The truth about Dragonforce

nataservant

Lord of Mediocraty
Jul 8, 2003
Florida
Visit site
How many people actually like and respect this band? I for one am not too fond of them. Just because they can play at "blazing speeds" with a shitty ass tone doesn't make them worthy. All I hear are drums and vocals and half the time those aren't too spectacular. It all seems so emotionless. Am I missing something?

Missing something? No, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

*I* like this band. I first heard them on MP3.COM when their 5 song demo was free to download. I immediately liked them, and thought they brought a fresh sound to power metal. They weren't 100% original, but the speed, harmonies, and tempo changes really stuck with me.

Now, a few albums later, I still like them, but I admit that much of what they do sounds the same. There isn't a lot to distinguish the albums from each other, but that doesn't make me dislike a band. I feel much the same way about Manticora or Sonata Arctica. I would have trouble telling you which song came from which album, but I like what I hear.

Steve in Philly

Hey I agree with ya. I think they are the most overated Metal band out there.

Some people love em, some hate em. Thats how it goes. I give them a ton of credit though to persistant pushing on the internet. They were determined, and scored big, so kudos to them.

I LOVE dragonforce the First cd is my favorite as it has varied degree of speed and overall slower vibe!!!! second cd was also good but as many know the thrid cd was good but felt like I had heard much of it before!!!! Great guys met them several times very nice and easy to talk with very much enjoy being with the fans just all around great guys very funny personable etc!!!!!Plus unlike so many overseas bands they are touring over here ALOT!!! Which for alot of the bands from overseas dont seem to know where North America is anymore!!!!! cough cough Saxon,Helloween,etc!!!!!!

I'm all about Sonic Firestorm. Didn't like the first album cuz there was too much reverb especially on the vocals. Didn't like the recent one cuz it was a bit too forced in the compositions and songwriting. But Sonic Firestorm is definitely their strongest collection of material with plenty of variety and style changes.

You guys can hate Dragonforce all ya want. I still say Pain Of Salvation is undesirable and annoying, and Jorn was the worst vocalist of the show last year.

I don't dislike them. They're clearly solid musicians. That said, I've never been able to get into their music. When I listen to one of their discs, the songs just run together. For the life of me, I have no clue why they've risen to the heights they've risen to. Very strange.

Zod

It was a steady decline in dislike for me. I heard both the Dragonheart demo and their debut album, Valley of the Damned a few years ago, right before the release of Sonic Firestorm. I immediately loved the title track as well as several others on VotD. They had some catchy melodies and good solos.

With the release of the next two successive albums, their songs never progressed and never got any differently--they stuck to the same formula and it just got old.

And then the vanity side of being a metalhead kicked in. The "scene kids" and "hardcore kids" and mainstream metal guys started to only know Dragonforce. I'm like, dude don't you know Helloween or Edguy? They don't; and that angers me.

So as it stands, I'm ambivalent to Dragonforce. Valley of the Damned shall be the only album of theirs I'll own or truly enjoy. I wish that they'd get on a tour with other like bands, then it would be cool to see them live. Now, as they continue to tour with the likes of the metalcore "elite," Ozzfest, and the like I don't think I'll check 'em out...

I like Dragonforce. I've seen them live and I might again if the price is right and they're nearby. I don't think they're anything absolutely amazing, just some dumbed down fun songs. That's not always a bad thing.

I LOVE dragonforce the First cd is my favorite as it has varied degree of speed and overall slower vibe!!!! second cd was also good but as many know the thrid cd was good but felt like I had heard much of it before!!!! Great guys met them several times very nice and easy to talk with very much enjoy being with the fans just all around great guys very funny personable etc!!!!!Plus unlike so many overseas bands they are touring over here ALOT!!! Which for alot of the bands from overseas dont seem to know where North America is anymore!!!!! cough cough Saxon,Helloween,etc!!!!!!

Seriously, what were you doing that you were THAT excited? Copied and pasted, your post had this many '!''s .. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are other ways to end a sentence. :p

Anyway, I've never been huge into DF. I can't say I hate them, but I've always found them bland. A friend of mine introduced me to them a while back (When they were Dragonheart, or something), way before the explosion, and my opinion of them continues to be 'meh.'

Honestly, I don't have an opinion formed either way about this band. I've sampled a few of their tracks, but their sound just doesn't appeal to me at all. I run across their stuff all the time out in stores, but never bought anything of theirs. More power to em' if they do well over here, but I'd much rather see Edguy kick America's ass over Dragon Force. Edguy should be the band crossing over into the mainstream in my opinion. :erk:

Promotion. The masses don't want to work to find new music. They take what is thrust upon them and embrace it - good or bad.

I don't believe this. It's not that people don't WANT to find good music, it's that they don't know WHERE or HOW to look. It was only by chance a friend of mine introduced me to Blind Guardian, and from there, I was introduced to all of the other metal bands I now passionately love.

Remember there has to be a gateway somewhere. Why not let it be Dragonforce. Instead of doing so much hating, shouldn't (i hate to say we) we be embracing the idea?

The truth about Dragonforce is that they're a perfectly good band which will have people who like them and people who don't, but are and will be facing a pretty good backlash now that they're getting more exposure.

Metal bands are in a can't win situation. Most people wish metal got more exposure. Then when a band like Dragonforce that doesn't fit the current MTV cookie cutter mold DOES get exposure, more and more people start coming out to state their dislike of the band to ensure they're not associated with anything that could be called popular.

What I hope is that with their upcoming tour with Killswitch Engage and Chimera (in which Dragonforce really is the oddball), more people use their exposure to Dragonforce to check out more traditional power metal bands.

Dragonforce is a fun band with energetic music and good sing-along choruses. They're not the second coming of Iron Maiden, and will not spawn any new subgenres, but they do just fine at what they like to.

Ken

I don't really hate nor do I love Dragonforce. First time I heard Valley Of The Damned, it did very little to me and since then nothing has changed on their newer CDs. It's just that they're nothing original, all the tricks they do have been done before by bands who have been around for a decade or more in Europe. Why it's just now Dragonforce, the latecomers, who get rewarded for showing it all again to the American kids, beats me. :erk:

-my 2 cents-

Hey NAILZ why not just pay attention to what people write instead of worrying about how many !!!!!!!!! I put in my posts

I'm all about Sonic Firestorm.

Really? I much prefered Valley of the Damned. I thought Sonic Firestorm was lacking in so many ways. I was blown away by Valley and expected so much more from Sonic. When I got the album, I was disappointed. Not that it's a bad album, but not even on par with Valley.

Haven't picked up any of their albums since though. I couldn't handle the disappointment again.

-Metal

Thursday, February 22
Glens Falls Civic Center
4:30pm doors * 5:30pm show * all ages
Channel 103.1 presents....
RED BLACK AND BLUE FESTIVAL
featuring co-headliners
SEVENDUST and KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
with special guests:
DRAGONFORCE
Chimiara * Diecast * Invitro

Tickets $25 adv/$30 day of on sale now at
The Civic Center Box Office 518-798-0202
and all Ticketmaster locations

:headbang: :worship: :headbang: :worship: :kickass: :kickass:

Thursday, February 22
Glens Falls Civic Center
4:30pm doors * 5:30pm show * all ages
Channel 103.1 presents....
RED BLACK AND BLUE FESTIVAL
featuring co-headliners
SEVENDUST and KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
with special guests:
DRAGONFORCE
Chimiara * Diecast * Invitro

Tickets $25 adv/$30 day of on sale now at
The Civic Center Box Office 518-798-0202
and all Ticketmaster locations

:headbang: :worship: :headbang: :worship: :kickass: :kickass:

Glens Falls Civic Center? Wow that place was my 1st concert experience ever! KISS in 1983 Creatures Of The Night tour!

Miss that area! (Saratoga, Queensbury, Glens Falls etc)