there doesn't appear to be an all-purpose Neurosis thread

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
so i'm making one.

this is a weird band for me, in terms of my love development. i saw them live in '96 (Ozzfuck) and thought they were pretty crap, but at the same time thought "okay well i think someday i might enjoy this, dunno why." so about 8 years later picked up Through Silver in Blood. liked it, but didn't love it. figured it was just about ready for terminal shelving at around the same time i discovered Swans. well that totally rocked my world, and continues to do so today. so i picked up Neurosis and Jarboe. alright! i can see what the big deal is now, this is some good shit! but was it good for Jarboe, or was it good for them? Opeth17 traded me The Eye of Every Storm (for Cruud i think :tickled: ). okay WOW that is some amazing shit! these days i don't often make it through an entire album by a new-to-me group, let alone throw it on repeat immediately after it finishes. now 2 years after picking it up, Through Silver in Blood completely ruins my shit, that album is pretty damn amazing (especially toward the end). and now i'm listening to A Sun that Never Sets for the first time right now, and while i'm not really paying attention to it, this is some good shit! i'm dancin, i'm groovin, i'm feelin it. this band totally fucking rocks and i'm glad i finally realized it.

umm, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

ummm also like, as i discover more and more about this band, i continue to draw parallels to Meshuggah. i'm not really sure if that's apt on a direct musical comparison level, but there is a bit of a gut instinct where i get the same sort of vibe from both parties. sort of a "we're just some heavy band and this is what we do" type thing, where neither is concerned about convention, critics, or other superfluous entities. of course i think the obvious part is that both bands are pushing boundaries where others dare not tread, or maybe i'm insane, per usual.

I like Eye of Every Storm, a lot, the rest are fairly good, but I'm rarely in the mood for them lately.

On an unrelated note, the new Bolt Thrower ownz.

i'm just starting to (ever so slowly) get into the eye of every storm, after having had it for several months...i've had through silver in blood for a little while longer but every time i put it on it goes in one ear and out the other, probably need a couple more years to digest that one completely (not joking)

I think the parallel with Meshuggah would be that both bands have created a VERY strong niche genre for themselves. There are tons of clone Neurosis and Meshuggah bands, and the cloning seems to be really picking up steam.

NAD: Have you got Times of Grace yet? It is the perfect mix of Through Silver and The Eye of Every Storm.

Neurosis has gradually evolved from album to album, and you can really hear it. They aren't one of those bands that just decided to change their sound on the next album.

Man, I HATED A Sun... the first time I heard it. Then Nate berated me and I said "Okay, okay, I'll give it a few more spins."

2nd listen = BORING.

3rd listen = I put on "Nursery Cryme" within 20 minutes.

A month passes. I put it on one day when I'm sick and bedridden. THIS IS AWESOME!

Times of Grace is killer. The new one is pretty good, though it's the least favorite of the ones I've heard. I actually think my favorite is Souls at Zero.

Oh, and I've never heard TSIB.

Originally Posted by Black Winter Day
"okay... i just listened to that neurosis CD... and it is some of the most boring, overrated shit i have heard in a long while. why in the hell are so many people nutting over these guys? and don't give me any shit like "you just don't like the -core in it". wrong, i couldn't give a shit about the "core" in it, i am more concerned with the "sleep" in it. isis did this stuff right with "oceanic"... this, however, is composed of boring-as-hell, simple-as-hell guitar patterns, some of them consisting of an amazing two notes. no, i don't hate simplistic music if it is EFFECTIVE, i.e. creates a mood, sounds good, etc. these little guitar noodlings and "weavings" (see isis) do nothing except force me to focus my attention on something else... or getting away from this banality by simply going to sleep. the heavy parts are okay, but only decent at best. this album is about an hour too long, seriously. so... very... tired... someone is bound to tell me "it will grow on you with more listens". aha! but it does not INTEREST me! every cd that has grown on me after time i was at least mildly interested in after first listen ("this has potential"), but this... i do not feel compelled to ever listen to ever again. what in the HELL... i'll give it a few more spins, hopefully it will stir the insomniac in me and i will at least be able to stay awake during it. i love experimental music, but i am no somnambulist. maybe this is just not my thing."

Hahahahaha...

i remember that post, haha. TSiB is not an easy album to digest, in fact it's actually taken me years to enjoy it. i guess the same can be said about their other albums though, this is definitely a band that takes time. worth it.

listening to Times of Grace for the second time now.

Nice reading your story. As you probably know by now, Neurosis is my favorite band. Strangely enough, my initiation to "Neurosis" was with the Steve Von Till solo album. The song "To the Field" had a huge impact on me and my taste in general. I eventually bought my first Neurosis record, "A Sun That Never Sets". As it goes with Neurosis' albums, it took a little while to "click". I remember working on my homework on ASTNS and then, that song (which I won't name) totally desvastated me, I just couldn't believe what I heard. "A Sun that Never Sets" is and always be an enigma, a great mystery...impossible to grasp. It is beauty in its most stripped expression.

From then, I began to dig their entire discography. "Times of Grace" was another major breathrough; cathartic, emotionnaly purging, brutally honest...this album is all that, and much more. As far as I'm concerned, every Neurosis albums (put aside their first 2 punk albums) are absolutely essential.

ok I'll stop the delirium here. :p

Finally fucking found this thread. Checking out Times of Grave as we speak. I've neglected listening these guys out for ages.

*edit*

:kickass: x100