The Video Game Thread

^ Absolutely. final Fantasy VII is a prime example - amazing story, fuckloads of stuff to do, gant graphics. The FMVs are lovely, but the ingame graphics are pretty shit (even though it may have been considered 'revolutionary' in 1997).

Dragon Valor is another game thats got juicy as shit gameplay and some longevity, and sacrifices graphics for it. The character models look like thei're made out of Duplo blocks, but the games so fucking good that you just don't care. Metal Gear Solid howevr, has good graphics (well, for its time/the Twin Snakes edition does) but its shorter than a gnat's penis.

same with metal gear solid. The graphics weren't brilliant, but it was such a lengthy, fucking brilliant game.

I think the xbox and Ps3 games need to take a step back in technology for their games.

Actually no i just remembered, Lost Odyssey on the 360, Dave you should get a 360 JUST for this game. I've hated most RPGs since FF7, but LO is just.......yep.

Actually no i just remembered, Lost Odyssey on the 360, Dave you should get a 360 JUST for this game. I've hated most RPGs since FF7, but LO is just.......yep.

Great game. Got to the old mansion to find Kaim's wife but got confused and couldn't figure it out. :lol:

Usually if an RPG isn't Chrono Trigger, any FF game before 10, early Dragon Quest or A Link to the Past then I won't touch it. I'll read up on that one though Ol, you've got me interestd...

Journeyman, please bend over and drop your trousers so I can shove this rusty chainsaw up your backside :lol:

Play FFV and FFIX, they're ace. In fact, the only FF game I've never completed is FFII and even that kicked ass for the first 15 hours :lol:

Usually if an RPG isn't Chrono Trigger, any FF game before 10, early Dragon Quest or A Link to the Past then I won't touch it. I'll read up on that one though Ol, you've got me interestd...

To be fair, I think the N64 Zelda games and Twilight Princess (GC version) were pretty damn cool, though ALTTP is probably my favourite. However, you've just reminded me of something else...

http://www.romhacking.net/

People hack old videogame ROMs, change them and post them on this site. Some are pointless things, like changing a characters colors, some are a bit more interesting, like making Noob Saibot, Smoke and Jade playable characters on MKII, but the most awesome one I saw on there by a long way was a Link To The Past hack. The guy who did this basically took all the elements of the game and made an entirely new game out of it. It's about as similar to its original as Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time, except it's not as well programmed, and it's a lot harder! If you read up on the website it'll tell you how to download the hack and use it. If I remember rightly (it was a while ago I did it), you need to download the hack file, download a ROM of the original game, and then download a program called LIPS or something, which combines the two. All the info's on the site, if you look for it. It's good for a laugh, though I never managed to finish it.

Also, for anyone who likes oldskool platformers, try I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game. Possibly the most difficult game in the world! There are videos on youtube if you get stuck. I think I managed to get past like 2 bosses last year. Great for people with a high level of determination and a love for nostalgia (Ol) and a lot of free time to kill (probably not Ol, you've got an album to write boyo!).

nazi zombies is fuckin great fun but is quite hard, i completed the game and then it just dropped me into nazi zombies i had no clue what i was meant to do or what was goin on, and on cod waw i have an obsession for knifing people, the zombies still keep comin even after 2 knife attacks :S

yeah i play nazi zombies on cod w a w. the new zombie map is great an much better than the original. as for rpg's i've never liked japanese style rpg's. morrowind is a great rpg an oblivion even more so. fallout 3 was good too but got a little samey afeter 60 hours or so. been playing guitar hero world tour a lot lately on drums an guitar occassionally

the only rpg's i like are morrowind, oblivion, and fallout 3. anyone play cod WaW nazi zombies is hilarious.

Morrowind is awesome, I've owned the Game of the year edition for two years now, I still haven't beaten it, because I'm so distracted with all of the guild quests, stuff for the Houses (Balmora, Redoran), and just fucking exploring. It's completely revolutionary in my opinion. I don't think I've ever seen a game like Elder Scrolls.

FF10 was the only FF I ever enjoyed.

Fuck FF7. :p

Playing Rock Band 2 atm. :kickass:

I think if you didnt play FF7 at the time it came out, you wont like it that much, or appreciate it as much as it was appreciated back then.

it was so revolutionary and different for europeans that it was awesome. ince then games have advanced so much and overtaken FF7 that it will just seem stupid to the layman.

I take it as a "had to be there" subject.

yeah i dont like japanesey rpg's bethesda all the way for me, i made so many saves on morrowing and never completed lmao theres so much, and yeah fallout gets old when u get max level and cant go no more unless u buy addon.... but yeah on cod now u dnt need to complete for zombies lol its ossim and when you run out of ammo all you can do is stab its impossible ha

I prefer JRPGs over Elder Scrolls and all that stuff but I never manage to finish any of them cept FFX.

I think if you didnt play FF7 at the time it came out, you wont like it that much, or appreciate it as much as it was appreciated back then.

it was so revolutionary and different for europeans that it was awesome. ince then games have advanced so much and overtaken FF7 that it will just seem stupid to the layman.

I'd say more that nowadays the kids want awesome graphics. So you give them FF7 and they won't even touch it haha.

Fair point though I suppose Ol. I remember when FF8 came out and Iwas so fucking excited hahah, man those were the days...

I disagree tbh, I think it's just a taste for the style of game. I was always a Nintendo/Sega kid. I was always a bit pissed off at Sony for ripping off Nintendo (I feel they are still yet to actually come up with an original idea for videogaming, they're still using a fucking SNES joypad) so I never really has a Playstation. I first played FFVII in 2006 and thought it was ace, I just never managed to finish it. Trouble was, I put it down for like a month to concentrate on uni, and when I went back to play it I forgot where I was, where I was supposed to be going and what I was supposed to be doing. I guess these games could do with a kinda "notepad" function.

Or I could just buy a notepad.

but yeah on cod now u dnt need to complete for zombies lol its ossim and when you run out of ammo all you can do is stab its impossible ha

or you buy more ammo, the horror on my face when i realised they dont die by one knife attack! on campaign the knife is my fave weapon im crazy with it
owell im completed the game to unlock it

I just started playing FFVII. Ive never played an FF game before coz I never owned a psx. Im liking it, its a good RPG, the graphics are pretty good for the time, I am talking about the backgrounds here. The characters are vey poorly mad IMO, but that doesnt make it a bad game.