the "translate please" thread

utility in the work field? probabily not much. I dont know shit about swedish vocabulary or grammar, but I have heard that its quite hard to write because of some letters that you dont pronounce but that you have to write (probabily something like in French but with other letters :p)

utility in the work field? probabily not much. I dont know shit about swedish vocabulary or grammar, but I have heard that its quite hard to write because of some letters that you dont pronounce but that you have to write (probabily something like in French but with other letters :p)

Ah..:cry: Ok, probably I have thought more about that possibilty..:lol:

Ok, it sounds strange: may some finnish one in here give me some basical tips of finnish? I am curious 'cause I know it's not a language of the indoeuropean family, instead it's part of the ugrofinnnic one..so..thx in advance, obviously..

Another language that I'd like to know something about is farsi (spoken in Iran)

If it takes pm me

In the book I'm now reading(Auschwitz Report),
I've come across, as the Italians say ... "a quattro mani"
translate please, maybe something about 4?
Thanks -

It should be something "made by two persons" (quattro=4, mani=hands)

I could not read all the previous pages of the therad, so here's my question: what about swedish and its difficulty/utility in the work field? Can someone tell me some basic grammar rule just to see how it works? I am thinking about an only 1 year exam next accademic (does this word exist?) year..

Well, I'm Norwegian. It's about 90 % similar I guess.
I'm hate grammar, but for instance like when you say "The house" ... you have to put "the" behind "house" and then it is "huset".
I would say it is easier to learn any scandinavian language from english, because they are closely related. But then I have had english in school from I was about 10 years old, so I guess it is easy for me to say.

Are you going to Sweden, or are you planning to learn swedish from your home country?

Ok, it sounds strange: may some finnish one in here give me some basical tips of finnish?

My tip: Don't waste your time trying to learn Finnish. Unless you have exceptional linguistic abilities or years of extra time, you won't learn decent Finnish at adult age. There are people who've lived here 10+ years and still speak and write horrible Finnish.

Our language is full of unruled things that are clear only to native speakers. There are very few prepositions, pretty much every word can (and needs to) be conjugated and there are dozens of ways to conjugate them. If you've seen the "Romani eunt domum"-scene in the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian", you might get an idea how difficult it is to learn such a language.

Also, with the sole exception of Estonian and some near-extinct minor languages, no knowledge of any language will help you when learning Finnish.

-Villain

My tip: Don't waste your time trying to learn Finnish. Unless you have exceptional linguistic abilities or years of extra time, you won't learn decent Finnish at adult age. There are people who've lived here 10+ years and still speak and write horrible Finnish.

Our language is full of unruled things that are clear only to native speakers. There are very few prepositions, pretty much every word can (and needs to) be conjugated and there are dozens of ways to conjugate them. If you've seen the "Romani eunt domum"-scene in the Monty Python movie "Life of Brian", you might get an idea how difficult it is to learn such a language.

Also, with the sole exception of Estonian and some near-extinct minor languages, no knowledge of any language will help you when learning Finnish.

-Villain

I can say that however I tried :lol:

What I think as difficult is that Finnish is an agglutinative one; but at the same time this is fascinating..btw thx a lot!

Can you say something in Finnish just to make me see? :cool:

Well, I'm Norwegian. It's about 90 % similar I guess.
I'm hate grammar, but for instance like when you say "The house" ... you have to put "the" behind "house" and then it is "huset".
I would say it is easier to learn any scandinavian language from english, because they are closely related. But then I have had english in school from I was about 10 years old, so I guess it is easy for me to say.

Are you going to Sweden, or are you planning to learn swedish from your home country?

Going to Scandinavia, for now, is a dream..studying swedish/norwegian/danish could be a possibility at my university..I think grammars are not so compex (after doing 5 years of Latin I can almost judge these things :loco: :lol: ); ah I'm from Italy..

There are people who've lived here 10+ years and still speak and write horrible Finnish.

Ha, there are people who've lived here 26+ years and still mispell one out of every three words at least. It gets on my fucking nerves! Specially since compared to Finnish, Spanish is like kindergarden-easy.

Wouldn't Hungarian help?

Anyway, I once thought I'd be nice to learn Finnish, it took me about three days to give up on that. But at least the pronunciation is easy :D

But at least the pronunciation is easy :D
no way, its unpossible... i cant pronouce the "r" like that at all :p

That reminds me of the poor american students trying to pronouce "r" like in French during my exchange year, when i was trying to teach them some French.

What's 'vita' (or something similar) or whatever word it comes from? For instance, what does 'vitahuset' mean? "House of ____"?

(Det) Vita huset means (the) White House. I live in Sweden but I´m really not that much into languages and especially grammar. I´d be glad to help with any translations or questions though :) . Swedish pronounciation seems to be a problem for many people trying to learn the language, as we apparently have a truckload of different vowel sounds compared to most languages.

Nope :)
Previous versions of Hungarian split of off the Finno-Ugric family earlier than for example the Germanic language "tree" started to diversify. So Hungarian helps you as much in learning Finnish as German helps you in learning Icelandic :D

Swedish was a help for me when learning German and I can sort of understand bits of Icelandic, so it&#180;s got to be a little helpful :) :rolleyes: (german <--> Icelandic, that is).

Edit:BTW, anyone here who knows which language the words "Nass Juffens" come from and what it might mean? I have totally no idea, it might even be totall rubbish, but I would really like to find out!

For Hungarian, Fireangel is correct, but the comparison is probably even worse than German - Icelandic. I recall there are less than 10 words that are about the same in Finnish and Hungarian, and the grammar is vastly different.

About pronounciation, the only easy thing in Finnish language is that every letter is always pronounced the same way. Thus, once you learn to pronounce each of them correctly, you always know how to read every word. The only exception is the "ng/nk" combination, which doesn't follow the way the letters n+g or n+k would be read individually.

Can you say something in Finnish just to make me see? :cool:

Ehm, how about you give me some random sentence (in English) and I translate it into Finnish? Because to "say something" requires some imagination I currently lack. Then again...

Voitko sanoa jotain suomeksi saadaksesi minut näkemään is a bit clumsy translation of what you said above. There:

Voitko
= Can you, conjugated from the verb voida = to be able (the pronoun "you" would be sinä, but it is usually omitted in these kind of sentences)

sanoa = say

jotain = something, in this case conjugated from the basic form jokin (or joku)

suomeksi = in Finnish, conjugated from suomi = Finnish language (no capitalization); Suomi = Finland

saadaksesi = to make, conjugated from the verb saada = to make someone do something (also "to get" in another concept)

minut = me, conjugated from minä = I

näkemään = see, conjugated from the verb nähdä = to see

I couldn't get the Finnish equivalent of just (=vain) to fit in the sentence without making it sound stupid (placing it there would make it read like "...to make only me see").

You might've got the point already, but this was actually a bit of fun, so feel free to throw another sentence at me and I'll try my best breaking it down like this.

-Villain

Finnish is grand.

@Dark Silence: Well I didn't have much trouble with that "r", I rather found &#228; and &#246; to be a little strange, but pronunceable after all.

@Fireangel and Villain: I didn't know Hungarian split off of the Finno-Ugric family that early, it is nice to know.

Edit: I have never been interested in learning French, Italian or Portuguese because I consider those to be too close to Spanish :p

I actually could understand that without looking it up anywhere! But I'd say that the mutually-intelligibleness only helps you with the very basics, sometimes not even that.

Don't you worry, Spanish and Italian grammars are almost identical. A few verb conjugations and a few pronouns we don't have in our language (or we don't use much) are the most troublesome things you'll find in there, but it's no biggie.

The main problem I have with it is vocabulary. But that's because I'm too lazy to read and practice it.

(Det) Vita huset means (the) White House. I live in Sweden but I´m really not that much into languages and especially grammar. I´d be glad to help with any translations or questions though :) . Swedish pronounciation seems to be a problem for many people trying to learn the language, as we apparently have a truckload of different vowel sounds compared to most languages.
Thanks for that. :)

Does "stark femma" mean anything? Is it even swedish?