the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Sonata Arctica - "The Harvest

Nice! This is one of my favorite SA songs! I know many SA fans hate it, and I understand why they do. I just love the line "The world's without virginity,
And souls have no integrity". I once asked Tony Kakko what this song is actually about (because it makes little sense to me) and he wouldn't tell me - which is his MO on song meanings.

I'm a new SA fan, I don't even have one of their albums yet. I just went on Grooveshark and picked a few random songs from albums one of my friends recommended.

Nice, welcome to the SA fanbase. I'm pretty much a Sonata Arctica addict (my favorite power metal band - sorry my Theocracy brethren!). If you have any questions about them, I can probably answer :cool:

Nice! This is one of my favorite SA songs! I know many SA fans hate it, and I understand why they do. I just love the line "The world's without virginity,
And souls have no integrity". I once asked Tony Kakko what this song is actually about (because it makes little sense to me) and he wouldn't tell me - which is his MO on song meanings.

Count me in as another fan of this song! It's probably my favorite from Unia, which I think is a great album! I don't understand how many SA fans don't like Unia and/or "The Harvest." To my ears, Unia was a logical progression from Reckoning Night. All SA albums are equally good in my opinion!

I wanna start getting into more Sonata Arctica! Any suggestions for what to start with?

I don't understand how many SA fans don't like Unia and/or "The Harvest." To my ears, Unia was a logical progression from Reckoning Night.

Well, I know Tony was getting bored with Stratovarius-style power metal and wanted to try new things. Reckoning Night was a bit of a departure in a new direction, whereas Unia was a *massive* departure. Fans who only want to hear speedy power metal don't like new SA at all. Their newer albums (Unia and The Days of Grays) have quite a bit of prog in them and a big strand of, well, I don't know what to call it other than experimental :loco:

Most of the old school SA fans I know that hate the new stuff want to hear old school Ecliptica/Silence-era speed power metal. Unia and Days of Grays are definitely a loooong way away from that.

While I love all their stuff, I've actually come to like Unia the best, though it took me kind of a long time grow into it.

I wanna start getting into more Sonata Arctica! Any suggestions for what to start with?

Ryan, it really depends on what style you like. I'll make some suggestions from each era for you.

The first two albums are Ecliptica and Silence. Both are Stratovarius-style straight-ahead fast power metal. In fact, I imagine people called them a Stratovarius clone at first.

FullMoon is one of their most popular songs from that era (half of it is pretty slow, despite my album description):

Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night slowed things down a bit. Both are still power metal, but I think they tried some different things and explored their own sound (rather than the pure Strato sound).

Easily one of the most epic songs you will ever hear is White Pearl, Black Oceans, from Reckoning Night. Don't take my word for it:

"White Pearl, Black Oceans" is :OMG:!

Finally, the last two albums - Unia and The Days of Gray are a mix of power and prog and "Tony experimenting with s#*t" :lol:

One of the strongest songs off of Unia, which should appeal to many (i.e. it's not one of the "weird" songs), is Paid In Full:

That should give you a good start, brother!

Last edited by a moderator:
Symphony X - The Walls of Babylon.

Dali's Dilemma: Within A Stare

I forgot how cool this song is. Some prog metal from 1999.

Dali's Dilemma was pretty cool. Very Awake-period-DT-ish. It's kind of a shame they only released one album. It would have been interesting to see how they developed.