This should be interesting, Christians...

Cythraul said:
Common sense is not the same thing as the rigorous application of formal reasoning. People used to think the sun revolved around the earth. Back then, that was common sense. Yeah I know, that's kind of a weak example but... Anyway, explain some more about this Spinoza character. All I know about him is that he was a sort of pantheist, which is much much different than the Christian conception of God. I still maintain that no matter how great an argument looks on paper, it just doesn't cut it when you're trying to use it to posit the existence of a being that is outside the limits of sense experience. In fact, I'd like you to tell me why you think such an undertaking is even necessary!

Plus, I've been thinking a little about creation (this is relevant to the Free Will thread as well, but I find it's more suited to the topic of deities and whatnot). The idea that a "first cause" logically has to exist yet simultaneously betrays our ideas of causality has been used to suggest that causality is fallible, but I contest that. All it disproves is the idea that a rule which applies relationally for entities within the universe has to apply to the universe as a whole.

An idea which appeals to me is that the universe is made up of infinite parts, but it did have a beginning because the parts were not always expressed in the way the universe expresses them. Regardless, the only way there could be a "first cause" in creation is if it existed atemporally and created the rules of time and causality without being restricted to them itself.

Any form of consciousness requires change which requires time, whilst something simply being in a particular natural *state* does not. Perhaps a state of constant expansion and contraction doesn't require time or change as such - my thoughts on this will be more fully formulated in time, I'm studying it currently.

I'll reply to Korona later. Going to teh cinema now.

cthulufhtagn said:
I don't think there's too much I can bring to this discussion...other than to say that faith itself requires an abandonment of critical analysis, a dangerous concept. Belief in god constitutes a denial of acceptance of personal responsibility--teleology is a way of manipulating and controlling people; painting them a future so they'll ignore the present.
wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

faith requires EXTENSIVE critical analysis, you don't want to step into air (example) without compelling evidence that you won't die.

belief in God constitutes an incredible amount of personal responsibility. everything you do, say, and think- God is watching. God knows all. you are held accountable for every action and thought. God is the truth that you cannot hide from. He does not control us. If he wished to, it would be easy. Instead he watches and allows us to choose what our fate will be.

The present is the only time we have. here and now is when we make our decisions and take our actions, here and now is when we show God and each other what kind of people we really are. the future is uncertain.

Silent Song said:
translational disputes are inevitable. we're talking about a book that was written over a thousand years ago and has been rewritten countless times in many languages. you stress certain words and the same sentence can mean any number of things.

Perhaps it is meant that Jesus is both son AND servant, as any son is meant to serve his father. nowhere in your evidence does it show He is one and not the other. It simply identifies Him by the word that can potentially mean son, savior, or possibly both. as for God identifying people and places as children; because He created all of those things, it is no surprise He would call them children. Any creation capable of thought thinks of its creator as father, and many creators feel paternal bonds to their creations. How should this be different?

Let us look at John 1:1 "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." This is often presented from the Gospel of John to prove that Jesus was God. There are however several problems with this claim: By this verse it is assumed that Jesus was the "word" and since the word was God and became flesh, Jesus is God. The statement that John reproduced in his gospel however was uttered not by John but by A Philo of Alexandria, years before Jesus or John were born. It is therefore completely unlikely that Philo was even remotely referring to Jesus.

There is also another reason for not capitalizing the "G" in John 1:1, considering the Greek of the above verse which disproves the assertion that Jesus is referred to as God in the verse. In the verse above, the first time the word God is used, the Greek is "TON THEOS", which means "a god". However, the stronger Greek word "HO THEOS" which means "Divine God" was used for satan in 2 Corinthians 4:4. The NIV Bible Author wrote "god" for Satan instead of "God", which the word itself literally means The God. The second time the word God is used,"....and the word was God," the word for God is TONTHEOS, which also means "a god".

Europeans have evolved a system of capital and small letters non-existent in Greek. The God, HOTHEOS is translated as God with a capital G, whereas Tontheos, which means A or ANY God is translated with a small g, god. In this case however, we see the unlawful translators trying to prove Jesus being God by putting capital G for both whereas it doesn't belong in the case of the "word".

Remember, the title 'god' was given to others in the bible.

Silent Song said:
faith requires EXTENSIVE critical analysis, you don't want to step into air (example) without compelling evidence that you won't die.
faith (n.) - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence

Silent Song said:
belief in God constitutes an incredible amount of personal responsibility. everything you do, say, and think- God is watching. God knows all. you are held accountable for every action and thought. God is the truth that you cannot hide from. He does not control us. If he wished to, it would be easy. Instead he watches and allows us to choose what our fate will be.
God has a Plan, right? That pretty much ends it right there. You are allowed free will to determine your own personal afterlife, but whatever you do makes no difference on a large scale; in the end, God will prevail. Such a thought is dangerous, because it fundamentally denies that humanity is responsible for its own future and that we alone have the responsibility of making life on Earth as pleasant or as hellish as we decide.

Silent Song said:
The present is the only time we have. here and now is when we make our decisions and take our actions, here and now is when we show God and each other what kind of people we really are. the future is uncertain.
Well there's something we can agree on. The difference is do we take the future in our own hands or leave it up to the invisible man in the sky?

Jinn said:
Let us look at John 1:1 "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." This is often presented from the Gospel of John to prove that Jesus was God. There are however several problems with this claim: By this verse it is assumed that Jesus was the "word" and since the word was God and became flesh, Jesus is God. The statement that John reproduced in his gospel however was uttered not by John but by A Philo of Alexandria, years before Jesus or John were born. It is therefore completely unlikely that Philo was even remotely referring to Jesus.

There is also another reason for not capitalizing the "G" in John 1:1, considering the Greek of the above verse which disproves the assertion that Jesus is referred to as God in the verse. In the verse above, the first time the word God is used, the Greek is "TON THEOS", which means "a god". However, the stronger Greek word "HO THEOS" which means "Divine God" was used for satan in 2 Corinthians 4:4. The NIV Bible Author wrote "god" for Satan instead of "God", which the word itself literally means The God. The second time the word God is used,"....and the word was God," the word for God is TONTHEOS, which also means "a god".

Europeans have evolved a system of capital and small letters non-existent in Greek. The God, HOTHEOS is translated as God with a capital G, whereas Tontheos, which means A or ANY God is translated with a small g, god. In this case however, we see the unlawful translators trying to prove Jesus being God by putting capital G for both whereas it doesn't belong in the case of the "word".

Remember, the title 'god' was given to others in the bible.

It seems you require to base your arguments on translational differences in Greek. i see this as completely irrelevant. the evidence is there. if you fail to see it, that isn't anything I can do about it except wonder why.

as for faith (n.) - Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence

where did you get that? it is completely and utterly wrong. true faith is as i described above. it is based on evidence and logic and reason, but requires an extra step to bridge the final gap.

God has a plan yes. this plan is not compromising of free will. If God wanted you to take a left and you went right, you don't get struck by lightning. his plan is beyond mere human decision and free-will. you could say free-will is part of his plan. we are held accountable (as i stated above and as stated in the Bible) for everything that we do. God does not interfere. he may in some way shape or form guide us, but we are free to disregard that guidance and walk astray.

it is not certain that God will prevail. perhaps he knows, but we on earth do not. all that is certain is that we are accountable for everything we do. i've stated this many times, and it is a common theme throughout the Bible. where you get this notion that faithful people are somehow ignorant of consequences is utterly false.

Silent Song said:
God has a plan yes. this plan is not compromising of free will. If God wanted you to take a left and you went right, you don't get struck by lightning. his plan is beyond mere human decision and free-will. you could say free-will is part of his plan. we are held accountable (as i stated above and as stated in the Bible) for everything that we do. God does not interfere. he may in some way shape or form guide us, but we are free to disregard that guidance and walk astray.

it is not certain that God will prevail. perhaps he knows, but we on earth do not. all that is certain is that we are accountable for everything we do. i've stated this many times, and it is a common theme throughout the Bible. where you get this notion that faithful people are somehow ignorant of consequences is utterly false.

All of that is dependent upon whether or not the god of Christianity actually exists. I don't mean to be a dick or anything but every point you just made is merely wishful thinking, hollow words, and a whole lot of presumption. I don't know if you're really trying to prove anything or if you're just trying to elucidate the Christian concept of God but clearly you're not proving anything here. Show me how any of that is true and not simply your own personal wish/viewpoint.

@silent song: Faith - dictionary.com is wrong then?

You are a Christian, so you believe in the Last Judgement, correct? In other words, that the fate of the universe ultimately rests on the shoulders of God. I understand that God supposedly gives us free will; I've certainly attended enough Catholic school to have had a few things drilled into my head. The point is, however, that an individual's actions have no influence on "God's Plan"--everything is part of God's Plan. If I go to work and gun down a bunch of people, that's part of God's Plan. But if I decide to stay in bed all day, that's God's Plan. By claiming "well we can never know what God has in mind", anything and everything can be brought under the giant, vague umbrella known as God. If you believe in this giant, inherently incomprehensible concept, that is faith without rational basis. I'm not claiming Christians have no sense of personal responsibility, but the question is whether one is ultimately responsible to God or to humanity. I don't believe you can have both.

I'm personally a christian in that I believe Jesus was the son of God. However, I follow alot of beliefs taught by Buddhism, Rastifarianism and Islam. Thats not to say that I believe in their prophets. So if being a Christian means following all the messages taught by the Bible I'm not one, or at least not a very good one.

It really bugs me when people so blatantly hate Christianity or any other religion in particular. Christianity and so many other religions have gotten very bad reputations but it is not the religion itself that causes these problems but megalomaniacs who use religion as a tool to force their will upon others.

For example, the Spanish inquisition was caused in very large part to the growing wealth of Jews and Muslims in Spain at the time. The leaders of Spain saw that these peoples were becoming far too successful and instituted an inquisition to reclaim some of their wealth. Religion and government don't mix.

first of all, you guys are telling me dictionary.com is infalliable? :lol: please.

yes Cythraul what i am saying is dependent on the existance of God. if you don't believe in God, you will find what i say incomprehensible.

about the Last Judgment and the Will of God:
you continuously miss the point i am making. we as human beings on this earth are granted choice, or the illusion of choice. take your pick. in the Bible, God's message is to be accountable for all your actions on earth. that we choose what will become of us, and that those choices matter. we are given this choice (or illusion of choice, argue free will in the other thread) as a gift from God to live here and now on earth, in a place where we can show him and each other what kind of people we are. nowhere in the Bible does God or his disciples say "do whatever, it doesnt matter because God's in control anyway." that's a misinterpretation of the message.

and lastly: in further reference to GoD's/Jinn's post:
even granting you the nitpicky Greek etymology, how then do you explain later in that passage when John himself calls Jesus the Messiah and Son of God? later Jesus asserts that John's testimony is truth. if you believe Jesus is only the servant or prophet of God, then why would he lie? John called him the Son of God. I've already stated:

Bible said:
John 1:32
And John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven and stay on him. I still did not know that he was the one, but God, who sent me to baptize with water, had said to me, "You will see the Spirit come down and stay on a man; he is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit." I have seen it," said John, "and I tell you that he is the Son of God."

John 5:31-34
Jesus says: If I testify on my own behalf, what I say is not going to be accepted as real proof. But there is someone else who testifies on my behalf, and I know that what he says about me is true. John is the one to whom you sent your messengers, and he spoke on behalf of the truth. It is not that I must have a man's witness; I say this only in order that you may be saved.

Korona said:
Anyway he has a lot of fans in the Jewish community, so he can't be all that incompatible with the Semitic view of God.

Heh, they're probably fans because he allows them (justly or otherwise) to say "God's existence is based on reason", as you are now. I fail to see how it suggests the existence of anything resembling the Christian/Jewish God, honestly.

" it's mentally impossible to do something that doesn't benefit you in some way. To do so would be to cease to be." :loco:

I dont quite know how to deal with this as I havent got a clue how you came to this conclusion!.. But the main problem as I see it with this is that even with two contradictory statements you have to accept that they are both benificial. In reality you are saying I can do anything and it would benifit me... That just seems ludicrous...

No, it makes perfect sense. A person only ever acts because he/she chooses to do so, a person only ever makes choices based on his/her own values (in the broader, not necessarily ideological sense), a person only ever values something because it benefits him/her from his/her own perspective (I didn't mean objectively).

I added the own interests bit to show that it IS common sense to accept these principles, even on a self serving level it is pretty obvious to me that it makes sense to help people.

As for the second point, I see no biological reason short of a birth defect that incapacitates someone from achieving any of the commonly held ideals of greatness. Anthing else is environemental, and so can be changed. I agree that a crappy upbrining is commonplace, but the attitudes that keep a lot of people in a state of stagnation are learned, not given at birth, and in any case can be overcome.

Posting here right now could potentially help people out of a stagnant mindset as far as I'm concerned (though my primary reason for it is to strengthen myself via my own learning, as I think we're too late in trying to save this civilisation to make it the primary objective). Giving them pleasure and comfort would not. Even if I were to shower them in it, they would be able to repay me with nothing of worth.

"Greatness" in this discussion is going to vary in definition between us, of course. Those whom I consider great are those who are able to break away from the illusory aspects of our society and base their worldview around reality - the natural process of all things. This is very, very few in my experience. Also, my environment isn't particularly unusual yet my mindset is. This supports the theory that few are capable of thinking, as I trust that I do, in context to reality, which I consider "great". I believe in genes being our fundamental selves, too, and that they have a great part to play in the formation of one's attitude.

Perhaps everyone is capable of your version of greatness, yet I'm even unconvinced by that. You state that "every stagnant mindset can be overcome", but what implies this? There being no evidence against something isn't a satisfactory argument for believing in anything. What reason founds your view? What is a "stagnant mindset" to you, for that matter?

In addition I'll add that the only way helping others to make them happy will always self-serve is in a society where everyone has exactly the same values as yours. As this isn't the case, it instead becomes contextual, not of inherent worth. Most people do it simply to satisfy their own guilt/pity because they consider the pain of others a transcendent bad (thanks to moral enslavement). If anything, it's guilt + pity which are "bad" when looking at things in context to reality, because they make us tolerant of weakness, thus we stagnate (and end up hurting ---> dying out anyway, making us worse people even from the Christian perspective).

You seem to be saying that our culture would not have had ideas such as private property, prohibitions against murder, sexual taboos, etc. without Christianity. I'm sorry that's just flase, these ideas are to be found in just about every society on Earth, what makes you think that pre-Christian society in the West was any different?

In the pre-Christian west (ntm many other societies), murder without satisfactory cause may well have been considered unproductive and therefore punishable, but murder in itself was not considered to be some sort of ultimate "evil". The worth of the person's life was taken into account, and the reasons for it being taken away. Context mattered, and honour, killing and many other such modern taboos were not considered an intrinsic "bad".

Also why do you think there was any form of opression involved? Most cultures readily accepted Christianity in some form or another, and by the time the Catholic church was established it was a common religion.

Er, many Heathen natives were forcefully converted in America and Europe i.e. the Saxons in the 8th century, isn't this a widely accepted historical fact?

Gallantry over Docility said:
Er, many Heathen natives were forcefully converted in America and Europe i.e. the Saxons in the 8th century, isn't this a widely accepted historical fact?
this i would agree with, unfortunately those people who so forcibly enslaved in the name of God were failing His cause unknowingly. worse yet, those forcefully converted probably never really came to understand what God's message really is. understably so, as it is not a message that should be accepted at the end of a spear or gun, but out of free will. the Crusades were probably among the worst crimes committed in God's name, and least successful sharing of His word, because His word is that of peace, and to proclaim a message of peace with war-making is vanity.

Silent Song said:
about the Last Judgment and the Will of God:
you continuously miss the point i am making. we as human beings on this earth are granted choice, or the illusion of choice. take your pick. in the Bible, God's message is to be accountable for all your actions on earth. that we choose what will become of us, and that those choices matter. we are given this choice (or illusion of choice, argue free will in the other thread) as a gift from God to live here and now on earth, in a place where we can show him and each other what kind of people we are. nowhere in the Bible does God or his disciples say "do whatever, it doesnt matter because God's in control anyway." that's a misinterpretation of the message.
I think it is you who are missing my point.
cthulufhtagn said:
I understand that God supposedly gives us free will
I cannot get more straightforward than that without resorting to drawing pictures. The point is that by believing in God you are responsible only to yourself; the choices you make ultimately affect only your final outcome. I didn't mean to say "well you can do whatever you want", but leaving it up to God to sort out the saints and sinners is a denial of responsibility to humanity. I can't believe in God while AIDS, war, Bush, destruction of the environment, massive widespread human rights violations, and such things exist. Well, I can believe in a god--a depraved, sadist god. I'd rather burn in hell than serve him, thanks.

To backtrack toward the original question, I cannot stand the "God hates fags", "women belong in the kitchen", "turn or burn" type Christians. Before I get angry responses, let me make it clear I understand those of you who are Christian here are (I'm guessing) not of that persuasion. I refuse to accept a brand of religion that preaches such nonsense, regardless of the (frankly ridiculous) ideals behind it.

As I see it, Christianity can be beneficial or harmful, but no more so than people can be without it. The potential for manipulation and control through religion is simply too great--why look at the world through tinted lenses when you could see it for what it truly is? There is just no benefit to believing in a God that doesn't exist.

Silent Song said:
this i would agree with, unfortunately those people who so forcibly enslaved in the name of God were failing His cause unknowingly. worse yet, those forcefully converted probably never really came to understand what God's message really is. understably so, as it is not a message that should be accepted at the end of a spear or gun, but out of free will. the Crusades were probably among the worst crimes committed in God's name, and least successful sharing of His word, because His word is that of peace, and to proclaim a message of peace with war-making is vanity.

These people were surely using Christianity as a means to gain power, rather than because they genuinely shared its values. Perhaps it was created by men in the first place for that purpose, though with some preferring to manipulate the mind in subtler ways.

Silent Song said:
the Crusades were probably among the worst crimes committed in God's name, and least successful sharing of His word, because His word is that of peace, and to proclaim a message of peace with war-making is vanity.
On a somewhat lighter and historical note, the Crusades were actually a disaster. The Europeans were disorganized and outmatched by the defenders of the region; the only way they managed to get a foothold at all was on account of infighting between local Muslim rulers.

Granted, the northern crusades in the Baltic region were much more successful and better serve to illustrate your point.

cthulufhtagn said:
To backtrack toward the original question, I cannot stand the "God hates fags", "women belong in the kitchen", "turn or burn" type Christians. Before I get angry responses, let me make it clear I understand those of you who are Christian here are (I'm guessing) not of that persuasion. I refuse to accept a brand of religion that preaches such nonsense, regardless of the (frankly ridiculous) ideals behind it.

As I see it, Christianity can be beneficial or harmful, but no more so than people can be without it. The potential for manipulation and control through religion is simply too great--why look at the world through tinted lenses when you could see it for what it truly is? There is just no benefit to believing in a God that doesn't exist.
everything has potential for manipulation and control. that's why i said, if you don't honestly approach it with an intent to follow, then don't follow blindly. don't be suckered into it. i am not controlled by religion, i sought it out because i believe what a lot of it has to say. as for "those" types of christians, i completely agree with you. they are fools.

i agree GoD that most likely the cause of the Crusades was wealth and power. they used religion to "legitimize" their crimes, and yet still they are no more than crimes because nothing can legitimize what they did.

and although i won't get too deeply into my political affiliations, i despise Bush and his use of Christianity to braincontrol mindless americans. reminds me of our earlier discussion on the Crusades... :err:

Silent Song said:
everything has potential for manipulation and control
Agreed, which is why I am wary of anyone who says "do this because I said so/because it's written down here". As far as Christians go, you seem to be one of the more rational and honest ones, but I'd rather stick to my own path.

There were many who went in huddled procession,
They knew not whither;
But, at any rate, success or calamity
Would attend all in equality.
There was one who sought a new road.
He went into direful thickets,
And ultimately he died thus, alone;
But they said he had courage.
-Stephen Crane​

sounds ok by me. the last thing i want to do is come off as "do this or else!"

at best i'd hope this discussion shows all of our views so that we better understand each other and for me personally, it's made me stronger in my belief.

Gallantry over Docility said:
Heh, they're probably fans because he allows them (justly or otherwise) to say "God's existence is based on reason", as you are now. I fail to see how it suggests the existence of anything resembling the Christian/Jewish God, honestly.

not to mention the fact that Spinoza actually was Jewish.

Silent Song said:
It seems you require to base your arguments on translational differences in Greek. i see this as completely irrelevant. the evidence is there. if you fail to see it, that isn't anything I can do about it except wonder why.

I don't fail to see anything.

You still haven't refuted the passage I gave you proving that Jesus admitted he was sent only to Israel and not the entire world as Christians claim.

Read my rebuttal carefully. You'll see that it refutes John 1:1 soundly.