The worst dog in your collection?

I don't understand why everyone likes Soul of a New Machine. Its lame. What's there that can't be had better anywhere else? Plus, Burton's vocals on that are pretty awful; his attempts at death growling are laughable.

and Stratovarius Elements Pt 1. I quite like it. I admit there's a lot of pointless filler there....some of the longer tracks like Papillion just make you think 'uummm....WHY?? god...WHY??' but there's still some awesome tracks mixed in there. Enough to make it an ok album anyway in my eyes.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
Hecate Enthroned-Dark Requiems... i used to think it was pretty cool but i dont know about now, its not b/c of the simialr CoF sound either since HE are much more talented...er they were until Kings Of Chaos

DOH! I fucking love that album! Upon The Kingdom Throne and The Pagan Sword Of Legend...great stuff! I hadn't listened to Kings Of Chaos for a while and revisited it recently and thought it was pretty good. I loved their cover of Venom's Buried Alive on Miasma too.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
anyway i usually destroy my horrible cds

Yeah, wrecking cds is cool. I bought a Darkthrone cd once that turned out to contain an REM(!) disc. Didn't keep the receit either, so I couldn't change the bloody thing. Crushed it in my hand(and would have blinded myself if I hadn't been wearing glasses... one of them shards went *PING* on my specs :zombie: ).

Gory Elephant said:
OK, OK, I know it is useless to argue about musical taste, but WHAT??????????

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger???? One of the worst of your collection???

can't breathe....seeing stars....head spinning.....slowly losing conciousnea;lk;ns jlfnajfkbm,x.,...ask[nnnnnnnnnnoo
Well all the songs on it are extremely simple and repetitive, not to mention horrid production. I like all of Darkthrone's other CDs though.

So, you like Scenes from a Memory Disciple of Plato- may I ask why? Its obvious the band was tryin to make its masturbtory wankery cohesive with the concept and all, but I think their attmepts made it into an even more pretentious, and pompous( if I can use the words of the day on this site) album. To me there is no song structure- but for the acoustic songs. The other songs are both too long, filled with very long and pointless solos. The music is just all over the place- and accomplishes nothing, but to show each members ( except for the horrible Labries voice) prowess at their respective instruments. It is clear the band wants you to heatr how good they are, its like having a curtain call for every fucking song- musicians that are sure of themselves and their talents do not need to show off so much. WHy not just make a instrumental album I say- and go all out with their wankery? At least Images and Words attempts to make music.

Iron Maiden's Virtual XI without hesitation. It sounds like Meatloaf singing over Grim Reaper after they have all agreed to be lobotamized .

Thank God Dance of Death and Brave New World have restored Maiden's credibility.

Life Sucks said:
Well all the songs on it are extremely simple and repetitive, not to mention horrid production. I like all of Darkthrone's other CDs though.

Heh! These are precisely the reasons why it appeals to me!!

Production I can take or leave, but simplicity and repetition often makes the best metal.

I usually sell the CDs I don't listen to, but these are borderline:

The Haunted - One Kill Wonder
Nightingale - The Breathing Shadow
SYL - Heavy as a Real Heavy Thing

the bigest pile of shit ever created... i actually think, this cd used to be REAL shit.

YAKUZA - Way of the dead...

Bad production
the vocalist sounds like if were beeing fuck by the evil dildo of DOOM
The guitarrs sounds all the same... through all the album..

JUST PLAIN SHIIIIT

I don't think I've ever paid for an album that I later thought 'My god, what was I doing?', but I've had some shitty ones come through for review...

Timo Tolkki - Hymn To Life : horrible, cheesy, cringeworthy melodious metal/hard rock that constantly sounds like a cross between The Scorpions' 'Winds Of Change' and Europe's 'The Final Countdown'.

Sisthema - The Fourth Discontinuity : Sounds like something Fear Factory and Meshuggah might jam out together. If you force-fed them enough LSD to kill an elephant and then broke all their fingers first.

Opus Atlantica - S/T : I've just reviewed this one today, actually, so you can check out what I thought of it on the reviews page.

So, you like Scenes from a Memory Disciple of Plato- may I ask why? Its obvious the band was tryin to make its masturbtory wankery cohesive with the concept and all, but I think their attmepts made it into an even more pretentious, and pompous( if I can use the words of the day on this site) album. To me there is no song structure- but for the acoustic songs. The other songs are both too long, filled with very long and pointless solos. The music is just all over the place- and accomplishes nothing, but to show each members ( except for the horrible Labries voice) prowess at their respective instruments. It is clear the band wants you to heatr how good they are, its like having a curtain call for every fucking song- musicians that are sure of themselves and their talents do not need to show off so much. WHy not just make a instrumental album I say- and go all out with their wankery? At least Images and Words attempts to make music.

First off, although that word of the day thing was qute comical, I think I speak for the majority of level-headed people here when I say, LEARN A NEW WORD!!

So now that we've got that out of the way...Speed, it seems we each just have a difference in opinion, however, I think it's a little wrong to call Dream Theater a "wanking" band. Sure, they can be a little self-indulgent at times, but it never gets to the point where all they're doing is showing off. Listen to "Scenes" again and you'll notice that all of the "pointless solos" you referred to fit in very well with the music and the concept they're attempting to portray. Seriously, if you really want to hear someone show off, go listen to a Malmsteen album, but if you hope to find powerful musicianship and excellent musical-prowess, I'd say any Dream Theater album would be a good bet. What songs and solos did you find that were too long? Also, what exactly do you mean by "song-structure"? If you mean that the album has no "basic" song-structure, I think that was intended, but I also think it works perfectly. If you now anything about DT, you'd know that they're not a simplistic "Intro Riff/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus" band, and you wouldn't have been so surprised with the album's lack of mundane structure. And one more thing, if you're not used to Labrie's sometimes-overly-falsetto vocals, I can understand that. I personally love his voice, but I don't know, I'm pretty impressionable when it comes to tons of vocal range, and I've known plenty of people who disagree with me...

Scenes, for some reason is my least favorite album by DT. It has the 'wanking' as you call it, but that's not what I dislike. It's, well...the album flows like one big song, and that's great. Musical ideas come back over and over again, but the melodies aren't catchy to begin with. It's like making someone eat globs of spinach for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Opposed to pizza. The latter works because it tastes good. The melodies keep coming, but they're not good ones.

And if I hear the word Victoria one more time, I will shoot myself.

Life Sucks said:

That is the beauty of the album, raw, dark atmosphere.. Darkthrone were on the top of their game when they wrote En As I Dype Skogen..Or Skald Av Satans Sol.. A true masterpiece in my eyes.

Helheim - Jormundgand - You thought you've heard bad vocals before? Well you ain't heard nothin' yet.