The (Un)official write anything you want page

holy shit ... there is this chick right now in the building across the street from me doing some crazy awesome stripper like dancing in the window.
all i see is her silhouette, but hot damn

if you have some hours to spare read this thread ...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50799

it's about a couple who crossed the Congo 2 years ago in a car, nobody has done it in over 2 decades.
Fascinating read and photos!

a few bits for "some" of you:

"Donnez moi de l'argent" - "Give me money" someone asked

1st time, a second time. The third time he asked I was getting annoyed - understatement of the year ;-). I dropped my shovel and tried to get up. In doing so I bumped my head hard on the front axle (I was under the car in the mud, remember).

*Laughter*

I bit my thong and kept on digging.

"Donnez moi de l'argent"

Josephine asked the mob why they were asking us money

"Vous êtes blanc" - "You are white"

A father approached us with a kid. The kid instantly started crying when he saw us. The father told us the kid had never seen a white person before. A few more kids were brought in to have them see the great mystery of white skin.

no i did read all of it

well i didn't read anyone else's posts but i read the actual thing

Only briefly looking through it so far.

I watched Long Way Down and Long Way Round with Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman not too long ago... reminds me of this kind of thing, though theirs was a documentary with significant backing/support.

Stuff like this is quite fascinating, i'll have to read that thread in more detail when I have a chance.

^I skimmed that book at the store recently. It was cool until I realized they had a total support caravan. They probably received nightly butt massages.

This is making for a good night-time read.

19th page:

We came across a truck that was parked in the middle of the track. Luckily the surrounding area was pretty open, so we could pass it.

Us: "Bonjour, ca va?" - "Hi, how are you?"
- Them: "Ca va un peu bien " - "I am doing a little bit ok" -> typical Congelese answer this!

Us: "Votre vehicle est en panne?" - "Did you truck broke down?"
- Them: "Oui, mais ils vient avec des nouveaux pièces" - "Yes, but they are coming with spare parts"

So we chat a bit and we ask what their problem exactly was. They left Ilebo for Kananga with a load of building materials for a rich guy in Kananga. Their engine had completely seized. Their cargo was transferred onto another truck and they had taken the engine out and transported the engine to Kinshasa to get it rebuild. In the meantime the truck 'crew' stayed onsite to safeguard the truck. But they were very happy as they just received news that the necessary parts for the engine were now ordered in Germany, so the parts would come arrive in Kinshasa in a few weeks time!

A fascinating story, and they told it as if the was the most normal thing in the world. Fair enough. We said our goodbyes and asked them one more final question. How long had they been here?

"Un peu plus qu'un an maintenant" - "Just over a year"

This is making for a good night-time read.

19th page:

yeah i believe they probably misinterpreted the last question as "how long have you been in the country" or something like that because major cultural differences aside, there's no way anyone's going to sit by a broken-down truck for ONE YEAR waiting for spare parts. you could have pushed the motherfucker back home ten times in that time. i believe the "few weeks" part, though

My sisters ex-boyfriend (of about 2 years until a year ago) who was kinda a strange dude but I couldn't quite click how strange finally gave me a good measure of just how strange he is:

http://connect2utah.com/news-story?nxd_id=119606
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...-salt.html.csp

Time to start going through pictures from those years, because I have pictures with a dude who stabbed his own mother to death... AWESOME.

I should also mention that this is the second murderer to have been in my house for an extended time. The first one was the dude who owned, lived in, and rented out the house to us, before he rammed his truck into his wifes SUV, jumped out, then stabbed her with a screwdriver multiple times. Shortly afterwards he killed himself in jail! http://www.insideprison.com/utah-state-prison.asp (first listing under suicides)

Wonder if this all increases or decreases the value of the house...