an album with his new band "Unisonic" and he has been performing on stage with Gamma Ray and with Avantasia.

This is a video collection with the best of MICHAEL KISKE performing with Avantasia at Wacken Open Air 2011 (Germany) on 6 Aug 2011

Last edited by a moderator: