The Video Game Thread

button_layout.jpg

Close, but you've missed it.

The Dreamcast controller was pretty different:
full_dreamcast_controller.gif

They had the analog stick, I think Nintendo's idea, but they came out around the same time, so it's hard to tell. They have the analog buttons on the back, the wire coming out the bottom, a totally different controller shape, and that window so you could see and LCD screen on a memory card, which I always thought was pretty cool. Also, start button but no select button. They have taken the same button names and moved positions and colours though, which is pretty cheap.

Xbox 360 controllers are a direct adaption of Xbox controllers, which weren't that different from Dreamcast...:
benheck_xbox_controller1.jpg

Similar, but they have the two analog sticks. The layout of the analog sticks and D-pad was somewhere between Dreamcast and Playstation. The 360 also has the SNES style shoulder buttons on the back, because it was always a good idea so they reverted. The original Xbox controller also had the black and white buttons, which really should have been in that picture above.

The Playstation however:
Playstation_Controller.jpg

800px-SNES_Controller.jpg

They re-moulded the housing a bit and added 2 shoulder buttons. And to be honest, that was Nintendo anyway. All Sony's done to it in the last 14 years is add 2 alanog sticks.

But... Can you find out why? I'm sure you've already seen a page that will tell you.

So I beat Call of Duty World at War on veteran yesterday......:kickass: The ending is very satisfying. :)

i had a dreamcast i remember powerstone it used to melt my fucking brain. gash.

but yeah old xbox controllers were fucking hard to play, but the 360 ones are perfect for me. NEED PS3 ADAPTION PLEASE. Ol use your wizardry to make me one and ill pay you in shekels and paint by number colouring books.

I was just gonna say the Snes buttons were the wrong colours in that diagram.

must have been from a 3rd party pad, or the later ones.

It's the American pad. For some reason they decided to make it look like some kind of reject.

i had a dreamcast i remember powerstone it used to melt my fucking brain. gash.

but yeah old xbox controllers were fucking hard to play, but the 360 ones are perfect for me. NEED PS3 ADAPTION PLEASE. Ol use your wizardry to make me one and ill pay you in shekels and paint by number colouring books.

There's probably a port for that somewhere on the web. I've seen one for Wii controllers to control an Xbox 360, it actually works really well.

Dunno if anyone's ever seen it before but check this out:

If you can't be arsed to listen to it all, skip to about 2:30

Last edited by a moderator:
They were pretty fucking huge though. I never got the hang of the black and white buttons, though I didn't spend much time on the original Xbox.

The PS3 now also has fucking ugly friend boxes that are bigger than the moon.
3.0 is as close to a failure as you can get. :(

Update today? I might aswell download it then. I bought Killzone 2, and so far it rocks. Im looking forward to the multiplayer, classes and stuff looks pretty good.:kickass: