This is absolutely disgusting. These people deserve to

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the arguement. THEY HAVE TAKEN A LIFE, SO THEIRS MUST BE FORFIT. End.

Well then this is your problem if this is what constitutes an "argument" in your mind. What this is is a gut impulse. Don't let your brain fool you into thinking that this is an argument. What this is, at best, is a conclusion. But you have to reach that conclusion through preceding premises that lead to said conclusion. A man kills and therefore deserves to be killed does not constitute a proper argument.

Spot on

That is the arguement. THEY HAVE TAKEN A LIFE, SO THEIRS MUST BE FORFIT. End.

Let's logically work it out your argument, friend:

X took a life
Any situation in which one takes a life should result in the forfeiture of life

Kind of a dangerous argument there, no? Like, say if you had to kill somebody in self-defense and you weren't allowed to present your case?

Really? Bullshit. If these people valued their own lives so much they wouldn't regularly engage in suicide bombings. It's quite a rash assumption to make to think that a culture surrounded by so much violent death as there would actually give a damn about capital punishment and think twice about doing something.

The only problem you're forgetting is that honor killing is not the only crime in the middle east, and there's rampant possibility to be had all around for innocent people being executed for those other crimes.

Why do you bother condemning the culture at all if you only mean to make it worse by adding more killing? The middle east doesn't need your kind of help. They need stabilization, not more stringent penalties on criminal activity. And the rationality of "my theory is not backwards because I've decided that things will never change" is completely fatalist and worthless.

DING DING DING, this was my fucking point. Thank you very much.

Actually it's not, for many reasons. I was demonstrating how honor killings are practiced in the modern Western setting, and I was also making a point against something else that I disagree with. It wasn't really meant to be a point of focus in the argument to begin with though.

Well if you looked at the context of the statement, I think it's decently clear that it was not necessarily a specific statement about this specific indident.

Bullshit.

Ad of course it has nothing to do with cultural, political, and economic repression that prevents people from actively speaking out against it. Just because you don't see many protests against the practice does not mean that most people there do not condemn the practice. And by "society" you mean "the elite who dictate their own principles on society." Don't mistake the reality for the potentiality. If the people had their way, most likely honor killing WOULD be condemned. It's obviously condemned somewhat, or else they wouldn't bother arresting people for the murders at all.

No, but I'm passionate on issues that involve unnecessary killing and general ignorance on the subject.

I don't know why you (and others) have continued to imply that I'm fine with the pathetic sentences these murderers have received for these honor killings. 6 months in jail for murdering your daughter is bullshit. They should be put in jail until they prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they would not do that again in the same situation. Which in practice will generally mean for life. It's a cultural mindset that is not easily distinguished, so these people will be locked away for the rest of their lives. Which would be a greater deterrent than the death penalty because an execution can be viewed as an honorable death or a martyrdom, which is what these people want. Dying of old age in a jail cell is shameful. I doubt that many Arabs would opt for that death.

It's not all that terribly hard to predict your feelings in a rational state regarding a situation. Of course there will be gut instincts, as displayed by the majority here in this thread, wishing harm upon the killer, that is a natural human impulse. But reason should override gut instinct. In a rational state, I would not wish death upon any man, regardless of what he has done, unless his life poses an imminent threat upon others. If anything, I think one should be able to choose between life imprisonment and the death penalty. I suppose I can't argue against somebody that WANTS to die.

I'll reply to your post tomorrow... was out all day and took a nap when i got home.. when i woke up had problems connecting to the internet for hours.. now it's late and have to wake up early tomorrow morning... so take a breather...

the problem is that sort of activity is entirely unaccepted in mainstream christianity

That sort of activity is not at all uncommon, nor is it condemned by mainstream muslims. These countries really still do function like it's the 13th century.
Exactly, in some ways they do
They were not ready for us, they were not ready for us to force our ways, beliefs and ideas on them. If we had let them progress on their own they would eventually have been better off...

But humans being what they are, we can't hope for this to happen or ever have happened, since even if we had left them alone, they would have tried to get our land at some point or another...

I'm one for the acceptance of culture and the quirks that go along with it, but this is just disgusting.

http://www.whitelinefirm.nl/node/116718

The people were arrested it seems, but this was absolutely disgusting and they deserve to be killed for their actions.

:ill::zombie::bah:

Islam cannot be this... Maniacs... I live in a Muslim country but I don't believe in any religion at all.. But still, those fucking bastards ara staining Islam's name.. Yes I don't believe in Islam.. But... Argghh.. These people are not even human beings... so we shouldn't impute the fault to one religion.. They are bastards.. And they even don't know what is Islam or what they are doing... Bla bla bla...

Let's logically work it out your argument, friend:

X took a life
Any situation in which one takes a life should result in the forfeiture of life

Kind of a dangerous argument there, no? Like, say if you had to kill somebody in self-defense and you weren't allowed to present your case?

That was what I thought... So this will not end...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Ankara_bombing

About 10 people killed in my Country, 20 minutes from my home... A suicide bomb... One of the girls who killed was working in a shop where the bomb exploded.. She was trying to look after her family by working there.. The other guy was selling simit (savory roll covered with sesame seed) to earn his life.. The others were at the bus stop, trying to reach at their homes etc. One guy was there in order to buy his wedding clothes.. People were innocent.. While they were leaving their houses that very day, they thought, it will be an ordinary day.. But now, they are dead.. Their families, fiances, friends are in a deep agony.. It is too bad.. It is too bad...

My theory is that Mohammed introduced Islam to those people at the time when they were nomads, savages wandering in the wild. Customs like fasting, stoning, etc. may have worked out well in that uncivilised period, but when the world became more 'mordernized', the ideas of islam conflicted with the progress.

I practice Hinduism. I have lived in the middle east for awhile and though the arabs are really peaceful, there are some muslim gangs (mostly men in their late-teens/twenties) that target non-muslims. I have been beaten up too.

Its a shame that suicide bombers work under leaders who themselves do nothing for their 'cause'. They just drum religious nonsense into children and make them take that path.

I agree you Son of Evil...

Once upon a time ago, people were savages and Islam tried to guide them. They were in need of such guidance in those years.. Islam forbidden certain things in order to prevent them from bad things.. But now.. We don't need it.. We're civilized people.. We don't have to be dressed in our worshipping clothes either.. They are perverting the sense of religion.. The Quran, the holy book of Muslims suggests peace and brotherhood. It says there is a freedom in what you believe.. It says there cannot be any compulsion... It says one cannot take the life that God gives... I don't believe in any religion I should repeat it and I am not defending Islam or the Quran.. I am only saying that people don't know what they are doing.. Even if they were true Muslims, they wouldn't act like that...

From Wikipedia:

The Yazidi or Yezidi (Kurdish: Êzidîtî or Êzidî) (Arabic,يزيدي or ايزيدي) are adherents of a pre-Islamic Middle Eastern religion with ancient origins. The Yazidi belong to the smallest of the three branches of Yazdânism.

These people are not Muslim, they actually have a long history of conflict with Islam.

Here is a brief story with some stuff they left out on the CNN article: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/23/Worldandnation/Forbidden_love_led_to.shtml

From Wikipedia:

These people are not Muslim, they actually have a long history of conflict with Islam.

Here is a brief story with some stuff they left out on the CNN article: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/04/23/Worldandnation/Forbidden_love_led_to.shtml

Ahhh we established that it wasn't a Muslim thing like on the first or 2nd page... that the girl's religion was not Islam.. but nonetheless Doden did point out to me it was a cultural thing (honor killing) and not a religious practice...

Really? Bullshit. If these people valued their own lives so much they wouldn't regularly engage in suicide bombings. It's quite a rash assumption to make to think that a culture surrounded by so much violent death as there would actually give a damn about capital punishment and think twice about doing something.

Who says the honor killers would be suicide bombers? When they honor kill they are not risking their life obviously (6 months in prison remember). It is two different things and as you said honor killing is a cultural thing and not a religious thing. Suicide bombings usually have the proclamation of Jihad behind it. Suicide bombing is not all religious but it's a part of it, if it wasn't they wouldn't count on being a Martyr and getting 72 virgins in Heaven or whatever their belief is. Since Honor Killing is not a religious thing and only a cultural thing (as you pointed out) they are not looking to be martyrs. As for Capital punishment making them think twice. How do you know it wouldn't work for the reasons I just stated?. I would say in Saudia Arabia (one of the few more civilized nations in the Middle East imo) who has the death penalty for alot of offenses the crime rate is low there compared to our own country imo (Eastern thought is different then western thought). Call me naive but some people do not like the idea of being stoned or beheaded when they receive the death penalty in S.A. Remember that honor killers are not claiming to be Martyr's for anything much less for religion.

The only problem you're forgetting is that honor killing is not the only crime in the middle east, and there's rampant possibility to be had all around for innocent people being executed for those other crimes.
I am only addressing Honor Killing in our conversation so you are getting off topic. But like i said just above in S.A. the crime rate is low in violent crime compared to our own country. And it is because they get severe penalties (the death penalty notwithstanding). In the U.S. criminals for the most part get off easy alot of the times. You get 10 years and you can get out in 5 for good behavior etc.. etc.. The argument is that they demonstrated that they can behave and not act criminally but that's a joke because any true con would act in good behavior to cut their sentence in half. You once said I did not research capital punishment well but you are incorrect. I wrote a Term Paper in my english class in my College years ago to pass the class and I got a A+. It is naive to compare crime rates that are not deterred in our own country by the Death Penalty with that of the Middle East when S.A. among others (in the more civilized and ones with stabilized gov'ts not the ones in conflicts) prove that in their own countries their violent crime is below our own so therefor it can be argued the death penalty does work in their nation as a deterrent in some crimes. It hasn't been done with Honor Killing to be proven right or wrong in any Middle Eastern Nation. But let's take your side of the argument and give them Life without Parole. I agree with both punishments but we have to influence our "puppet" gov't in Iraq to implement it without the world knowing that we are behind it. After all in the CIA's history it has influenced Gov't's to do certain things whenever the CIA (or U.S. you can say) is behind the Gov't that is installed. Why stop now? lol Hell, we haven't stopped "influencing" our puppet Gov'ts at all.

Why do you bother condemning the culture at all if you only mean to make it worse by adding more killing? The middle east doesn't need your kind of help. They need stabilization, not more stringent penalties on criminal activity. And the rationality of "my theory is not backwards because I've decided that things will never change" is completely fatalist and worthless.

That's cute. Don't punish the criminals severely for violent crimes because they need stabilization.Award the criminals. Let them do what they want. :rolleyes: Anyways I am not suggesting destroy their culture but to use it against them. They have capital punishment for other violent crime, adding one more crime to the list would hardly make things worst in that region. Could make it better after all. Like I said it hasn't been implemented in any Middle Eastern nation to prove it will or won't work. Doesn't work in our own nation obviously but S.A. seems to make it work. Giving them light sentences will obviously not deter them. There are few people throughout my life I wouldn't mind killing but you know why I don't? Because sentences of more then 6 months and/or the death penalty deters me. Like I said previously, Honor killers are not matyrs nor claiming to be so they perhaps fear death themselves unlike Suicide Bombers who are the opposite.

DING DING DING, this was my fucking point. Thank you very much.

I was agreeing with you... now I'm not allowed to agree with you on a point and admit that I was wrong with the regards to that point? Or you just need to goad and rub it in with your narcissistic personality?

Actually it's not, for many reasons. I was demonstrating how honor killings are practiced in the modern Western setting, and I was also making a point against something else that I disagree with. It wasn't really meant to be a point of focus in the argument to begin with though.

There is no "honor" per say in western culture just hatred and revenge disguised as Justice. Not to say that "honor" in the Middle East is honor also. It is all about control.

Well if you looked at the context of the statement, I think it's decently clear that it was not necessarily a specific statement about this specific indident.
Looked it pretty much to me and probably to others on this board.

Bullshit.
Care to show me when I have disrespected you in the past before you did to me on this thread? He'll I even voted for you for Moderator before V5 got voted in. And I normally don't do that for youngsters who think they know it all and think they are always right.

Ad of course it has nothing to do with cultural, political, and economic repression that prevents people from actively speaking out against it. Just because you don't see many protests against the practice does not mean that most people there do not condemn the practice. And by "society" you mean "the elite who dictate their own principles on society." Don't mistake the reality for the potentiality. If the people had their way, most likely honor killing WOULD be condemned. It's obviously condemned somewhat, or else they wouldn't bother arresting people for the murders at all.

Would be condemned by women yes by men in general no. Their society (and not just the elite) is a macho society where women are not held in high "honor". Many protests? I don't see any protests whatsoever from any man that lives in the Middle East unless he's a westernized individual. I would hardly call 6 months to 2 years in jail as condemnation (and why do the men only get 6 months and the woman who killed her daughter 2 years?). The arrests are probably just P.R. purposes to the rest of the world.

No, but I'm passionate on issues that involve unnecessary killing and general ignorance on the subject.
No ignorance on my part. I think of all the angles. Pro's and Con's. You do not. You only think of the World According to Doden. If you condemn the Death Penalty for honor killings then why not for other crimes that already have that penalty? Oh, that's right. S.A. for a example would probably go into chaos like Iraq currently is and their would be more murders, rapes, etc. in S.A. That and if you condemn the death penalty and want to eradicate it in S.A. then you would technically be interfering in their culture. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you (and others) have continued to imply that I'm fine with the pathetic sentences these murderers have received for these honor killings. 6 months in jail for murdering your daughter is bullshit. They should be put in jail until they prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they would not do that again in the same situation. Which in practice will generally mean for life. It's a cultural mindset that is not easily distinguished, so these people will be locked away for the rest of their lives. Which would be a greater deterrent than the death penalty because an execution can be viewed as an honorable death or a martyrdom, which is what these people want. Dying of old age in a jail cell is shameful. I doubt that many Arabs would opt for that death.

I already agreed with Life without Parole but like I already stated you confuse suicide bombers with honor killers. One does it in the name of religion and proclaims themselves martyrs if they die for it while the other one is cultural and is not looking to die or know they won't die for doing a honor killing so they are not proclaiming martyrdom or a honorable death.

It's not all that terribly hard to predict your feelings in a rational state regarding a situation. Of course there will be gut instincts, as displayed by the majority here in this thread, wishing harm upon the killer, that is a natural human impulse. But reason should override gut instinct. In a rational state, I would not wish death upon any man, regardless of what he has done, unless his life poses an imminent threat upon others. If anything, I think one should be able to choose between life imprisonment and the death penalty. I suppose I can't argue against somebody that WANTS to die.

No one can predict someone's state of mind in a situation. They can say this or that before anything like that happens but history has shown us that humans sometimes act "irrationally" when that situation does arise. You can right now say you would not wish death on your mom's or sister's killer (if it happened to you) but till that event does happen you cannot predict your "rational". You might very much want revenge if it happened. I agree that life in prison is horrible but everyday he or she is alive in jail you are alive also and it would eat at your gut that they live while your loved one is dead. That and once that killer is dead they cannot kill anymore (that includes in prison where they can kill someone whose in there for some non violent crime like stealing cars etc. who could be your relative).

Anyways it is obvious we will not agree on anything except perhaps thrash or other metal genre's. We will just keep going back and forth and it is pointless. We both think were right in our own opinions. You much like me when I was your age and still am are very passionate about issues and I can only hope when you turn 18 you will practice what you preach and vote and/or get involved in such issues and not only just post on a forum about them.

Who says the honor killers would be suicide bombers? When they honor kill they are not risking their life obviously (6 months in prison remember). It is two different things and as you said honor killing is a cultural thing and not a religious thing. Suicide bombings usually have the proclamation of Jihad behind it. Suicide bombing is not all religious but it's a part of it, if it wasn't they wouldn't count on being a Martyr and getting 72 virgins in Heaven or whatever their belief is. Since Honor Killing is not a religious thing and only a cultural thing (as you pointed out) they are not looking to be martyrs. As for Capital punishment making them think twice. How do you know it wouldn't work for the reasons I just stated?. I would say in Saudia Arabia (one of the few more civilized nations in the Middle East imo) who has the death penalty for alot of offenses the crime rate is low there compared to our own country imo (Eastern thought is different then western thought). Call me naive but some people do not like the idea of being stoned or beheaded when they receive the death penalty in S.A. Remember that honor killers are not claiming to be Martyr's for anything much less for religion.

I only brought the issue of suicide bombers to articulate the level of importance placed on "living" in the Arab culture, I was IN NO FUCKING WAY drawing a comparison between suicide bombers and honor killing. You wasted a very large amount of time in this post articulating the faults in my argument regarding suicide bombers that you implied on your own. I in no way insinuated a connection between the two, and I don't know why the hell you assumed that I did.

As for Saudi Arabia, you have to actually have knowledge of the country to understand the issue. Saudi Arabia is the land owned by the Saud family and is in fact largely made up of a populous descending from that lineage. The majority of Saudi extremists who would be committing violent acts leave Saudi Arabia because they are not a major player in the turmoil, and instead go to Iraq, Iran, and Syria. And a lot of the violent crimes that does go on in Saudi Arabia go on unreported, especially when it involves the royal family. A helpful resource on this matter would be Secrets Of The Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection by Gerald Posner.

I am only addressing Honor Killing in our conversation so you are getting off topic. But like i said just above in S.A. the crime rate is low in violent crime compared to our own country. And it is because they get severe penalties (the death penalty notwithstanding). In the U.S. criminals for the most part get off easy alot of the times. You get 10 years and you can get out in 5 for good behavior etc.. etc.. The argument is that they demonstrated that they can behave and not act criminally but that's a joke because any true con would act in good behavior to cut their sentence in half. You once said I did not research capital punishment well but you are incorrect. I wrote a Term Paper in my english class in my College years ago to pass the class and I got a A+. It is naive to compare crime rates that are not deterred in our own country by the Death Penalty with that of the Middle East when S.A. among others (in the more civilized and ones with stabilized gov'ts not the ones in conflicts) prove that in their own countries their violent crime is below our own so therefor it can be argued the death penalty does work in their nation as a deterrent in some crimes. It hasn't been done with Honor Killing to be proven right or wrong in any Middle Eastern Nation. But let's take your side of the argument and give them Life without Parole. I agree with both punishments but we have to influence our "puppet" gov't in Iraq to implement it without the world knowing that we are behind it. After all in the CIA's history it has influenced Gov't's to do certain things whenever the CIA (or U.S. you can say) is behind the Gov't that is installed. Why stop now? lol Hell, we haven't stopped "influencing" our puppet Gov'ts at all.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here, but I've already addressed the issue of Saudi Arabia.

That's cute. Don't punish the criminals severely for violent crimes because they need stabilization.Award the criminals. Let them do what they want. :rolleyes:

Giving somebody a life sentence is not severe punishment and letting them "do what they want?" I've never heard life imprisonment described that way.

Anyways I am not suggesting destroy their culture but to use it against them. They have capital punishment for other violent crime, adding one more crime to the list would hardly make things worst in that region. Could make it better after all. Like I said it hasn't been implemented in any Middle Eastern nation to prove it will or won't work. Doesn't work in our own nation obviously but S.A. seems to make it work.

Again, I've addressed this issue.

Giving them light sentences will obviously not deter them. There are few people throughout my life I wouldn't mind killing but you know why I don't? Because sentences of more then 6 months and/or the death penalty deters me.

If punishment is the only thing deterring you from killing somebody, that's your own mental issue. I would like to think that most people do not kill others because they believe it is wrong from a moral or objective standpoint, and not because they will be punished.

Like I said previously, Honor killers are not matyrs nor claiming to be so they perhaps fear death themselves unlike Suicide Bombers who are the opposite.

Suicide bombers are not the only people in the Middle East who constantly put their lives on the line. General apathy to living is also an aspect of the culture found there, though obviously it's most clearly seen through suicide bombers who actively take their own lives.

I was agreeing with you... now I'm not allowed to agree with you on a point and admit that I was wrong with the regards to that point? Or you just need to goad and rub it in with your narcissistic personality?

It didn't seem like you realized that you were saying the same thing that I was saying, actually.

Looked it pretty much to me and probably to others on this board.

Not my problem, and frankly not really even important.

Care to show me when I have disrespected you in the past before you did to me on this thread? He'll I even voted for you for Moderator before V5 got voted in. And I normally don't do that for youngsters who think they know it all and think they are always right.

No, sorry, I don't feel like digging through old posts.

Would be condemned by women yes by men in general no. Their society (and not just the elite) is a macho society where women are not held in high "honor".

This is not entirely true. I would say that the majority is a male dominated culture, but even some of these "macho" members of society would most likely be in favor of not stoning people to death for seemingly arbitrary reasons.

Many protests? I don't see any protests whatsoever from any man that lives in the Middle East unless he's a westernized individual.

Since you don't see them, they must not exist, right? And actually there is a large number of "westernized" individuals as you describe that don't think stoning people to death is such a wonderful thing.

I would hardly call 6 months to 2 years in jail as condemnation (and why do the men only get 6 months and the woman who killed her daughter 2 years?). The arrests are probably just P.R. purposes to the rest of the world.

It's not much, but if it was a universally accepted practice, there wouldn't be any reason to arrest people for it, would there?

No ignorance on my part. I think of all the angles. Pro's and Con's. You do not. You only think of the World According to Doden.

What the fuck are you talking about? This issue is not new to me, and I've argued this before, so my position is well defined. Just because you don't see me internally debating points in my own posts does not mean that I have not looked at other angles. Don't make such rash assumptions.

If you condemn the Death Penalty for honor killings then why not for other crimes that already have that penalty?

I condemn the death penalty in any and all instances.

Oh, that's right. S.A. for a example would probably go into chaos like Iraq currently is and their would be more murders, rapes, etc. in S.A.

No it wouldn't, because you don't know what you're talking about.

That and if you condemn the death penalty and want to eradicate it in S.A. then you would technically be interfering in their culture. :rolleyes:

When did I ever say that I opposed interfering with a harmful element of a culture that unnecessarily puts lives in danger? I don't have any problems with that at all.

I already agreed with Life without Parole but like I already stated you confuse suicide bombers with honor killers.

No I don't, that was false implication on your part.

No one can predict someone's state of mind in a situation. They can say this or that before anything like that happens but history has shown us that humans sometimes act "irrationally" when that situation does arise. You can right now say you would not wish death on your mom's or sister's killer (if it happened to you) but till that event does happen you cannot predict your "rational". You might very much want revenge if it happened.

The likelihood of me being anywhere near my mother's killer when I learn of her death, unless of course I'm THERE when it happens, is fairly slim. Naturally, I will have instinctual, immediate impulses to most likely kill whoever did this to my mother, but in all probability by the time that the killer is found and put on trial, I will be in conscious of my rational state and will not let it be subverted by my instinctual, irrational impulses. And by rational state is that the death penalty is unjustified. So yes, I do feel that if somebody killed my mother, I would not want that person dead. Maybe if I was there and acting purely on instinct I would try to kill that person (and obviously would if I was being attacked as well), but any degree of separation from the incident allows one to reflect and recall reason and rationality.

I agree that life in prison is horrible but everyday he or she is alive in jail you are alive also and it would eat at your gut that they live while your loved one is dead. That and once that killer is dead they cannot kill anymore (that includes in prison where they can kill someone whose in there for some non violent crime like stealing cars etc. who could be your relative).

Whether or not the guy is alive is fucking meaningless, it's not going to bring my mother back. If I was having trouble living, the answer would be to kill myself to stop myself from grieving, not the person who killed my mother, because that wouldn't change a damn thing.

Anyways it is obvious we will not agree on anything except perhaps thrash or other metal genre's. We will just keep going back and forth and it is pointless. We both think were right in our own opinions. You much like me when I was your age and still am are very passionate about issues and I can only hope when you turn 18 you will practice what you preach and vote and/or get involved in such issues and not only just post on a forum about them.

HEY LOOK AT ME I'M OLDER HEY GUESS WHAT I WAS LIKE YOU AT YOUR AGE LOL I BET UR NOT EVEN 18 YET.

This is essentially the position that you're communicating here. I don't give a shit if you're older or if I remind you of me when you were younger, because the likelihood of us being very similar is very slim. And for the record, I am over 18, and for future reference, playing the age card is rather pathetic and generally reflects the loss of anything substantive to communicate. And for the record, I think our differences stem more from miscommunication and a less than full picture of the issue at hand than from fundamental contrasts of ideology.

My theory is that Mohammed introduced Islam to those people at the time when they were nomads, savages wandering in the wild. Customs like fasting, stoning, etc. may have worked out well in that uncivilised period, but when the world became more 'mordernized', the ideas of islam conflicted with the progress.
\

I...already mentioned this...>_<

Is it because there is a big chunk of text when I post? Is that why no one bothers to read it?

Probably, I skip over others half the time too :lol:

I only brought the issue of suicide bombers to articulate the level of importance placed on "living" in the Arab culture, I was IN NO FUCKING WAY drawing a comparison between suicide bombers and honor killing. You wasted a very large amount of time in this post articulating the faults in my argument regarding suicide bombers that you implied on your own. I in no way insinuated a connection between the two, and I don't know why the hell you assumed that I did.

Actually you did when you said both would not be deterred by the death penalty because they would consider it Martyrdom.And I merely pointed out one would consider it Martyrdom due to religious reasons (suicide bombers) while the other wouldn't due to cultural reasons (honor killers).It's pretty straight forward.

As for Saudi Arabia, you have to actually have knowledge of the country to understand the issue. Saudi Arabia is the land owned by the Saud family and is in fact largely made up of a populous descending from that lineage. The majority of Saudi extremists who would be committing violent acts leave Saudi Arabia because they are not a major player in the turmoil, and instead go to Iraq, Iran, and Syria. And a lot of the violent crimes that does go on in Saudi Arabia go on unreported, especially when it involves the royal family. A helpful resource on this matter would be Secrets Of The Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection by Gerald Posner.

I never mentioned extremists nor crimes committed against the royal family. I meant general crime. General everyday murders and rapes. Murders committed during a robbery, a argument between friends, someone killed your mother etc.. whatever the motives are. As for the book. Don't always believe what you read as most are biased by the author for whatever his or her beliefs are. But I won't go into that because as I said I wasn't talking about extremists or the royal family.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here, but I've already addressed the issue of Saudi Arabia.

Pretty much that everyday general capital crimes in S.A. are low in the Kingdom and other civilized Middle Eastern nations in that region that are not in conflicts due to the Death Penalty.

Giving somebody a life sentence is not severe punishment and letting them "do what they want?" I've never heard life imprisonment described that way.

This what your statement is:"They need stabilization, not more stringent penalties on criminal activity."

I would say Life imprisonment is "stringent".

Again, I've addressed this issue.
again reread what i said about S.A. above since we are both talking about different things about it.

If punishment is the only thing deterring you from killing somebody, that's your own mental issue. I would like to think that most people do not kill others because they believe it is wrong from a moral or objective standpoint, and not because they will be punished.

Let me quote a movie I watched today on tv (seen it before: The Quick & the Dead) to give my view on this much easier:

Preacher (Russell Crowe): Killing is wrong.
Lady (Sharon Stone): Some people deserve to die.

But like I said stone cold killer getting the Death Penalty will not be able to kill again whether in the outside world or in prison which will happen eventually if they do life in prison and have confrontations throughout their sentence.

Suicide bombers are not the only people in the Middle East who constantly put their lives on the line. General apathy to living is also an aspect of the culture found there, though obviously it's most clearly seen through suicide bombers who actively take their own lives.

Give me a example.

It didn't seem like you realized that you were saying the same thing that I was saying, actually.

I did realize it and thats why I said it because you did change my mind on one of your points. I was just agreeing with you but you do not seem to see that.

Not my problem, and frankly not really even important.

If you mentioned it in such a thread that is about a passionate issue then yes it is important but whatever then.

No, sorry, I don't feel like digging through old posts.

That is because there is nothing to dig for since I never have you are just merely avoiding it because you realize I am right on this point but whatever.

This is not entirely true. I would say that the majority is a male dominated culture, but even some of these "macho" members of society would most likely be in favor of not stoning people to death for seemingly arbitrary reasons.

Oh so now you can read their minds and speak for them?

Especially after you said this statement: "If these people valued their own lives so much they wouldn't regularly engage in suicide bombings. It's quite a rash assumption to make to think that a culture surrounded by so much violent death as there would actually give a damn about capital punishment and think twice about doing something."

Since you don't see them, they must not exist, right?

Since the invention of Television and the Internet do you not think if such a protest existed it would be leaked by now like this poor girl's murder?

And actually there is a large number of "westernized" individuals as you describe that don't think stoning people to death is such a wonderful thing.

Didn't I say this already: "I I don't see any protests whatsoever from any man that lives in the Middle East unless he's a westernized individual."

It's not much, but if it was a universally accepted practice, there wouldn't be any reason to arrest people for it, would there?

I would say it is universally accepted in the Middle East. The arrests are probably to appease the rest of the world and say they are civilized. Like I said public relations purposes.

What the fuck are you talking about? This issue is not new to me, and I've argued this before, so my position is well defined. Just because you don't see me internally debating points in my own posts does not mean that I have not looked at other angles. Don't make such rash assumptions.

It is the world according to Doden you just don't seem to admit it. And damn anyone who do not have his views because Doden is always right and no one else is.

I condemn the death penalty in any and all instances.

Believe it or not I also did at your age of 20 (I thought you were 17 because that is when I first came around to this site when you were that age. Guess I still thought you were that age). Anyways that term paper I wrote in college (around 1992) had all the views you are now posting in this thread. I still have the paper somewhere (if I can even find it in this messy apartment)since I know you will not believe me. But anyways I rethought my views lately and this honor killing is one reason for doing so.

No it wouldn't, because you don't know what you're talking about.

yes I forgot only Doden knows what he is talking about. :rolleyes: Reread my views on S.A. if you forgot.

When did I ever say that I opposed interfering with a harmful element of a culture that unnecessarily puts lives in danger? I don't have any problems with that at all.

you have said that we shouldn't interfere and try to impose our morals or ideas on the middle east.

No I don't, that was false implication on your part.
I already addressed this above when you said both would not care about the death penalty because both would consider it martyrdom. Go back and reread my post if you forgot.

The likelihood of me being anywhere near my mother's killer when I learn of her death, unless of course I'm THERE when it happens, is fairly slim. Naturally, I will have instinctual, immediate impulses to most likely kill whoever did this to my mother, but in all probability by the time that the killer is found and put on trial, I will be in conscious of my rational state and will not let it be subverted by my instinctual, irrational impulses. And by rational state is that the death penalty is unjustified. So yes, I do feel that if somebody killed my mother, I would not want that person dead. Maybe if I was there and acting purely on instinct I would try to kill that person (and obviously would if I was being attacked as well), but any degree of separation from the incident allows one to reflect and recall reason and rationality.

Again say what you like now but it's different when it happens. Whether before the killer is arrested, during the arrest or when he's convicted.

Whether or not the guy is alive is fucking meaningless, it's not going to bring my mother back. If I was having trouble living, the answer would be to kill myself to stop myself from grieving, not the person who killed my mother, because that wouldn't change a damn thing.

It would do a damn thing in that he/she would not be able to murder again and someone else be feeling the grief you would be. Killing yourself would not do a damn thing.

HEY LOOK AT ME I'M OLDER HEY GUESS WHAT I WAS LIKE YOU AT YOUR AGE LOL I BET UR NOT EVEN 18 YET.

I was actually starting the ninth grade when you were a embryo. Do the math and figure out my age. I'm one of the oldest on this board.And you may not think so but your views can or may change when and if you reach my age. Whether you like to admit it or not right now. Do me a favor when you do reach that age and if your views do change think back to this thread and debate between us.

This is essentially the position that you're communicating here. I don't give a shit if you're older or if I remind you of me when you were younger, because the likelihood of us being very similar is very slim. And for the record, I am over 18, and for future reference, playing the age card is rather pathetic and generally reflects the loss of anything substantive to communicate.

Ask yourself if you are the same person in all your views and thoughts as you were at the age of 11 or some other age? People older are sometimes wiser (i'm not saying in this particular issue but in general) and someday you will look at a narcissistic kid whose 17 or 20 or whatever age with some views that perhaps will make your own eyes roll. Views that perhaps you had at the same age. Btw as for you being over 18 I just realized that now but like I said above I first became aware of you when you were 17 on this board I believe. So that age stuck in my mind. Anyways when you are 15 years older from now look back at when you were 20 and see if your views are still the same (again not this particular issue but in general). Perhaps then you will see that the "age card" is sometimes valid because you are not always the same person you were when you were younger. Who knows maybe in 15 years I'll change my mind again about the Death Penalty but for now I don't think so in certain cases like this one.

And for the record, I think our differences stem more from miscommunication and a less than full picture of the issue at hand than from fundamental contrasts of ideology.
Probably correct but a matter of debate.

Damn I feel like I'm playing debatable tennis. Let's just agree that we don't agree on this issue. People can have different views.

Status
Not open for further replies.