This should be interesting, Christians...

I think that the main point about translational issues is that the text changes over time--nothing can exist for two thousand years without being altered in some way or another. The fact is the beliefs and practices of Christians today are very different from those during the centuries after the death of Jesus. If religion itself can be altered over time, who's to say whether the current incarnation is even the "right" one? This is where "faith" enters, and that's the big hangup.

Jinn said:
I don't fail to see anything.

You still haven't refuted the passage I gave you proving that Jesus admitted he was sent only to Israel and not the entire world as Christians claim.

Read my rebuttal carefully. You'll see that it refutes John 1:1 soundly.
who's to say Jesus wasn't merely lighting a fire in Israel to spread to the whole world? by being made human, he couldn't go EVERYWHERE in the world, and certainly not spread his message to everyone within the lifetime of man. he had to start something and make sure at least some people took hold of what he said.

your rebuttal fails to dispute my twice posted passages about John's testimony.

I have skimmed the posts and havnt had to time to read them properly, but I would like to say that it is nice to see both Christians and Non christians arguing so nicely. There are no "Im right your wrong, cause the bible tells me so, so ha! PWNED!" remarks. It really is refreshing to see actual discussion going on. Keep it up!

I too am a person of faith (one that believes in God and Jesus). The reason I say this, is because we all are. Every thing we see, touch, feel, experience is taken for granted. I might not be a person typing this, you could be making this up in your head. Or every one around you is just some simulation, nothing is real. No, however as unlikly these things are, you can't disprove them. I sometimes think I can't prove to any one there is a God, but I really don't think that is my place, I think that's something God does in his own way. The more important thing is, we all believe in something. You may believe there is no such God....while I do. I can't present absolute truth and neither can you. That brings me to my next point, we all believe what we want to believe. I have doubts about the whole Jesus thing. Shit man, I'm human, thats what we do. We doublethink everything. But I'm sure there is some absoulute power that dictates the Universe as a whole. Nature and physics are both mysterious and calculated, but what we do know, points to some grand organization, something only possible if such a power existed.

@Gallantry concerning the equalitarian thing. Dood, where do you live? I live in the states and I can tell you, in theory every one in my country has equal rights as a citizen of our nation, but it is in no way absolutism or communistic. I mean, our govt. was founded by christian men and it is the exact oposite. What about China, they have what your speaking off, but I couldn't of told you any of this because in china people can't practice religion freely. My freedoms in the US are the result of some one adhearing to values, not the other way around.

Some of you may strongly dissagree, But I believe there is a right and a wrong. Just because something is accepted in society doesn't make it right and vice versa. I especially know this, I perpetrate them all the time. I'm a hypocrite even though i strive otherwise..you find a person who isn't in some way hypocritical. Yes people cared about the Terri thing, but honestly, I thought that it was her time and that God never made those machines keeping her alive. The thing is, you can't blast "values" as something bad.
About the selfless thing, your right. There is almost nothing that is trully selfless, other than maybe self sacrafice, but that would be arguable and typically unessary unless in times of war. Every thing has some kind of consequence, I feel good for giving a homeless dood some money when he asked. I feel bad for lying to some one (and forgetting how to spell the damn word). Both of these actions have consequences, wheither dire or insinificant, thats up to life but they have consequence none the less.
The reason people keep bring up the whole humanity is wrong thing is because it pretty much on the money. Even if you're an atheist, and you beleive religion and God are manmade, who should you dislike, the created...or the creator?

I can understand how some of you may have this whole thing, if God exists he is an asshole, but honestly man with all the shit you make it though, you come out stronger. Now i'm not saying that terrible things happening to people are good, its just its life, shit happens, and sometimes the shit hits the fan. And the fact that you've had practice putting your umbreella up faster might help. Hurray for poop and the symblance there of.
I know is the bilbe never said though shall not thrash, or though shall not enjoy the heavy, and I like heavy metal. Yeah, some of the lyrical themes dissagree with my beliefs, but so do some of my friends, why should I shun either?

Which brings up another point; how do people feel about religious themes in music? If a band (many, many bm bands come to mind) puts out music that contains a strong anti- (or pro-) religious message, does that make you respect them less? More? Are you willing to listen at all?

Personally I don't mind the religious stance of a band...Although I can't say I listen to any Christian bands, that may just be because I haven't come across very many in the genres I enjoy (mostly black/death metal, haha).

as explained in the Opeth board NSBM thread...

I have no problem with bands promoting their various religions. we all think different things and its interesting to hear what others have to say. when they go bashing on organizations (like churches) i don't mind so much, because no organization is perfect. however, when they go bashing on pure beliefs held by others, that's not cool with me, regardless of what religion is in question.

I keep wanting to use the Split Thread option and then realising "NO, THIS ISN'T THE GMD FORUM GoD, YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE." :(

For now, I'm content to say that I prefer any expressions against anything to come through in the music, rather than in interviews or lyrics alone. I won't listen to something that expresses a worldview I detest.

GoD - yeah i'll start a new thread. Everyone direct your answers to my question to the new thread, and you guys can copy/paste your posts to it if the mood strikes you :headbang:

Free will thingy:
An idea which appeals to me is that the universe is made up of infinite parts, but it did have a beginning because the parts were not always expressed in the way the universe expresses them. Regardless, the only way there could be a "first cause" in creation is if it existed atemporally and created the rules of time and causality without being restricted to them itself.

You don't explain how a cause can be at once a cause and also be outside the "causal system". If it caused something (even the universe and time itself) then the causeal system exists. If the causal system doesn't exist then it isn't the first cause. This seems like an ad hoc theory designed purely to get causality into the picture, but as I think we have shown causality is an incoherant system. The answer I would subscribe to is Kant's notion of a trancendental aesthetic. Stuff like causality is produced by the way we view the world. To be rational beings requires us to order things spatio temporally, and causality comes from this ordering of the world. It has no real existence outside of our perception. Attepts to explain causality as something that exists externally to us are just incoherant.

----
Some of you have wanted me to elaborate on Spinoza, and there seems to be a lot of skepticism that his pantheism equates to the Christian/Jewish God.
- Who was he? He is some enlightenment philosopher who is famous for a rational proof of God and his system of ethics : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinoza)
He offers a view of an immortal omnipotent omnipresent God, who works above our understanding. What constitutes a deity is a subjective judgement, wheither or not this is compatible with the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God is a question for individual believers. I think they are viewpoints that compliment each other.

His conclusions follow from what everyone seems to be describing as "formal" reasoning or something equivalent, and the implication seems to be this is incompatible with common sense. To me it is quite the reverse, the way of setting out an arguement in a formal manner if anything makes it that much more cogent and easy to accept. To use formal reason is to use what it is that makes an arguement compelling. People seem to be dismissing this with no real explaination why. :confused:
-----
A person only ever acts because he/she chooses to do so, a person only ever makes choices based on his/her own values (in the broader, not necessarily ideological sense), a person only ever values something because it benefits him/her from his/her own perspective (I didn't mean objectively).

I don't think we are always this rational... In my experiance people frequently do things becasue it "feels right", not because they are thinking about the action and its concequences.

------
About the spread of Christianity being stained with blood -
It's spread wasn't clear cut. Normally what would happen is the local king or lord would accept Christianity and the people would follow. The early church integrated a lot of old beliefs with the new Christian ones and on the whole it was accepted. Most the fighting happened once Christianity had already spread, and was between different Christian factions.
The missionarys during the period of European imperialism were equally mixed.
Ultimatly I think it is hard to win true converts if you use force, and the strength of the church in places like Africa is testament in my view to the fact that the missionaries won a lot of true beleivers. Of course attrocities happened but I don't think this is indicative of the message of Christianity.

I still have a problem accepting that there is any fundamental difference between pre and post Christian morality, the idea that, to use your example, killing someone became inherantly wrong only after the arival of Christianity seems mistaken. The wrongness of killing seems to me to be due to the way as humans we place value on other human life. This is however a common theme in many cultures, to take one example, the idea of killing for a Buddhist is totally wrong. I don't think Chrisitans can claim to have invented the notion that a human life has inherant value.

---------
Now for the crux of the arguement:

Posting here right now could potentially help people out of a stagnant mindset as far as I'm concerned (though my primary reason for it is to strengthen myself via my own learning, as I think we're too late in trying to save this civilisation to make it the primary objective). Giving them pleasure and comfort would not. Even if I were to shower them in it, they would be able to repay me with nothing of worth.

As humans we posess free will and a blank future in which to exercise it, this alone gives us almost unlimited potential. However this is only possible with a healthy and balanced mind, and I think many people lack this. A "stagnant mindset" would be one where someone is locked into a way of thinking that starves their potential, and is therefore self-destructive. I don't want to tell people what to think or how to live, but as a pure observation, the people I know who have a balanced and healthy mind are very much the ones who "flourish".
Ultimatly living well is a personal thing. People have to walk for themsleves, and while it may seem you are doing them a favour by carrying them, in reality you merely allow them to stagnate. Then again even the strongest people sometimes need help. True compassion is knowing the difference and helping people enough to allow them to walk for themselves. Showering someone in pleasure and comfort is probably the worst thing you can do, as it breeds stagnation in the highest degree. However the answer is surely not to totally starve people of any sort of emotional contact? This would just produce the other extreeme of a society full of people living in the lonely dispair of unafirmed existence.
The main critisism of Chrisian morality seems to stem from examples of apparently helping people when really you are harming them. I don't however think that this is a flaw in Chrisitanity, but more people's ignorance of the implications of their actions. Did Jesus make the cripples rich men so they could be waited on hand a foot for the rest of their lives? no he healed them so they could walk on their own and help themselves.

About the universe expanding thing. Well the reason scientist surmize the universe was once some kind of whole mass is becasuse of two things. One is red shift, that is when the wavelength of radition is warped because the source is moving away. Think of it as a spring. The farther you pull spring a part, the coils become farther apart aswell. All celstial bodies in the universe are in one way or another moving away from us because scientist compare the known wavelength light from hydrogen to that read from the stars. Another reason is that scientists conceed the idea is because there is ambient radiation called the cosmic microwave back ground. Scientist theorise that this the left overs of the Big bang explosion. Kind of like the smoke and debri so to speak. The big bang is evidence to a higher power. Your theory of something outside of time/space creating it and therefore being outside it and not dictated by it, supports creationism as well. Furthermore, if such was the case with God, he would not have to be created by something, rather, he just is, just as he called himself "I am" in the old testament.

Another thing to ponder is the laws of thermo dymanics. The first being that energy/matter is neither created or destroyed. One could interpret this, as I do, that the universe is a finished work. Another is the third law of thermodynamics which explains that the emount of ussable energy in the universe becomes less and less, enthopy. Like when a star glows sending light to every reach of the universe, but some of those rays, will never be absorbed and turned into heat, or reflected, they simply are "wasted." This supports that the universe is like winding clock, It was created, finished, and now is slowly dieing.

Another thing, what is this thign about the fall of civilization? Do you even know who we have to thank for music, the classics, and keeping civilization reckognizable through the dark ages? A bunch of fucking Christian monks. I'm not to big on the catholic church, especially on all that bullshit they pulled back then, but hell, if anything, chistianity has done more for "civilization" than not. Sir Isaac Newton was christian. Albert Einstein believed in God. Thanx to those guys I can type on this keyboard and have that data stransmitted into this computer..you guys get the point.

The only thing that ever stops "civilization" is fucking ignorance, and that knows no race/relgion/or genre of rap music. :lol:

100% agreed with metalheadmarc

if the big bang did in fact occur (suppose for discussion) then where did all that matter come from in the first place? it can't explode out of nothing.

if matter cannot be created or destroyed, then where did matter originate from? what initially set the amount of matter that exists?

these questions point to, at least, a body or being outside of our universal plane that set the initial conditions of our reality. again, assuming the big bang even happened.

I really don't have enough time to go through all the replies (cause I am sure that most of them are quite...huge).
First of all, I am not a religious person, thus despite me being baptised as a Christian, I actually am not.
A couple of years ago I would start bashing all christians that listen to metal (ok, the dark side of metal say), for the same reasons that half of the population in this site does.
But, really, all I can say at the end of the day, is it all depends on why you call yourself a Christian, what is it that you like about it and makes you feel better etc. I have met people that call themselves a Christian and they love listening to BM, and I have met people that call themselves Christians and they hate metal because they say that it is satan's music etc. Obviously, there are different reasons for choosing Christianity between those two kinds of people. Who is the "tr00" Christian? I don't know because I have not done any deep research in Christianity. Do what you wanna do, BUT be true to yourself and to others cause when you are not, then bashing awaits and that's because you don't know what you want and who you are. People will point at someone because he either wants to be metal/cool, or jesus-saves/cool, in other words they are not themselves. You persuade better when you believe in what you say you believe in, whatever this is (even if that is a combination of christianity/satanism, ok that's BS, but i'm trying to make a point here). All these, to conclude and sum up: Things are not black & white.
Anyway, that's it from my point of view. I'll read the other replies later..

i agree, and i've been advocating that. don't become christian just to be cool (or uncool, whatever). don't be antichristian just to be cool. believe what you truly believe, and say what you truly believe. i'd bash those people just as fast as you would. they don't know what they're talking about.

I'm not Christian, I'm Muslim. There are endless similarities, and a few key differences, mostly in the perception of God and the role of humans in the world.

I'll be terse. It is all too easy to force beliefs on others. If, like GoD, one truly detests a worldview akin to the Judeo-Christian one, they're free to do so. However, there is no proof here. No "right" or "wrong." Worldview is personal, as is faith, belief, etc. It is the individual's interpretation of the world around them.

I have questioend God, faith, religion, and I have pondered the arguments raised against them all. I have adapted my religion to my own personal convictions. I do not fear death in any unnatural manner (I accept it'll come when it's time, but I try to avoid it in an animal sense of self-preservation), and I certainly do not fear Hell. If I am sent to Hell for living my life as I see fit, I am prepared. In honesty, I believe I will be absolved of my adaptations, as they are simply disagreements, and not sins. God is benevolent.

On the concept of God, all I'll say is that even after deep thought and questioning, the concept of a "Great Bearded Guy In The Sky" or whatever is what *feels* right. In my mind, God is not represented. He is a concept, not a being per se.

Reason cannot deal with the depths of human life. I feel faith is one of those things. The wind cannot be seen, but we know it is there. The Tooth Fairly may be real. I don't believe in it, so I don't care either way. My nephew might; that's his prerogative.

It is up to the individuals to dictate. I believe. That's it.

If there's anything I resent, it is the forcing of beliefs. I have never supported it. Faith must be found by the self. If a man came to me wishing to convert, I would stand as a silent witness. I would not wheedle him into it. In fact, I would ask him to question himself long and hard before going through with it. I would support a conversion out of the faith as well. It's wholly personal. I have no guarantee that I'm right, and that the Daoist monks aren't the ones with the right idea. All I know is that I believe what I believe.

I cannot debate the merits of religion. I can only defend my own faith.

anonymousnick2001 said:
If there's anything I resent, it is the forcing of beliefs. I have never supported it. Faith must be found by the self. If a man came to me wishing to convert, I would stand as a silent witness. I would not wheedle him into it. In fact, I would ask him to question himself long and hard before going through with it. I would support a conversion out of the faith as well. It's wholly personal. I have no guarantee that I'm right, and that the Daoist monks aren't the ones with the right idea. All I know is that I believe what I believe.

I cannot debate the merits of religion. I can only defend my own faith.
right on.

Korona said:
You don't explain how a cause can be at once a cause and also be outside the "causal system". If it caused something (even the universe and time itself) then the causeal system exists. If the causal system doesn't exist then it isn't the first cause. This seems like an ad hoc theory designed purely to get causality into the picture, but as I think we have shown causality is an incoherant system. The answer I would subscribe to is Kant's notion of a trancendental aesthetic. Stuff like causality is produced by the way we view the world. To be rational beings requires us to order things spatio temporally, and causality comes from this ordering of the world. It has no real existence outside of our perception. Attepts to explain causality as something that exists externally to us are just incoherant.

Like I say, I'm still studying this. These are interesting reads from Atheist and more objective perspectives:

http://www.faithnet.org.uk/AS Subjects/Philosophyofreligion/kalam.htm
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/dan_barker/kalamity.html
http://atheism.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.talkreason.org/articles/Craig.cfm

He offers a view of an immortal omnipotent omnipresent God, who works above our understanding. What constitutes a deity is a subjective judgement, wheither or not this is compatible with the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God is a question for individual believers. I think they are viewpoints that compliment each other.

Still, nothing suggests the existence of a Christian/Jewish/Muslim God, so I’ll move on.

I don't think we are always this rational... In my experiance people frequently do things becasue it "feels right", not because they are thinking about the action and its concequences.

I didn't say it had to be conscious. I maintain that something only “feels right" because of what I said.

I don't think Chrisitans can claim to have invented the notion that a human life has inherant value.

I didn't say that, I just said Christians were the ones who made human life the ultimate value of the West.

Pre-Christian Western society shared Romanticist values of heroism, integration with Nature, honour, etc. Achieving something great in life was more important than the life itself, and death was accepted not only as being inevitable but often necessary for evolution. It was often a sad event, but it wasn’t evil, and killings would be done if required.

http://www.anus.com/zine/philosophy/index_society.html may be of interest to you, on a fairly relevant note.

Ultimatly living well is a personal thing. People have to walk for themsleves, and while it may seem you are doing them a favour by carrying them, in reality you merely allow them to stagnate. Then again even the strongest people sometimes need help. True compassion is knowing the difference and helping people enough to allow them to walk for themselves. Showering someone in pleasure and comfort is probably the worst thing you can do, as it breeds stagnation in the highest degree. However the answer is surely not to totally starve people of any sort of emotional contact? This would just produce the other extreeme of a society full of people living in the lonely dispair of unafirmed existence.

In this current society which conditions people to think in opposition to me, helping the majority of people to have the potential to *find their own paths* would be like giving my enemies the potential to more than likely oppose me more powerfully. 99.9% of people who can “walk for themselves” by your definition, do nothing but make things worse. I value people who can break away from external constructs and view things as how they are, and these people are few and far between. Helping others to walk on their own two feet *can* be worthwhile, but usually not. I’m a firm believer that a progressive society can’t be based upon the will and power of the crowd, and that only a few are born to lead.

This was my original point though: people usually help others yet don’t ask for anything to be given back to them. The “selflessness” of this is tempting, but illusory. In actual fact these people show far more stagnancy in society than those who help others knowing its for their own benefits, in that even when they’re willing to sacrifice their own material comfort for something (rarely), it’s to relieve their own pity/guilt under the illusion of selflessness and thus “goodness”, instead of striving for a better future as a whole. Pity promotes the weak and opposes the strong. Strength is a great value of mine. Christianity, and its secular forms which run this Earth, make sure many of the supposedly objective values are founded deep in the realms of pity.

Some of you have wanted me to elaborate on Spinoza, and there seems to be a lot of skepticism that his pantheism equates to the Christian/Jewish God.
- Who was he? He is some enlightenment philosopher who is famous for a rational proof of God and his system of ethics : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinoza)

I disagree regarding their compatibility. Spinoza is vehemently opposed to an anthropomorphized God, which is exactly what Christians worship.

Even if he didn't, I was yet to see anything that suggested the Christian deity was based in reason.

Thanks for those links btw, I think I found them in one of your posts.

first of all, Christianity does not frown upon strength. instead, it applauds strength. those who have the mental or physical strength to achieve great things are encouraged to do so. we want to make life better. i'll agree that there is hardly (if at all) any such thing as a selfless act. but sacrifice for a cause does exist. i do think that we human beings can be strong, can help out for our own purposes or just on a whim. Christianity is not trying to impede that. i also disagree that such people are "stagnant." those who seek change and become that conduit of improvement are anything but stagnant.

like you, i value strength. strength to achieve feats of physical power, as well as mental strength. strength to continue with a charge, even at the end of that capacity. as you said, individual lives are important, but if the situation occurs, it is noble to give that life for the cause.

like you, i value honor. honor and integrity. these are core values to christianity and i do not see how you overlook that. honor is very important. revenge, however, as i infer you may include in that definition, (such as the case "to avenge my dead brother's honor in battle! etc.) is not honor. revenge is a product of hate. i beleive that an honorable warrior would always combat defensively. in defense of ideas, property, or fellow people such as friends, family. i think it is dishonorable to "strike back".

as i've stated before, achieving great things is something we all aspire to do. Christianity does not shun this either. it's not communism. you seem to have equated it as such with your views of it. and as for nature, nowhere in Christianity does it say "ignore nature". if anything, it holds nature (as God's creation) in high regard, and that we should respect the other life of this planet. why else would God instruct Noah to take with him 2 of every animal?

the whole point of this post is, i am doing what i see as the honorable warrior, defending my beliefs and the faith's ideals from what i see as misinterpretation or inaccurate understandings.