The Top 5 List Thread

Top 5 alcohols (revised)

• Rounded Scotch: Balvenie Doublewood. Would be my intro to Scotch choice if anyone ever asked. Aberlour as a good alternate.
  • Peaty Scotch: Lagavulin 16 for my priciest one on the list for special occasions. Tough to justify $100 a bottle. Springbank as a much cheaper alternate as has a unique saline quality unlike any other Scotch I've tried.
  • Floral/Herbal Scotch: Glenlivet 12. Where can't you find this? So great in summer too being good with ice unlike most other Scotches
  • Tequila: Don Julio Blanco. Just got my first bottle last night and already drank a quarter of the bottle (that's a lot for me. I'm a lightweight). Was hesitant to spend $50 on tequila, but this one is a game changer! For the money Espolon Blanco is still the standard though. A touch harsher with a little less flavor but at $27 a bottle it's a steal!
  • Beer: Dos Equis w/ liberal lime wedges/juice. My other summer favorite alongside Glenlivet.
As an aside am I the only one who like blanco tequilas over reposados? I've only tried 3 but maybe it's being a Scotch fan I like it better for an aged spirit vs the more pure/unique flavor of the blancos?

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
apropos of nothing @Phylactery

based on my own analysis of stats/achievements/context/etc, all time top 10 tennis players (post-laver/rosewall/newcombe):

1) federer
2) borg
3) djokovic
4) nadal
5) sampras
6) connors
7) lendl
8) mcenroe
9) agassi
10) murray

wilander, becker and edberg would be 11-13.

Nice list, but what makes you put Djokovic above Nadal? And Murray seems questionable.

I've recently seen a few arguments in places that Nadal is a better player than Federer because of their head to head record. This stance is sIlly because it fails to take into account that their head to head has a disproportionate amount of matches played on clay. Nadal is clearly the better player on clay and pretty much undisputibly the greatest clay court player ever. Secondly, it fails to take into account the consistency. Federer simply doesn't go out early in grand slam tournaments which Nadal often does in ones that aren't the French. And really it's kind of foolish logic to say Nadal has beaten Federer more than Federer has beaten him therefore he's the better player. Federer is clearly more well rounded.

Last edited:
my post specified post-laver fyi

murray's joint 9th for grand slam finals, 8th for semi finals, 7th for quarter finals (ahead of sampras even), has an all time top 10 win ratio at two of the slams, 9th highest win ratio of all time across all tournaments (3rd on grass behind only fed and mcenroe), 9th against top 10 opponents too, and all that in a strong era, maybe the strongest. the only thing he's lacking is actual championships, but literally every single one of the 8 finals he's lost has been against federer or djokovic, so i don't think those losses can be held against him too much. put him in a weaker era and he probably cleans up a ton of slams. he's destined to be very underrated because of getting overshadowed by the amazing achievements of his contemporaries i think.

comparing djokovic and nadal is hard because nadal is obviously greater on clay than djokovic is on any surface, and djokovic is a greater all-rounder. there really isn't much separating them to my mind, or statistically. djokovic is in the top 4 for win ratio across all three grand slam surfaces though, nobody else across history is even close to doing that. granted, that's probably easier to do these days than it used to be, but even so, pretty amazing. he also held all four slams at once which nadal hasn't done, and has a better overall win ratio against top 10 guys. there are lots of arguments for nadal too though; for starters, obviously nobody in history has dominated a surface or slam like he has. i could easily put them both above borg too - borg retired while still in his prime so it's hard to compare him with others, but he was statistically pretty amazing and was playing in an era when it was much harder to succeed on all surfaces.

Reactions: Phylactery
top 5 football transfers this summer

no order

Kolarov -> Roma
Klaassen -> Everton
Bonucci -> Milan
Calhanoglu -> Milan
Tolisso -> Bayern

Interesting man, all of these are both realistic and wise decisions for the clubs involved imo. Kolarov in particular I'd even place a wager on.

Top 5 Bolt Thrower albums:

1: Realm of Chaos
2: Honour Valor Pride
3: War Master
4: The IVth Crusade
5: ...For Victory

but guise, music is subjective

EDIT: To be fair it's a cracker of an album, just grazes in at sixth for me. Never clicked with me as much as the others.

Top 5 Bathory albums:

1: Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2: Hammerheart
3: Blood Fire Death
4: Bathory
5: Twilight of the Gods

Last edited:
Top 5 Dimmu Borgir albums:
  1. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
  2. Spiritual Black Dimensions
  3. Stormblast
  4. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
  5. Death Cult Armageddon

Top 5 Dimmu Borgir songs:
  1. Broderskapets Ring
  2. Kings of the Carnival Creation
  3. Spellbound
  4. Mourning Palace
  5. The Insight and the Catharsis

Top 5 Dimmu Borgir album covers:
  1. Stormblast
  2. For All Tid
  3. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
  4. Godless Savage Garden
  5. Spiritual Black Dimensions

Top 5 Dimmu Borgir lyrics:
  1. "The sin of life is life itself"
  2. "I could drag you to my chambers, and strip you naked in darkness... I could pull out your fingernails one by one, and rape you till you find no hope... I could rip your guts out, and let you watch me sacrifice your unborn child... I could leave you to starve, and even bring you to total silence... but I won't. For I find no pleasure in your physical pain... I want your Christian soul to crumble."
  3. "Straight to the sky it is erected from the endless black memories of time"
  4. "Devouring their flesh with a razor blade smile"
  5. "You worthless piece of shit, may we all depart from this world, and dissolve into nothingness"

Last edited:
Top 5 moments on Far Away from the Sun:

1. 3:52 - 4:14 in "Far Away from the Sun" (This time my journey was forever, I knew there was no turning back. I had found the castle of myself and I fell asleep far away from the sun.)

2. 2:20 - 3:30 in "Obsolete Tears" (Into the silent desolate dead sphere, echoes of wisdom nothing but tears. Buried in monuments of purest gold, secrets of the universe oh so old. Into the midst of the elder one's lair, spiritual wisdom floats the air, the portal is open, leave the mortal life behind, the unknown is known, incredible thoughts.)

3. 2:41 - 3:03 and repeated again at 4:26 - 4:48 in "Beyond All Horizons" (I am the ruler beyond the horizons, awakening, darkness is our light. Blackened hearts open up for majestic thoughts, beyond all horizons, I dwell and have the right for might.)

4. 2:13 - 3:30 in "Cries from a Restless Soul" (In my lonely mortal wondering, darkened by burdens. Emptiness is ruling the sombre mind of mine. When time cease to be, my soul it can be free. Kept alive be hatred, all alone.)

5. 1:55 - 2:43 in "Fog's Kiss" (I'm in the air and I'm in the water, I'm in the earth and I'm in the fire. I laugh at the helpless mortals as I leave the grounds forever. I entered my space beyond where fragments of my dreams were hidden, the dark left me on the shore to eternity's majestic domains)

This one's mostly for you @no country for old wainds

Top 5 Wipers:
1. Better Off Dead
2. Window Shop for Love
3. Doom Town
4. When It's Over
5. No Generation Gap

Top 5 Hot Snakes:
1. Suicide Invoice
2. Automatic Midnight
3. I Hate the Kids
4. 10th Planet
5. Audit in Progress (they know their title tracks)

I'd do Dead Moon but I'm only up to Stranded... in their discog. Right now my top 5 would be basically Demona + the first half of Defiance.