The UK / Benulux Tour Spring 2009 - Post Your Pictures, Videos and Reviews Here

Cool shots Bupu!

What was the sound like at Mr. Kyps?

I've only been there once before ( for A.C.T ) and I remember being most impressed.

Just back from London - so here's two gig stories

The Peel (quick version) - WOW! :OMG:

The Peel (slow version)

We left Scotland about 1720 on the Friday and were having a beer in York by 2010 - an unbelievably good run so probably could have made Rotherham:( A shame to hear the low numbers but Rich and DW both thought it was a good gig.

But on to the main event (for me)

Got to Kingston stupidly early due to personal paranoia about being late so decided to find the venue and get a drink nearby. As we were closing in an all in black Richard West appeared walking along the street. After introducing him to my wife, Liz, the conversation went something like

RW Do you know what road this is?
JH Cambridge Road
RW My sister's lost - do you know the road number?
JH No but I've got a map you can have
RW Great - you can always trust someone in a Threshold T-shirt!
JH Do you know where we can get a drink near here?
RW Well the venue is a pub so you could try there. This side is shut for now but the other side is open. (pause) It's a strip club!

So evidently you can get useful directions from someone in a Threshold top, but not from someone dressed in black.

Having found a (slightly) more solubrious pub (Bricklayers Arms - bit rough looking but nice turfed back garden!) we then returned to a now much busier Peel.

Once in we made our way right to the front, right in front of the monitor where Karl would be later (close enough that he nearly had my eye out during a solo). The venue soon began to fill with a large number in for both bands and a pleasingly high number of Threshold shirts on show.

Kyrbgrinder were excellent - my third attempt at seeing them (missed them at Rotherham 07, and Edinburgh last year) although I would have liked Johannes mic to be up a bit. The guitarist blurred, the bassist had fun and JJ was awesome - effectively "lead drums" at times, lots of laughs and a great moment when his headband slipped and ended up like a Pirate Patch.

But then, at last, Threshold. Having waited 17 odd years for my first modern era Threshold gig, I only had to wait another 18 months this time. The band appeared from the crowd - all tightly squeezed in to this small venue - and took the stage. Johannes drums had been moved back (all of four feet, such was the size of the stage!) and I now found Karl about 6 inches from my nose (if you were there, I was to the right of Russian man who didn't know the words to Pilot!)

The set list was the slightly abbreviated version that has just played elsewhere and everything was spot on. Johannes energy was amazing, especially as he had just played a set. The arrangements, keys and guitars were all great and Damian was lively, disappearing into the crowd a number of times. They didn't rest for a minute and all took their turn at getting the crowd involved. Even Steve was mouthing some words so maybe he will step up to a mic next time.

Every band member, both as an individual and as a unit, made it look like they had been playing together for many, many years. It was great to see just how much genuine fun they were all having. For those that were there you will know exactly what I mean and I guess the vast proportion of readers will have seen this in action too.

They also had plenty of time after the gig, as ever. Damian either kissed everyone he met or handed them a flyer for DWB (I just got the flyer, my wife got the kiss!), and the others fielded the numerous picture and autograph hunters with not just patience but sincere interest.

And then, alas, time to go and leave the luminous pint glasses and last lingering fans behind.

Liz arrived with an indifferent opinion to Threshold - as we travelled home on the last bus she asked "When are they playing again?" - enough said!

Rob - fantastic pics. A really good mixture.

Terri - didn't notice you but it was little tight in there and my attention was elsewhere! Which pic are you in? I'm in front of Karls spot, and in a few have my foot up on a small step. But then I looked nothing like that 20 years ago (although the jacket, which I'm wearing in the Kyrbgrinder ones, is the same one!!!)

Anyone else got any reflections of the gigs to share???? I'd love to hear more about the ones i wasn't at and also to hear a different perspective on The Peel

Bupu, your pictures look very familiar. Haven't I seen those on Facebook under another name ;-) They're great, thank you for sharing them, xx Astrid
Oh and BDTM, I love your review and especially your conversation with Rich :)

Great review BDTM and thanks for commenting on the variety of the photos.

I was pretty much stuck in one place all evening which makes it rather difficult to get a good mixture. Thankfully Karl came over my side a few times so I was able to get him. Unfortunately I mostly missed RW and JJ was awkward as well as he was effectively behind the speaker stack from where I was standing but I more than made up for shots of him with Kyrbgrinder.

Prog gigs at the Peel can be rammed or empty and everything in between. I photographed Blind Ego there the week before and I had no trouble getting across the front of the stage.

I would classify the Threshold gig as an 8/10. Nightmare prog gigs for photos have been Pengragon and It Bites which were packed shoulder to shoulder back to the mixing desk.

Anyway, anyone got any info on the Mr. Kyps gig?

Okay, now I've calmed down a bit, here's some slightly more coherent chat about the Rotherham show.

So, I arrived at Montgomery Hall just after 6pm, could hear JJ's drumming from halfway down the road. Was rather suprised to be met at the door by DW dishing out flyers for his other band and, as BDTM said, kisses! Quickly berated him for not bringing his band up North at all, then headed in, determined to finally catch some Kyrbgrinder.

So were they worth the wait? Oh definately. There was hardly anybody in the place, only about half a dozen stood up, which must be pretty rubbish for Johanne and co. Hence quote of the evening: "Come to the front! There aren't many black people here so we won't eat you! Not on a Friday anyway - Saturday is eat white people day!" Still, I was sufficiently impressed to buy the CD afterwards.

Then we had a local band called Beckonsale (probably spelled that wrong!). They seemed terribly young - I must be getting old - but pretty competent. The shouty vocal style was a bit much for me so I wondered into the foyer and harrassed Rich for a while whilst he sold me Threshold merchandise...

Then we had Crimes of Passion - some of you must know these guys, basic no nonsense rock music, just what I needed whilst starting to feel pleasantly relaxed from drinking Wentworth's ale...

The next band was Haze, who I hadn't even heard of before. Maaaan! Where have this band been all my life? This was proper old fashioned prog with shades of Jethro Tull and Jon Heisman's Colosseum. They also seem to have the world's happiest bass player.

I then staked out my spot at the front for the main event. Got chatting to a couple of guys who had been playing some cool air guitar - got roped in as air bassist. (You guys on this board??) Unfortunately couldn't find a singer until DW breezed past with a brew and agreed to take the gig. Probably won't hold him to that. I did think the crowd seemed a little sparse at that point, but then got utterly distracted.

Then RW comes on and kicks off the intro music, heavy metal salutes all round, on comes the rest of the band and straight into Slipstream. No one seemed to be doing the growls so I screamed "Do you really think so?!" at the top of my lungs instead. Now I'll be honest, the whole thing becomes a bit of a blur at that that point as far as individual songs are concerned - the whole thing was totally rocking and I may have gone a bit mad jumping about and singing. I do remember trying to conduct Steve at one point, which he seemed to find amusing, and Damian getting apparently endless cups of apparently excellent tea delivered from the bar. I mentioned "Days of Dearth" and "Exposed" in my less coherent post on Saturday, I think "This is your Life" was rather good as well.

When it was all over and I had been presented with a copy of the setlist I couldn’t quite be bothered to hike back to the hotel so hung around for another half hour or so and gave Karl a whole lecture about bringing Threshold to Manchester next time round. What a superlatively nice patient chap he is(!) – although he also claimed it’s nothing to do with him and I should ask Rich.

Went back to the Sandygate and failed to eat breakfast again.

As no one seems to have any decent photos of this gig, I will post a couple of my crummy ones later just for the record...

Cool shots Bupu!

What was the sound like at Mr. Kyps?

I've only been there once before ( for A.C.T ) and I remember being most impressed.

The sound was great! very loud, Mr Kyps is an amazing place for live acts, the acoustics of the room are fab! :) although afterwards I was finding it hard to hear certain frequencies :lol:

And Astrid, I knew you would catch me out! hahaha! :p xx

Awesome reviews BDTM and Gilbo :D Wish I was as gifted a writer (or less of a drinker at gigs so I'd actually remember more :p) so I could give it a shot for the Zaandam gig :p

Thanks for another awesome gig. As always it was a class above anyone else. It was great you played some tracks off Hypothetical and "Part of the chaos" again (it was played at Summers End). Also, my young teenage daughters were even more taken by the charismatic Mr Wilson. One of them was his official water bottle and microphone holder.

I was also absolutely blown away by Krybgrinder. What a performance that was! Reminded me of an early Moterhead, Pat travers or Robin Trower, gig. Anyway, we are all enjoying the album.

Give it a shot anyway - it's your recollection of the night and there's plenty of people here that would like to read it, just like we all want to see your pictures. I personally don't take ics at gigs as that wouldn't leave a hand free to hold a pint!

It doesn't need to be long if you don't want it to be - just personal!!!

Great to hear another person had sush a great time

There's a lot more chat about the recent gigs in the sticky section - yours will probably get modded there - and some excellent pics from the Peel by Rob Brooks (I don't know why I keep wanting to call him Rob Parsons)

You must have had the same lucky perspective I had - amazing to be up so close to any band, but particularly one you quite like!

And you are clearly a most excellent parent. :headbang:

RW Do you know what road this is?
JH Cambridge Road
RW My sister's lost - do you know the road number?
JH No but I've got a map you can have
RW Great - you can always trust someone in a Threshold T-shirt!
JH Do you know where we can get a drink near here?
RW Well the venue is a pub so you could try there. This side is shut for now but the other side is open. (pause) It's a strip club!

So evidently you can get useful directions from someone in a Threshold top, but not from someone dressed in black.

:lol:

Rob - fantastic pics. A really good mixture.

Terri - didn't notice you but it was little tight in there and my attention was elsewhere! Which pic are you in? I'm in front of Karls spot, and in a few have my foot up on a small step. But then I looked nothing like that 20 years ago (although the jacket, which I'm wearing in the Kyrbgrinder ones, is the same one!!!)

Anyone else got any reflections of the gigs to share???? I'd love to hear more about the ones i wasn't at and also to hear a different perspective on The Peel

Yes, fantastic pics Rob.

BDTM - I'm in the second pic where Pete has his foot on the monitor. I'm in the bottom right hand corner.
From the pics, are you the guy with the short hair and beard? If so, I did notice you but had no idea it was you :mad:
It was a brilliant night. I haven't seen Threshold play since Jay was drumming with them and the singer was a little fella with long wavy hair. They're so much better now and I agree, it's great to see the guys having fun onstage. It was great to chat briefly with Steve and his sister and Karl after the gig. Just wish we'd been able to hang around and chat longer. Maybe we'll have the chance to do it again soon :)

My two sons (21 and 18) both really enjoyed the gig too. They were a little awestruck by Karl as they are both fans of Dragonforce. Now they are also Threshold fans :)

Yes you got the right one - I'm in the same pic as you, at the other end, looking as if I'm about to join the stage. It's so difficult to resist putting your foot on a step if there's one in front of you!!!

And these days that's me with long hair!

I know what you mean about the step. I had the same thing with the monitor in front of me. I kept resting my hand on it. I had to judge when Pete and Damian were going to rest a boot there and move it quickly a few times so that my hand wasn't stomped on.
I'm not used to being right at the front at a gig. Usually I get too annoyed with people pushing and shoving at the front and I get claustrophobic if it's too crushed, but there was none of that at The Peel and I loved it. Also didn't realise quite how close we would be to the band at the front. I must say that I had to avert my eyes (well, just a bit) when Damian was standing with his foot on the monitor in front off me. What with those tight trousers and all :oops: lol.