The (Un)official write anything you want page

there are also people who graduate with bullshit degrees from NYU for example with $100K on their head day out of school.

Those are kids who are already rich because of their parents. They just get hooked-up through their connections. Fuck them. It's the Yankee equivalent of the good ol' boy network

I'll make around that when I graduate with a PhD.... :zombie:

the thing is when you make $100K and you are single you take home maybe $65K ... live in a place like NYC and you can blow $25K on rent alone (more on mortgage) ... partying like a rockstar etc, etc. ... and you don't have much left for repaying the loan. best case scenario 5 years.

i didn't realize peeps bought houses/apartments on loans in Europe. thought everyone lived and took over the old family home. :loco:

but seriously, how's that loan thing working out for you guys there when buying a home.

interact with a shitload of people daily for work in Europe and don't know one that purchased a home that way.

thought everyone lived and took over the old family home. :loco:

:tickled::tickled: Aurel, aside from the kids (who don't do it on purpose) you are the only comic relief in my otherwise boring existence. If I had more money, I'd hire you to quip one-liners and non-sequiturs on command.

hmm ... you're probably the only one that thinks I am funny.
in Romania (and especially Hungary) this kind of nonsense is part of every other sentence. probably that's why neither country ever got too far.

there are also people who graduate with bullshit degrees from NYU for example with $100K on their head day out of school.

I can earn $100k a year if I go and work in the mines. As a boilermaker. Fuck your PhD.

On the other hand, I'm seriously considering going to Uni and doing a Bachelor of Arts, to be followed by a Master of Teaching. At least 6 years and $50,000 worth of schooling. This is what I wanted to do straight out of school but I went overseas instead. Not sure that I'd be able to exit the workforce, with such a change in lifestyle, income and responsibility, though. I have alcohol dependance to support.

i didn't realize peeps bought houses/apartments on loans in Europe. thought everyone lived and took over the old family home. :loco:

but seriously, how's that loan thing working out for you guys there when buying a home.

interact with a shitload of people daily for work in Europe and don't know one that purchased a home that way.

almost literally everyone takes out loans for homes and cars here. people will think i'm stupid and unrealistic just for thinking i could probably save up some of my own money and buy a house with it eventually

the average svensson just doesn't have enough ca$hflow to waltz out and buy a new volvo v70 or house because we need to consume vast amounts of flat screen tv:s and such (usually on payment plans)

Like Erik said, almost everyone loans for cars, homes and education, and way too many people loan for consumer products as well. Universities here are free, but most people take loans for living costs while studying.

Most people don't ever even aim to own their house, which is weird from my point of view - a loan is meant to be paid back and my house is supposed to be mine, even if it will take a fuck ass long time. In practice, they just loan their houses from the bank and are content with that. We all know how clever that is in the long run, eh?

When/if I sell my future house (when kiddies are all grown up and it's too big for two aged hellbangers and a cat) I will make big fuckin bux and not just pay back the loans.

The smartest way to do shit here, at least the latest 10-20 years (and maybe before, dunno), is: buy 1st small shabby apartment in a decent area while in college or whatever. Live there and watch Economy raise the prices. Sell at a huge profit, buy a nicer and bigger apartment. Get a new kitchen, get some nice tiling in the bathroom etc and live there for a few years while working. Sell at an even huger profit and buy a house out here in the wilderness. Live happily ever after.
Of course, this is assuming the Big Crash doesn't hit while in the middle of all that. Up until now with Umeå as the city in question, it's been peachy bananas and it's a shame I didn't do that.

almost literally everyone takes out loans for homes and cars here. people will think i'm stupid and unrealistic just for thinking i could probably save up some of my own money and buy a house with it eventually
this, but I don't think it's stupid at all. Save while you can!

Dear Moron(s),

If we do no answer the door the first time after five minutes, do not ring it again, even though we are yelling at the dogs to shut up and ignoring you. After you leave, DO NOT come back and ring it again. Ring it a third time and see what happens. :)

The smartest way to do shit here, at least the latest 10-20 years (and maybe before, dunno), is: buy 1st small shabby apartment in a decent area while in college or whatever. Live there and watch Economy raise the prices. Sell at a huge profit, buy a nicer and bigger apartment. Get a new kitchen, get some nice tiling in the bathroom etc and live there for a few years while working. Sell at an even huger profit and buy a house out here in the wilderness. Live happily ever after.
Of course, this is assuming the Big Crash doesn't hit while in the middle of all that. Up until now with Umeå as the city in question, it's been peachy bananas and it's a shame I didn't do that.

yeah this is has been the standard here as well ... until it became a vicious cycle and it imploded.

- rewind to 1989 Las Vegas when lurch was out there on a trip and a taxi driver tells my family ... buy a house here, this town is going to explode!!! $150K buys you a nice house.

- he was right and it did

- 10 years later said house could be worth even 3-4X more

- market kept at prices rose as there was more demand (read: hype).

- of course if you were smart and sold said house at 3 times its value AT THE RIGHT TIME you made out like a bandit (but greed most likely made you try the same thing again somewhere else ... buy low, try to sell high)

- 2008 ...same house is now worth MAYBE $40K

EDIT: here's an example
http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...et_Las-Vegas_NV_89156_M29509-96978?source=web

this size house is probably still around $500-600K in NYC

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
THIRTY-EIGHT DOLLARS A SQUARE FOOT

I've read that no city was hit harder by the meltdown than Las Vegas. Perhaps that's the wrong way to put it though...more like: no place was hyped up more than Las Vegas during the (fake) boom years

Miller you HAVE TO check this shit out ... posted it earlier on FB when I got lost in searching for distressed properties on realtor.com

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...a_Miami_FL_33181_M52384-01183?source=facebook

this must have been a gangsters' multi million dollar paradise not that long ago.

we can open some RC related shag pad in there ... surely.

$32 bucks a sq/ft ... we can buy 2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh.
My.
God.

Hey, after three years of ownership, I've become pretty experienced with 1960s construction. I'd whip that place into shape in a couple months.

Check out how every surface that isn't marble was at one point covered by mirrors :puke:

Check out how every surface that isn't marble was at one point covered by mirrors :puke:

hahaha, yeah Bedroom 1 looks like it was a fun room.

l2c40cc42-w9o.jpg