The World Trade Center, in New York, was just Kamikazied by airplanes!

this is horrible :(
i came very close to losing my uncle when the first building collapsed, covering him in rubble.
he is ok though, suffered only a broken ankle.
someone running near him was split in half when large pieces of debris smashed down on the ground.
what a horrible experience :(
i'm thankful that he and all my other family members in nyc are safe as well. my heart goes out to all who are suffering losses due to this event.

Jesus that shirt is absolutely disgusting. What is our world coming to? First we have this absolutely devastating event, then there are people making fools of everyone and being complete ass holes by doing things like that.
Oh and to Lina; sorry if I am one of the ones that you were directing that comment to, this is a horrible situation for many of us I believe.

Let me clarify what i said b/c i was angry when i wrote it.

joshy, i didn't mean that islamic fundamentalists bombed us because of people like you (ironically, they'd probably like you a lot). i'm just pointing out that a lot of countries around the world (yes, even our allies) don't have much respect for americans and resent our world presence. so i'm just disappointed that some of the posted responses here only fulfill their stereotypes of americans.

i'm pleasantly surprised at other countries' support and condolences. good to see.

and morningrise, by no means do you have to apologize to me. i'm not the board police -- i was just expressing my view. i know we have all been fired up today.

and why would they like me? becouse i like violence? and you don't? why don't you ask me if i like violence. If you must no i hate it. I think you would be very upset if i said the words you said, to you. I wish you would stop and think of what you said, and don't blame it on your anger, I've been very upset today and when you say something like that to me and the other people on here, it affends me. Just becouse you hate all my post dosn't mean that everything i say is wrong, and that I'm the worst person in the world.

And also, I know I'm an easy target on the message board, becouse most of you all believe different than me. Atleast i don't have to have someone back me up.

What the fuck?
Surreal, scenes from a movie, just too damn bazaar to fathom at this point.
And being from the Boston area, I think you'll need 275 forms of I.D. before they'll even let you through security - 2 hijackings from the same airport. What the fuck?
The tactical precision in which this was pulled off - and it seems to me "they" knew exactly what would happen to those twin towers. That plane into the 2nd tower. The collapse. All on video. What the fuck?
I like G.B.'s speech - and I hope I wake up and see his "powerful" words put into action. At one point watching him speak, I actually thought (even if for a split second) that he would break out into laughter, and say that this was a modern day version of "War of the Worlds". And then the Saturday Night Live crew would break into another skit. But this was real. What the fuck?
We've been so desensitized by movies, media, etc. - how else would crap like that even cross my mind at all? A movie? A dream? What the fuck?

It's honestly all different now. I have no idea what that means yet - it hasn't even been 24 hours. But what will it be like in 5 years, and what will we point to in today's act of war as being the reason for why things are like they are?

Originally posted by SaintJoshy
and why would they like me? becouse i like violence? and you don't?
no, i think they'd like you because you both let your version of God direct your actions and because you seem to hold some rather third-world beliefs (i.e. on the death penalty or creationism).

i wasn't taking back what i said, just clarifying it -- so my anger didn't cloud my judgment. but i'l say again: i don't think you're the worst person in the world, nor did i imply that you caused the bombing. i didn't even come close to saying that, so don't take so much offense.

I really have no idea what to say. It'll take some time for all this to sink in properly.

Not only will we remember the day 11th September 2001, but the future history records will show antique video footage of "Catastrophes of the new Millennium", provided there will be someone left alive after the (world?) war (3?) ceases.

the thing is, a missile defense system would've done nothing to stop this -- in fact, it would take money AWAY from other defense plans that actually could have done some good. but all the ignorant fucks in this country that don't understand cause and effect will be rallying for this, like you say.

actually, it is quiet the opposite so far. People who are against the missile defense system have used every opportunity to say that it would have not helped in a situation like this. Of course, how anyone could compare two different defense systems for two different situations is beyond me. As for the cost, any money spent into the system is just not lost money leaving the country. 100 billion pumped into this would come back as 10-20 billion in tax revenue directly from the companies (depending on how much of a tax cut business ends up with) another 20-30 million in personal taxes paid to people working for those defense companies, and simple influx of money into the economy. I hate it when people try to use the deaths of maybe 10,000 people to push issues they have been caring before the tragedy, be they liberal or conservative. The M-defense system, be it a go or a no-go, has NOTHING to do with this, nor will not having it help stop attacks in the future because of more money for other things..

Ah, what a day. I've been following this thing for 12 hours now, watching bbc world, reading news here and there on the net, talking to people on irc.

I can't say I'm particularly bothered by all the lost lives - thousands of people die every day, though most don't make the news. I can't care about everyone who dies, why should I care about these specifically?

I am bothered though, by the huge amount of completely idiotic reactions I've encountered from u.s people. I've been camping first #accident and then its successor #terrorist-attack on irc.stratics.com which numbered about 400-500 people at peak 5 hours or so after the crashes, and it seems every other person has been shouting "nuke china", "pakistan genocide", "kill the arabs", "bomb the palestinians" or something similiar.

Now, there hasn't been any proof as to who's responsible, though speculation has run wild, and even if there was proof that pointed to a certain group, there is certainly no such group that would place blame on all of either china, pakistan, palestina or arabs in general.

Palestinians dancing in the streets is provokative, yes, but it's no more than is to be expected given the bush administration's highly arrogant foreign policy. Bin laden might very well be behind the attack, but he was the first usual suspect in the oklahoma bombing too, and we all know how that turned out. In urban Detroit, 5 hours ago, people had already been arrested for attacking innocent arabs in the street.

In the face of all these morons shooting their mouths off, I can't help but wish whoever is behind this turns out to be from the u.s.

As for the kids thinking "wow this is cool", well children are cruel. And I suspect it has something to do with being raised on television and hollywood.

The biggest impact on me from this thing is the awe inspired by the meticulous planning and dicipline required to pull something like this off - how someone can bring themselves to crash into a building like that, how a group of so _many_ so diciplined people could be assembled, and simply conceiving such an idea. It's surreal...

...but not really surprising. bush has been Pissing People Off(tm) ever since the elections. A friend of mine said a week before the elections that if bush became president he would make war. Turns out he was right, as usual.

That's it for now... whatever that means.

Originally posted by Lina
no, i think they'd like you because you both let your version of God direct your actions and because you seem to hold some rather third-world beliefs (i.e. on the death penalty or creationism).

I think I might have a bone to pick with you about this later....

Originally posted by Protocol
I can't say I'm particularly bothered by all the lost lives - thousands of people die every day, though most don't make the news. I can't care about everyone who dies, why should I care about these specifically?

I can understand what you are saying, but your lack of sympathy isn't very endearing. What if you had been in the tower, would that help you gain a little empathy?

I'm trying not to let this statement cloud the validity of your other points. I agree with a lot you have to say. I can't but think that making such a bold and callous statement is naught but a call for attention.

Many American's can't come to terms with the idea that their country is one of the most hated countries in the world for various reasons.

Hence the dancing Indians, only their death toll was in the millions.

>I can't but think that making such
>a bold and callous statement is
>naught but a call for attention.

Maybe. Or maybe it's a manifestation of my misanthropy? Maybe I wanted to evoke pathos instead of my usual ethos and logos, or perhaps it's a protest against the sensationalism that dominates contemporary newsmedia? Or maybe *gasp!* it's a deliberate provokation to spark further discussion in this thread? Who knows.... ;P

Yo Protocol, right now I think you are the one I agree with most (I haven't fully read everyone elses posts yet, so yeah)

I agree here. Things like this happen in the Middle East, and other places, all the time. We just don't hear much about it, as they aren't the media capitol that USA is (No offense intended to any American citizens, just the American leadership.). This will most likely become a media-holocaust used to amplify the situation untill boiling point, at which the culprits behind this will be brought to justice. Has anyone thought that the people on the planes could have been solely behind this? It could have been anyone, even cultist groups seeking to make a target out of Osama Bin Laden, using this as the exclamation mark behind his statements of desired action.
No, I'm not saying I believe this, I'm saying this is what COULD have happened. Don't always believe your TV.

I am bothered though, by the huge amount of completely idiotic reactions I've encountered from u.s people. I've been camping first #accident and then its successor #terrorist-attack on irc.stratics.com which numbered about 400-500 people at peak 5 hours or so after the crashes, and it seems every other person has been shouting "nuke china", "pakistan genocide", "kill the arabs", "bomb the palestinians" or something similiar.

Not only in USA, but here (Australia) aswell. All day long, the news, all news-bearing channels, have been talking about it non-stop. At school today it has been the topic of all conversation. In all my time as being a politically opposing anarchist (No that does not mean I make bombs and attack "order" as is seen in this modern world, but instead I oppose the idea of the inequality that we witness in this day. I oppose the idea of my life, along with yours, is exchangable with dollar notes with the man in control pulling the PR strings of this modern nightmare of consumer brainwashing and election speeche's), I have never heard of anyone sticking up for the Palestinians dying from occupation forces, or people in India dying from disease, which could have been prevented if developed countries put the debt they hold off. USA, UK, all the other's, fuck the poor over just to fill their purses. When someone takes a stand, it is always taken worse than anything that is done to them. I'm not saying I support this "terrorist" action that has happened, as I am against violence, but I am saying that the USA government is responsible for worse tragedies, that never reache's our beloved TV screens.

Now, there hasn't been any proof as to who's responsible, though speculation has run wild, and even if there was proof that pointed to a certain group, there is certainly no such group that would place blame on all of either china, pakistan, palestina or arabs in general.

Bloody true...

Palestinians dancing in the streets is provokative, yes, but it's no more than is to be expected given the bush administration's highly arrogant foreign policy. Bin laden might very well be behind the attack, but he was the first usual suspect in the oklahoma bombing too, and we all know how that turned out. In urban Detroit, 5 hours ago, people had already been arrested for attacking innocent arabs in the street.

Dancing in the street does not mean they were celebrating the Hi-jacking and crashing. They could be doing it in an attempt to raise spirits. You never know, and stoning them won't help you find out. It won't help. Ever.

In the face of all these morons shooting their mouths off, I can't help but wish whoever is behind this turns out to be from the u.s.

For all we know it could have been. This give's a "perfect reason" to unite us in a merciless and bloody massacre of the "lawless rabble" that supposedly carried this out.

As for the kids thinking "wow this is cool", well children are cruel. And I suspect it has something to do with being raised on television and hollywood.

The big bang's and flashy explosions excite some, but the ones not crying are showing emotional distance, and are either cruel or are not willing to show the grief for these people that is not shown for the people who live this kind of life every day.

The biggest impact on me from this thing is the awe inspired by the meticulous planning and dicipline required to pull something like this off - how someone can bring themselves to crash into a building like that, how a group of so _many_ so diciplined people could be assembled, and simply conceiving such an idea. It's surreal...

...but not really surprising. bush has been Pissing People Off(tm) ever since the elections. A friend of mine said a week before the elections that if bush became president he would make war. Turns out he was right, as usual.

That's it for now... whatever that means.

He didn't need to start a war. He's already sent hundred's of people to death. He was basically the man who sent people to the maker on death row, before presidency.
Now he's higher in the proverbial food chain, so who know's what he's going to do?

I'm generally disgusted by peoples reactions to this, some on this board, but mostly people at college who are still today really excited and talking about "how cool it was when the plane hit the building". They don't have a fucking clue. I think the number of reactions like that definitely says something about modern society

I forgive the kids in school; they don't know what the fuck they're talking about, and don't yet qualify for "modern society". The ones in college, well, they should know better.

But can we stop the fighting on the board? The last thing i want to see is more disputes, either on TV or on this board.

Hey lina, wake up!!! When some dirty middle east indian flies planes into buildings and kills thousands of people in MY FUCKING COUNTRY, and theres middle eastern dirtbags DANCING IN THE FUCKING STREEET, IN AMERICA, MY COUNTRY, i feel i have the right to call them whatever names i want!!!! Beucas they're fucking dirtbags! Do you disagree with me or something? You think i should be feeling good towards people that are celebrating mass murder ?

Originally posted by Protocol

I am bothered though, by the huge amount of completely idiotic reactions I've encountered from u.s people.

Palestinians dancing in the streets is provokative, yes, but it's no more than is to be expected given the bush administration's highly arrogant foreign policy.

It's surreal...

...but not really surprising. bush has been Pissing People Off(tm) ever since the elections.

This is what is wrong with the world in general - we've all been de-sensitized. Sorry Protocol - I hear what you're saying, and it sounds like a lot of other crap I hear.

Call it what it is - a senseless act of mass murder. Why is it always about who deserves it, had it coming, etc etc? Truely innocent people were killed, caught in the crossfire of a global sentiment that's been brewing. It's horrible - plain and simple.