Tone competition 2 round 1

Which of these has your favorite guitar tone?

• A

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • AA

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • AZ

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • B

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • BB

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • BY

Votes: 62 55.4%
  • C

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BY got my vote too before reading other comments. It has a nice mix of clarity and low-end without being too middy or scooped :headbang:

hm.... opinions from which one is better (specially by my fav mixers here) may influence... just thought. But in any case, that's why i asked if there wasn't a mistake 'cause the loudness of that tone, it stands out like it or not...

I'd like a mix of BY and C, but since theres too much going on for me in the high freq mi chose C for beeing less extreme ;)

hm.... opinions from which one is better (specially by my fav mixers here) may influence... just thought. But in any case, that's why i asked if there wasn't a mistake 'cause the loudness of that tone, it stands out like it or not...

Nope, no mistake. Double checked everything. It is louder than most, but not against the rules. Don't like it, don't vote for it simple as that :p.

BY is without many doubts the best. BB is too loud and too honky and isnt even mixed with the backing track IMO.

BY worked best with the backing tracks... BB would sound nice on it's own, but this is about working in a mix.... and BB didn't work in the mix at all.

-0z-

^ It should, the person doing the tone was supposed to be mixing it so it'd fit the backing tracks well. I just realized I rushed mine (listening to it on my dropbox) and made it sound good but not loud enough. We all learn with this!

i really think BB should redo their levels and redo this part 1.

the flawed mixing should not affect the judgment of tone.

BB was lucky to have been included in the first place. If BB doesn't win because of the mixing it is his own fault. The drums and bass sounded changed on his, so we put his guitar files onto the standard supplied backing track. If he had exported his guitar files at an appropriate level he wouldn't have this problem. Hell, if he had read the rules we wouldn't have had to change his tracks.

Not redoing part 1.

My thoughts:

A: Not very good. Sounds filtered in a weird sort of way.
AA: Sounds pretty good, but a little too muffled. Needs more bite.
AZ: Way, way too bright. Hurts my ears.
B: Pretty good, but guitars are a little too low in volume. Would probably get more votes if the guitars were mixed louder.
BY: Good, but not perfect. It could be smoother and more polished sounding. There's some high frequency sticking out a little too much. Also would be better if guitars were a little bit lower so that the drums and bass had more impact.
C: Also pretty good, but sounds a little too mid heavy. It would probably sound a lot better if the backing track had more bass (which is something almost everyone has agreed on... The bass is not loud enough in the backing track.)
BB: Sounds fairly good, but too loud... covering up the backing track too much. It would be better if the guitars were lower.

I think BY and C sound the best. I don't know which I'll pick as I like and dislike different things about each.