Thrash vs NWOBHM?

i think it's more thrashy thank Kill Em All and Show No Mercy. But regardless those are all 5-star classics in my book. And we all seem to enjoy them so cheers! :kickass:
indeed. I love thrash regardless. I know Im ranking on em here. But for something I've loved since I was young I gotta be able to rank on it. And of course I'll probably rank on the nwobhm too. Even though in my book I have a preference towards it.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
But other than that. I will say, the downside to the nwobhm was that for every 2 or 3 good bands there was like 4 shitty ones. Some of them were just terrible pub rock bands. *Cough Marseilles cough* I don't think I can say the same for thrash.

Heavy metal any day of the week, while there might be more quality thrash metal bands than NWOBHM bands the bands that are good are really fucking good. I'll listen to Maiden or Judas any day of the week over the majority of thrash metal bands.

Reactions: PrincessHades
BTW, I'm going to a friend's house for a NWOBHM session.

Feels like the 80's again.

well yeah they're thrash. But killing is my business was in my book pure speed metal. And these days listening to their more recent material. It doesn't sound as thrashy as peace sells or rust in peace. Could thrash possibly just be the natural evolution of the nwobhm.

I don't consider Maiden's debut album to be thrashy at all. It has more of a punk feeling, IMO. Killers is more "thrash" than the debut.

NWOBHM, because so much of it is unheard. Thrash really got overmarketed by record companies. You just hear so much of it. Thrash did well in the 80s because it was more hardcore and down to earth than most glam metal, but it wasn't as offensive to mainstream dumbasses as stuff like Venom or Bathory. I'm not saying that its bad, it just happened to fill a niche so I just end up hearing it too much.

There is a lot in the way of unexplored NWOBHM. It can be a blast going on youtube and looking up Angel Witch or something and going through the suggestions to get to really obscure stuff.

Still, when you compare the best thrash releases, they are better than the best NWOBHM albums.

Heavy metal any day of the week, while there might be more quality thrash metal bands than NWOBHM bands the bands that are good are really fucking good. I'll listen to Maiden or Judas any day of the week over the majority of thrash metal bands.
Thrash metal, can be very monotonous and boring, and many old thrash bands turned into mainstream acts (as Metallica), but the genre has something that make it better than traditional heavy metal, thrash metal is fast and agressive, is a perfect genre for concerts.

About NWOBHM and traditional metal, I love traditional metal, because is not as heavy as thrash, groove, power, or any other non-extreme genre, but it's still a heavy genre. I love the guitars in all the Iron Maiden songs, and in Judas Priest songs as well, I like the riffs of Black Sabbath's s/t, they are like a heavier blues rock, and the riffs of Paranoid, War Pigs, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, ect, are awesome, Thrash metal doesn't have a lot of original riffs, thrash is more generic than heavy metal actually.

Voices in thrash metal are harsh and usually are shouts, most of the classic singers (Ozzy, Halford, ect) doesn't shout, they actually sing trying to stick to the song, trying to make harmony, thrash metal doesn't, it's more about speed and agressiveness than harmony and melody.

It's hard to compare those genres, both are very different.

NWOBHM, because so much of it is unheard. Thrash really got overmarketed by record companies. You just hear so much of it. Thrash did well in the 80s because it was more hardcore and down to earth than most glam metal, but it wasn't as offensive to mainstream dumbasses as stuff like Venom or Bathory. I'm not saying that its bad, it just happened to fill a niche so I just end up hearing it too much.

There is a lot in the way of unexplored NWOBHM. It can be a blast going on youtube and looking up Angel Witch or something and going through the suggestions to get to really obscure stuff.

Still, when you compare the best thrash releases, they are better than the best NWOBHM albums.
Another of thrash metal enemy back then was hardcore punk actually, both genres were similar, but for some reason hardcore fans didn't like thrash a lot. Thrash has a very limited replay value for me. I prefer thrash as more of an added spice to accentuate riffs in other genres, rather than listening to much straight-ahead thrash metal. I like a good heavy or glam metal album with some thrashy riffs. Just love the classic rock guitar style and amping it up to heavy metal intensity is awesome. And the thing about thrash vs hair metal is greatly exaggerated.

Last edited:
I prefer NWOBHM on average. I'm more picky about which thrash bands I listen to (mainly a case of not liking the vocals I guess). Metallica and Megadeth are favourites, but beyond that the NWOBHM easily wins. Some of my favourite NWOBHM songs are from bands that recorded very little, so most of it's great all the way down to those flash-in-the-pan bands.

I think you are a little biased LOL

Awaiting the new TR album eagerly.

Well, maybe... but I play thrash because I like thrash the best! And bear in mind that Iron Maiden are my first love, and I've seen them 43 times with another 5 gigs on the cards for this summer! And they are the quintessential NWOBHM band. But I've tried loads of other NWOBHM over the years thinking that I ought to like it and for the most part it's laughably tame, naive or just downright bad. Angelwitch, Saxon... just lots of bad, bad songs! (Sorry to people who like them... but I can't find much to enjoy there). Thrash has a genuine edge to it that's still sharp today. Even the worst thrash bands (and there were some bad ones) felt a tad dangerous...

The new Thrashist is coming... next week!! Did you see the vids?

(Please remove them if you think I'm crossing the line of blatant self-promotion and violating any rules!)

The new Thrashist is coming... next week!! Did you see the vids?

No! So cool, thanks.

(Please remove them if you think I'm crossing the line of blatant self-promotion and violating any rules!)

In your case does not apply, since you have been here for a long time, and actually I started the topic by mentioning the band.

On the other hand, your comment regarding Saxon is cause for being hung, drawn and quartered :p

Reactions: Hawk
:tickled: Yeah, I thought that might not go down too well with some here. Still, it's my opinion... they just don't write great songs!

blasphemy.jpg

Reactions: Caveman Ninja