the "translate please" thread

Good point :D

There's a Swedish player in the Lyon team in France btw, you wouldn't imagine how they pronounce his name ! Got me mad everytime, when i was working for this football radio thing...

One hard thing to understand with scandinavian lyrics would be the Vintersorg stuff. The words are prolly not used anymore in a hundred years or so. Crap.
But they certainly sound funny !

But of course :)
I think it is ok if I can understand the lyrics. So scandinavian language or english is just fine.

I hate football. That works fine, since the norwegian team is crap anyway.

Norwegian team is not crap; Finalnd, that's a crap team :lol: (except the now out of the games Litmaanen)..Solskjaer (sorry for not using the diacritic signs) made Manchester win a Champions League, for example (I guess '99).

CAMPIONI DEL MONDO!!! :kickass:

Do DT support any football team?

:)
We don't really speak like that ... or Bokmål might be some kind of language for the ultra fine people, if you understand me. Nynorsk is made out of the different dialects in Norway.
They are both only written diversities of the same language really.

I didn't get that Turkish thing. When I was there I was told it was the same family. But I don't know.

The reason I asked about Icelandic is that it really is kind of norwegian like it was a 1000 years ago or something. Iceland is an Island and isolated somewhere extreme north, so they have kept a lot of old "norrøn" as we call it in Norway. That's why I think they might still have casus as in
german.

So what kind of dialect is taught in Norway's schools? Every place has its own version taught or maybe you have a sort of common "fake" (meaning that no one speakes really it 'cause no one feels it like his) language? Ah, something I'd like to know: Can norwegian understand swedish and/or vice versa?

Which part of Norway are you from? Sometime when I'm on this topic I wonder that you could live near Abbath's home, or around the forest that inspired Blashyrkh :lol:

So what kind of dialect is taught in Norway's schools? Every place has its own version taught or maybe you have a sort of common "fake" (meaning that no one speakes really it 'cause no one feels it like his) language? Ah, something I'd like to know: Can norwegian understand swedish and/or vice versa?

Which part of Norway are you from? Sometime when I'm on this topic I wonder that you could live near Abbath's home, or around the forest that inspired Blashyrkh :lol:

In school you can speek whatever dialect you want, but for writing you have to use either bokmål or nynorsk. Norwegian written language is always evolving, witch makes me like :loco:. It is a commitee doing that job. They have changed champagne into sjampanje or something. :loco:

Norwegian do understand both swedish and danish well. They on the other hand is crap in any other language then there own. :lol:

I live in the capital, Oslo. Where does Abbath live?

Many norwegians is very proud of there dialect and uses it in forums like this if they can. It makes it very hard for people like me. I don't like to struggle to much when i'm reading norwegian.

Norwegian team is not crap; Finalnd, that's a crap team (except the now out of the games Litmaanen)..Solskjaer (sorry for not using the diacritic signs) made Manchester win a Champions League, for example (I guess '99).

Solskjær yes. You don't have that letter on your computer I believe. He is some kind of hero on Manchester? I haven't got a clue.

but then wehn you learn how to write in 1st grade, what do the teachers teach you? nynorsk or bokmål? or it depends where you live in Norway?

but then wehn you learn how to write in 1st grade, what do the teachers teach you? nynorsk or bokmål? or it depends where you live in Norway?

Well, I think it is mainly politics :Smug:
Where I learned to write it was always bokmål, witch is the most used. Nynorsk is always kind of catching up. There is really a struggle from certain organisations that has made it a fight, but they tend to loose.
I don't think there is too many schools left that teach nynorsk. For some regions in Norway it would have been natural, but nynorsk still tend to loose.
I really don't care to much. The important thing is still the dialects and the written language will never be worth fighting for.

Norway was in a union with first Denmark from after the black death, the end of 1300 hundreds to 1814. After that it was a constant struggle in a union with the swedes to 1905. So the written language is very much influenced by the danish written language. Norwegian is what people speak, dialects. Bokmål is the most influenced by danish. Nynorsk was really made up from the dialects on the west coast as a reaction to the danish influence. A man called Ivar Aasen actually made nynorsk. But not all people in Norway think they can relate to a written language made up by the dialects on the west coast. Bokmål is also the written language of the capital and closest to how they speak on the TV.

So I guess you can say bokmål has higher status ...

In school you can speek whatever dialect you want, but for writing you have to use either bokmål or nynorsk. Norwegian written language is always evolving, witch makes me like :loco:. It is a commitee doing that job. They have changed champagne into sjampanje or something. :loco:

Norwegian do understand both swedish and danish well. They on the other hand is crap in any other language then there own. :lol:

I live in the capital, Oslo. Where does Abbath live?

Many norwegians is very proud of there dialect and uses it in forums like this if they can. It makes it very hard for people like me. I don't like to struggle to much when i'm reading norwegian.

Solskjær yes. You don't have that letter on your computer I believe. He is some kind of hero on Manchester? I haven't got a clue.

I think Abbath live(d) in Bergen...wow Oslo, I think it's a great place!

For Solskjær..yes I don't have that one :loco: He is a good player but not some kind of idle or something like that, at all..I remember him as a strong midfield (I don't know if he still plays and if he does, where..)

I don't want to be unpolite but sjampanje is awful!! :lol: Up to now I had never heard 'bout a nation that nationalised that word! :Smug:
Seriously: but what's the official norwegian spoken in tv etc.? A dialect chosen commonly among the all norwegian ones or a sort of "Frankenstein" made up by all dialects?

volve: thanks... interesting...

in Belgium, written French and spoken French are the same, but some people still use words from a language that was spoken there 100 years ago. Now it is almost a dead language and only old people can speak it. But some people still tend to use one oder another word from it, and actually quite a few people who dont have a lot of money do it more often than richer people.

volve: thanks... interesting...

in Belgium, written French and spoken French are the same, but some people still use words from a language that was spoken there 100 years ago. Now it is almost a dead language and only old people can speak it. But some people still tend to use one oder another word from it, and actually quite a few people who dont have a lot of money do it more often than richer people.

Walloon?

You're asking more than seven wise men can answer as we sometimes say. :)

The national broadcaster in Norway(NRK) has a rule that people working in front of the camera has to speak either nynorsk or bokmål, but I don't think the other channels has any strickt rule on that. It would probably not be popular. People want to speak the way it is natural for them to do, but I think they may have to "move" a little bit towards some generally known word if they work in front of the camera.

One of the channels has now a weather presenter from Sweden, so I guess dialects is ok most of the time.

NRK is old and has to live by old rules, so people tend to forgive them.

I think norwegians considers it to be practical with one written language, at least in Oslo. Many want to take the second norwegian language out of school. Because we have to learn the other written language in school too. But less and for a shorter period of time. Many thinks young people are to bad i norwegian writing and want to take the other language out of school. I think in Oslo because there is so many students, you can choose witch language to write.

We do have a minority group witch is just as original in the northern part of Norway as the decendants of Harald Hårfagre is in the south. The sami people. I think it would be much more interesting to learn some sami in school. I have never had any sami at all. It belongs to the same family as finnish I think.

We do have a minority group witch is just as original in the northern part of Norway as the decendants of Harald Hårfagre is in the south. The sami people. I think it would be much more interesting to learn some sami in school. I have never had any sami at all. It belongs to the same family as finnish I think.

Nope, they don't. I think the sami people have their own unique language that is not related to any other modern language. The name of their language is saame in Finnish, but I don't know how they call it themselves.

As for Turkish language being related to the Finnish, that's some old misunderstanding, dating back several decades. I can't recall the exact story, but my teacher told it back in 5th grade or so. In reality, there's nothing common between the two languages.

-Villain

Nope, they don't. I think the sami people have their own unique language that is not related to any other modern language. The name of their language is saame in Finnish, but I don't know how they call it themselves.

As for Turkish language being related to the Finnish, that's some old misunderstanding, dating back several decades. I can't recall the exact story, but my teacher told it back in 5th grade or so. In reality, there's nothing common between the two languages.

-Villain

You're right..Turkish (according to the newest theories) should be related with Japanese :)hypno: )..

since it's a nordic language i could possibly make some sense out of whatever it is. if it's reasonably short and you don't have any particular need of accuracy, that is.