The Whining and Bitching Thread

Tolkien is a writer that is extremely painfully difficult to appreciate, there's no denying that. But with determination and dedication (and a boatload of patience), you will be rewarded with what is easily the most vivid and breathtaking fictional world that has ever been conceived. The fundamental thing to understand about Tolkien (speaking generally, not directly to you) is that he was not a writer, nor was he necessarily a literature buff, but rather a linguist, and his obsessive linguistic drive is what actually led to The Lord of the Rings. The various languages of the people came first before any of the story came together, which I find amazing. He built the landscape, the language, the culture, and everything else first as a foundation upon which he could create a modern, truly British, mythology, and (despite borrowing heavily from other mythologies), I feel that he definitely succeeded. And I agree with him that The Return of the King was a bad title (it was the publishing company's idea, though probably the only battle that they won against him aside from publishing it as a trilogy and not one novel, breaking it up into six different books), because it pretty much gives away what will happen, but obviously it doesn't really matter once you've read it once.

Yes, I watched the Deluxe Edition special features as well.

I've been obsessed with Tolkien since the 5th grade tbh. I'm not a poser like you who saw the movies first (o snap).

j/k omg

But seriously, it was my uncle who set me off on the right foot. My brother and I would sleep over their house every once in a while when we were very young, and he would occasionally tell us stories from The Lord of the Rings before we would go to bed, so this is something I've been reading/researching/analyzing/jerking off to for more than half of my life (obviously not too in depth when I was 10)

Tolkien is a writer that is extremely painfully difficult to appreciate, there's no denying that. But with determination and dedication (and a boatload of patience), you will be rewarded with what is easily the most vivid and breathtaking fictional world that has ever been conceived. The fundamental thing to understand about Tolkien (speaking generally, not directly to you) is that he was not a writer, nor was he necessarily a literature buff, but rather a linguist, and his obsessive linguistic drive is what actually led to The Lord of the Rings. The various languages of the people came first before any of the story came together, which I find amazing. He built the landscape, the language, the culture, and everything else first as a foundation upon which he could create a modern, truly British, mythology, and (despite borrowing heavily from other mythologies), I feel that he definitely succeeded. And I agree with him that The Return of the King was a bad title (it was the publishing company's idea, though probably the only battle that they won against him aside from publishing it as a trilogy and not one novel, breaking it up into six different books), because it pretty much gives away what will happen, but obviously it doesn't really matter once you've read it once.

Great post. My recent literature professor for twentieth century English literature actually talked about Tolkien for a little while during one class. He explained how Tolkien set about to create a mythology for his country and people. It's really a very interesting conception. Also, didn't Tolkien dislike the name of the second book as well?

Nec, I don't know how much you're into more modern fantasy literature, but I've recently read a series that definitely rivals Tolkien in its scope and magnitude. It's called The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. There are definitely some obvious parallels to Tolkien in the story as well. Certain races Bakker created mimic Tolkien's races. For example, there's a race of mindless, swarming creatures that kill for pleasure (actually, in the story, they achieve sexual gratification from killing) called the Sranc; definitely inspired by Orcs. Also, there's an ancient race of beings that lived in the world before the coming of men called Nonmen (called so because the holy book of Men, The Chronicle of the Tusk, condemns them and calls them anathema to Men); definitely inspired by the Eldar. They also live much longer than men, like the Eldar. Anyway, if you ever have some free time, I think you would really appreciate the books. The trilogy has been completed, but there's still much of the story to come. Bakker is going to continue it in the upcoming Aspect-Emperor Trilogy.

I'm just saying that there wasn't a single thing in that paragraph I didn't already know from watching that DVD.

edit: @ Dodens

Tolkien would be a good way to get me into fantasy literature, in that it's based on a complete mythology, as were the works of Homer and Vergil.

It was actually going to be called The War of the Ring, a title that was later used by Christopher Tolkien in his History of the Lord of the Rings series, which I own but haven't read yet. :zombie:

Oh, thanks. TheHistory is interesting but also incredibly boring. The only Chris Tolkien book that I've liked so far was Children of Hurin

My roomate and I played that video at a party. It was a huge hit. I almost puked myself. :cool:
Never understood what was such a big deal about that. It was gross, but didn't affect me at all, yet a lot of people were vomiting and shit.

You should've played pain olympics as well.
That, on the other hand, was fucking disturbing.

That's because you are smarter than Nietzsche (who stole your ideas).
Let us all worship Panzerfaust, who is so smart he does not need to go to school.

I didn't find 2girls1cup disgusting at all, but it was making my mate gag. Then we watched a video of the BME pain olympics and I couldn't watch it, but he was happy to stand there laughing.
I'm cool with people eating shit, but not with people slicing their dicks in half.