Themed Mixtape Game

I'm thinking the same thing, get it started earlier and it might help people to finalize their 2019 lists faster than what happened with the 2018 one. I might actually start it soon and give each round more time to be rated, that way by the time it ends it will be about where it would have been if I had started the game a month or two from now anyway. I'll do 3 rounds again, also.

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. The sooner the better.

Depending on how popular it is, you could also possibly extend it to more than 3 rounds so we hear an even wider selection of 2019 stuff we may not have heard.

And here we are:

The Cover Playlist
Mekong Delta – Interludium (Begging for Mercy) (Cover of theme for Psycho)
Reverend Bizarre – Dark Sorceress (Barathrum Cover)
Nucleus – The Siege (Timeghoul Cover)
Death – Painkiller (Judas Priest Cover)
Excoriate – Mayhem (Sepultura Cover)
Ares Kingdom – Tooth and Nail (Dokken Cover)
Vargrav – Ancient Queen (Emperor Cover)
Cloud Rat – The Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young Cover)
Visigoth – Necropolis (Manilla Road Cover)

I definitely took into account how it sounds in comparison to the original. If I felt it was less good the rating might be lower than what I'd normally rate it as an individual song in this game if that makes sense.

1. Mekong Delta - Interludium: Wow this is really cool. Awesome way to start this playlist actually. I really need to listen to this band more. 7/10

2. Reverend Bizarre - Dark Sorceress: One of the few traditional covers of extreme metal songs that's done well, imo. Barathrum is a good band... Well, their first album, Hailstorm, is a little murky, but the other 3 rule. I haven't gone past Legions of Perkelee because wasn't really feeling some of their later stuff. But Reverend Bizarre definitely does this justice. 8/10

3. Nucleus - The Siege: Okay, I fucking love Timeghoul. Awesome and technical take on this song. I do like the sound/tone Timeghoul uses a bit more. My only qualm is that maybe they don't allow this song to breathe as much as Timeghoul does, if that makes sense; however, Timeghoul's openness of it adds to the atmosphere. Ha, I was wondering how they'd do those creepy ass vocals. I like this a lot and maybe since it's my first time hearing this cover my brain is trying to listen for everything and not quite catching it all. 7/10

4. Death - Painkiller: OK, this one is a tad bit obvious. At every metal bar or show you'll hear this at least once. It's a great cover, but I do think Judas Priest did this a bit better. The music on this is on-par (actually it might be tighter than Priest's or faster) but Rob's vocals on this is better. I like this song but I'm taking two points because I've literally heard this a thousand times. 6/10

5. Excoriate - Mayhem: This is a goddamn banger. Replayed 1:09- 1:26 because that was some nasty shit. Comes back at 2:36 with the solo! This might be my favorite track on this mixtape so far. I can say I like this version better than Sepultura's. It's just more.... gritty, and Sepultura's version was already gritty so that's saying a lot. I think they were able to get a punchier sound especially in those portions I pointed out. Honestly, I need this album. Sepulchral Voice was really the shit in the late 2000s (even though I admittedly found them way after). I need this album it's really one of the best pure death metal albums since the 90s and I literally just remembered I like this band. I believe the members went on to form Venenum and I have the album Trance of Death, which is awesome. 10/10

6. Ares Kingdom - Tooth and Nail: Haha, this is a fun cover. I've never listened to their cover album, so this was a cool surprise. Dokken is so much fun and I frankly do think their version of this is perfect and hard to top. The solo is great here, but Dokken nailed the feeling and vocals so for something like this I do like their light approach more. 6/10

7. Vargrav - Ancient Queen: Whoa. That got BM real quick! Unlike a lot of you nerds, I still love BM and really love Vargrav especially as a newer BM band. This is a great cover, and I really like this album in general. 8/10

8. Cloud Rat - The Needle and the Damage Done: I don't really know much Neil Young except what I was exposed to from this site actually. I really don't know how to feel about this. Let me put this on hold and actually listen to Neil Young's version before I judge. Um... Listening to the original one. I actually like the original one more he has a nice voice, so pretty much even more confused now. Kudos for originality though. 4/10

9. Visigoth - Necropolis: I got to admit. Visigoth is one band I've been trying to listen to, but their songs are typically so long for the amount of quality in them. Everyone seems to love them, and I just.... my ADHD immediately acts up when I put them on. This song is good, but imo, doesn't even come close to Manilla Road's version. Manilla Road's version is older, yet punchier and just more engaging and fun. Also, they didn't seem to put their own twist in it. To me it seems they played Manilla Road's version but less good. 5/10

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
I actually didn’t know members of Excoriate went on to Venenum. Apparently it’s just the guitarist. Shame the vocalist never went on to another band according to M-A - he’s got some nasty 80s style harsh vocals.

No notes, I was doing more shit than usual while listening:

Mekong Delta – Interludium (Begging for Mercy) (Cover of theme for Psycho) 5.5/10
Reverend Bizarre – Dark Sorceress (Barathrum Cover) 9.5/10
Nucleus – The Siege (Timeghoul Cover) 8.5/10
Death – Painkiller (Judas Priest Cover) 8/10
Excoriate – Mayhem (Sepultura Cover) 7.5/10
Ares Kingdom – Tooth and Nail (Dokken Cover) 7/10
Vargrav – Ancient Queen (Emperor Cover) 7/10
Cloud Rat – The Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young Cover) 4/10
Visigoth – Necropolis (Manilla Road Cover) 5/10

PS: Cloud Rat suck balls.

Well I have no life and finally bought Excel for home a few weeks ago. Was a winner ever determined for this cover songs round? Anyone recall?

lmao I think it's been dead awhile. I take it then this didn't continue in a new thread or something.