the "translate please" thread

No, Finnish is, strangely enough, in the group with Hungarian, called ugrofinnish languages (or ugric?). Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are germanic languages (like English).

Going to Scandinavia, for now, is a dream..studying swedish/norwegian/danish could be a possibility at my university..I think grammars are not so compex (after doing 5 years of Latin I can almost judge these things :loco: :lol: ); ah I'm from Italy..

Well you know for instance in German they have many "kasus". I don't know what it is in english. But the scandinavian grammar is easier. We don't have so many kasus. Me and grammar :erk:

What's 'vita' (or something similar) or whatever word it comes from? For instance, what does 'vitahuset' mean? "House of ____"?

Edit: Welcome to the forum, mate. *waves*

Thank you.
This has been translated to swedish. In norwegian we would say "Det hvite hus". We don't use the "et" at the end of huset there.

Well you know for instance in German they have many "kasus". I don't know what it is in english. But the scandinavian grammar is easier. We don't have so many kasus. Me and grammar :erk:

I know what kasus or cases are, and I know German is the last one of the germanic languages to use them..

No, Finnish is, strangely enough, in the group with Hungarian, called ugrofinnish languages (or ugric?). Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are germanic languages (like English).

The same as turkish. I was in Turkey on holliday, and it was easy to see the similarities.

I know what kasus or cases are, and I know German is the last one of the germanic languages to use them...

Do you know how that is in icelandic?

The same as turkish. I was in Turkey on holliday, and it was easy to see the similarities.

Sorry, don't know even a word in Icelandic, also if I'd like to..it seems the most "obscure" of the german languages..anyway I'm quite intersted in all the northern languages..so if anyone knows..

No, Turkish is from another different family though both of them are agglutinative..even Japanese is agglutinative but is not from the same family of Turkish and nor from the Finnish's one..

Ah, just a question: Do you speak Nynorsk or Bokmal?

No, Turkish is from another different family though both of them are agglutinative..even Japanese is agglutinative but is not from the same family of Turkish and nor from the Finnish's one..

Ah, just a question: Do you speak Nynorsk or Bokmal?

:)
We don't really speak like that ... or Bokmål might be some kind of language for the ultra fine people, if you understand me. Nynorsk is made out of the different dialects in Norway.
They are both only written diversities of the same language really.

I didn't get that Turkish thing. When I was there I was told it was the same family. But I don't know.

The reason I asked about Icelandic is that it really is kind of norwegian like it was a 1000 years ago or something. Iceland is an Island and isolated somewhere extreme north, so they have kept a lot of old "norrøn" as we call it in Norway. That's why I think they might still have casus as in german.

Icelandic is the modern language that is the closest to old norse. Every Viking Metal band that sings in Norwegian should switch to Icelandic in order to be troo!

Icelandic is the modern language that is the closest to old norse. Every Viking Metal band that sings in Norwegian should switch to Icelandic in order to be troo!

Is there any Vikings left? I thought they were all dead :lol:

Well Enslaved sings some strange kind of viking I guess. I don't like them, they're boring.

Are you from Iceland?

Mexico has a good national football team though. They even won against Brazil.. though maybe Brazil hadnt warmed up yet ;)
During the World Cup, they showed solid matches, too. They're on their way to become a good team

The problem with Mexico is that they always do well in the Gold Cup and the America Cup and all of those minor championships and then screw up bigtime in the real one. Only once have they reached quarterfinals, i believe, and that was in one of the two world cups they hosted. There's even a phrase that's used for the way the national team plays: "fútbol llanero" (something like field/plains-football (don't ask); it means that the players kick the ball to wherever they feel like at the moment but never to where the goal or another mexican player is). They do have moments in which they shine briefly, but losing against Honduras and the likes is so-sad it's not even funny.

It's sad because Mexico has an extraordinary passion for football (some people save for years and even take their kids out of school to be able to pay for a ticket to whichever country will host the next world cup, which is something horrible but is also a great example of the mexican passion for football) and the team doesn't respond to it by playing well. They need a new coach (which they just got, and they got a good one, so let's hope for much), new players, less alcohol, more practice and lower salaries.

I heard that the last world cup's mexican team was better than usual, though (didn't watch the games; was too-busy watching the croatian ones). Maybe they have become better...

At least Mexico was qualified for the World Cup ;) Belgium didnt :bah: And Belgium wasnt even qualified for the last Euro... And it seems that they womt qualify for the next one either.... Thats a shame, before that, they qualified 5 times in a row for a world cup or something...
Anyway, I will just do like previous year, i will support Germany. Better chances to see games that dont make you fall asleep after 20 min like it is with Belgium...

LOST Against Argentinaa!!

@Volve: No, of course I'm not from Iceland :p

But of course :)
I think it is ok if I can understand the lyrics. So scandinavian language or english is just fine.

I hate football. That works fine, since the norwegian team is crap anyway.